Perezhogin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Spitfire11 said:
Although it makes no difference on Perezhogin's suspension, nothing would have happened had Stafford been wearing a visor.

Visors do not protect the mouth. One full season suspension. We must continue to provide a deterent from these things happening. 20 games? I don't think that will send any shockwaves through any arena.

This to me mirrors the Ciccarrelli incident.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Wade Belak just got suspended 8-9 games for a similar hit...

Oh I forget... Belak is a superstar, so it doesn't matter

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
SabresIn05 said:
This is false. Stafford's intent was far less than Perezhogin's. I agree, Stafford does deserve a suspension, now that I've seen it more time. Stafford gets 5-10, Perezhogin gets 30+. Had Stafford's intent been to decapitate Perezhogin, you can see by how his stick flew around, that he had the capacity to do so. In no way, shape, or form could Stafford have connected with Perezhogin's face the way they were down.

We're not punishing because one missed and one didn't. Let's say you narrowly miss me with a high stick and I come back around and WITH A FULL SWING (which is the real issue here) give you a two-handed home run cut to the face. It's not the idea that one missed and one didn't. It's the severity of the intent.

I think you're rationalizing. Stafford was facing Perezhogin and swung for his head. Perezhogin had his back to him and swung for his knees or hip. You can tell me from the comfort of your house you know the intent of either player? This looks like an incident that if you live by the sword you die by the sword. They both swung their sticks at the head. They both deserve the same penalty.

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
onice said:
I think you're rationalizing. Stafford was facing Perezhogin and swung for his head. Perezhogin had his back to him and swung for his knees or hip. You can tell me from the comfort of your house you know the intent of either player? This looks like an incident that if you live by the sword you die by the sword. They both swung their sticks at the head. They both deserve the same penalty.

I can at least tell you Perezhogin's from his wind-up. Perezhogin had the wind-up halted until he noticed Stafford get to his knees. How do they both deserve the same penalty? Stafford might never play again. Perezhogin will.

Thomas

Jul 10, 2003
Waterloo
2minutes.proboards23.com
SabresIn05 said:
This is false. Stafford's intent was far less than Perezhogin's.

Interesting, cause last time I checked nobody here is named Perezhogin or Stafford so how you know what each players intent was is suprising. Your opinion is completely basless, who knows what was going through both players heads.

Its playoff hockey and they were in front of the net. Neither of them wanted to injure the other, Stafford wanted to get a message across. Luckily for Stafford his original two hand slashe just missed Perezhogin because Perezhogin stayed down, and unluckily for both Perezhogin and Staffrd, Perezhogin's slash came at the exact same time as Stafford was getting up.

Both showed unsportsman like qualities using their sticks as weapons and both should be punished for it, though Perezhogin should get the longer suspension because it did injure Stafford. But to end Perezhogin's career for a heat of the moment incident rather than a premeditated one is taking it too far.

One can think of it as Staffords "attempted murder" and Perezhogins "murder". They werent trying to kill each other in this context, but the fact remains both took a swing at each other.

Hopefully both can go on and have a succesful career in the NHL, and that this incident starts some discussion about player safety and what makes players lose control like that in game situations.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Taupy said:

If your referring to the Vaananen incident, Ossi was just fine. Stafford on the other hand, could have injuries that haunt him for the rest of his life.

Edit: I conclude that the slash was intended for his legs, but got him up in the face. Im sure Perezhogin wishes he never did that, as it was an accident. There was intent to injure for sure, but I dont think it ranks up there with the other incidents because of the fact the slash to the face was an accident. Its not like he two handed his stick to the guys head after the whistle had blown, golf style. Plus it was in retaliation to Staffords own little slash towards Perezhogin when they were both on the ice.

20 games should suffice

Last edited:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I hope the NHL and AHL learn from this and make visors manditory for all players born in 1975 present and continue it untill everyone in the NHL is wearing one. TOo many players careers have been ruined because of not wearing a visor. Thing is, even though Euros are sometimes called soft (stereotype), a lot of them wear visors compared to north americans. Most young players from Europe wear visors in the NHL (Hossa, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Havlat). Most young players from NA don't (Horton, Weiss, Staal, Bouwmeester,)

I'd rather see than not and wearing visors are the only way to reduce major eye injuries. Players like Mezei, Berard, Stafford, etc... all are living proof that wearing a visor is a good idea. THe NHL needs to do something especially the way pucks are fired now and how sticks are flying around in the air a lot. :shakehead

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
XavierX said:
If your referring to the Vaananen incident, Ossi was just fine. Stafford on the other hand, could have injuries that haunt him for the rest of his life.

Edit: I conclude that the slash was intended for his legs, but got him up in the face. Im sure Perezhogin wishes he never did that, as it was an accident. There was intent to injure for sure, but I dont think it ranks up there with the other incidents because of the fact the slash to the face was an accident. Its not like he two handed his stick to the guys head after the whistle had blown, golf style. Plus it was in retaliation to Staffords own little slash towards Perezhogin when they were both on the ice.

20 games should suffice

Big deal... the hit was still there and he sould not be forgiven...
Did the players must be dead to have a suspension?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
SabresIn05 said:
I can at least tell you Perezhogin's from his wind-up. Perezhogin had the wind-up halted until he noticed Stafford get to his knees. How do they both deserve the same penalty? Stafford might never play again. Perezhogin will.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! you are punishing one because he connected and not punishing the other because he missed. So don't tell me you're disgusted by players who high stick to the head. You're only disgusted by the ones who have the hand-eye coordination to connect. A high stick to the head is a high stick. They both deserve the same amount of time. If you want to rid of this garbage from hockey, they both deserve equal punishment. If you start to rationalize one high stick and condemn another, you'll never get rid ofthis brutality.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What a gutless hit by Perezhogin. Thats the worst hit I have ever seen. He should easily get a year suspension. Did anyone go after him afterwards? Hopefully when Perezhogin does come back someone beats the living crap out of him. Just a gutless hit.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
XavierX said:

20 games should suffice

I agree.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
After seeing this incident on tape, it's even worse than I imagined. This guy should not only recieve the harshest punishment possible, but he should get criminal charges as well. Period.

FTK

Apr 24, 2003
Longueuil
Visit site
I would be shocked if Perez gets anything less than 30 games...But It's not like he did it after the whistle and ran after the guy on the ice to kill him.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Thomas said:
Interesting, cause last time I checked nobody here is named Perezhogin or Stafford so how you know what each players intent was is suprising. Your opinion is completely basless, who knows what was going through both players heads.

Its playoff hockey and they were in front of the net. Neither of them wanted to injure the other, Stafford wanted to get a message across. Luckily for Stafford his original two hand slashe just missed Perezhogin because Perezhogin stayed down, and unluckily for both Perezhogin and Staffrd, Perezhogin's slash came at the exact same time as Stafford was getting up.

Both showed unsportsman like qualities using their sticks as weapons and both should be punished for it, though Perezhogin should get the longer suspension because it did injure Stafford. But to end Perezhogin's career for a heat of the moment incident rather than a premeditated one is taking it too far.

One can think of it as Staffords "attempted murder" and Perezhogins "murder". They werent trying to kill each other in this context, but the fact remains both took a swing at each other.

Hopefully both can go on and have a succesful career in the NHL, and that this incident starts some discussion about player safety and what makes players lose control like that in game situations.

This is interesting, if Pere didn't "want to injure" Stafford, what did he "want" to accomplish by turning, aiming and winding up for a Bonds type swing at Staffords head?

Hey Stafford! Is that a fly on your shoulder?

Hey Stafford, these are the playoffs and I am drawing an invisible line to show you where my personal space is, its right SWING! OOOOOPS! Sorry mate, I didn't mean to try and chop your head off! Let me help you pick up your teeth. Really mate, could you stop convulsing please? Whats that? (leans his head in closer as Stafford spits chicklets and blood while coughing and spasming) HE CALLED ME A RACIST NAME!!! DID YOU HEAR THAT! HE SHOULD HAVE HIS HEAD CUT OF... I mean THAT IS AWFUL.

All kidding aside, Stafford didn't connect and I have seen the replay many times now. I know he swung but to me, it looks like he tried to miss. It is still rubbish and you know what, I would suspend Stafford for three or four games for even swinging his stick in that manner. Rather he tried to hit and then pulled back or not.

Pere is different because, Stafford where ON HIS KNEES when he turned swinging and tried to knock his head off. We can spin it in many different ways, the way i saw it Pere knew Stafford were back there and he swung at his head. He connected. He should be punished severely for it.

Same in true life, attempted agrevated assault is a lesser infraction with lesser sentences then aggrevated assualt is. The difference? One connects the other doesn't.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
canucksfan said:
What a gutless hit by Perezhogin. Thats the worst hit I have ever seen. He should easily get a year suspension. Did anyone go after him afterwards? Hopefully when Perezhogin does come back someone beats the living crap out of him. Just a gutless hit.

If his hit was gutless, why would you him to be hit gutlessly ? And the player who'll hit him this way will need to be hit this way him too ? :shakehead

Thomas

Jul 10, 2003
Waterloo
2minutes.proboards23.com
punchy1 said:
This is interesting, if Pere didn't "want to injure" Stafford, what did he "want" to accomplish by turning, aiming and winding up for a Bonds type swing at Staffords head?

Maybe I should rephrase that, neither of them wanted to severly injure the other person, but in the end Perezhogin did.

Again your assuming Perezhogin went straight for his head. He had his back turned when he started his swing, so really, nobody but Perezhogin himself knows what his target was.

The fact remains Perezhogin did not chase down his opponent as in the other incidents people are bringing up, especially the Bertuzzi and Mcsorely one where they chased their opponent and hit them from behind.

I feel ashamed of having to defend a player that committed such an act, but at the same time I dont understand how one can simply say Perezhogin aimed at his face and wanted to severly injure him and, I feel its panting an unfair portrait of the situation. We will have to wait and see what the various hockey associations and leagues have to say about the hit.

a89mogilny89

As if the video wasn't enough, here are some photos from this morning's Cleveland Plain Dealer that'll help illustrate the hit.

Note that Perezhogin was down on the ice because of Doug Murray and Nick Bootland punching the daylights out of him after the play, not because Stafford hit him with his stick.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Ok, i've watched the clip a few times on my pc, and its absolutely, 100% clear that Stafford knocks down Perezhogin, then takes a two handed swing to Perezhogin's head. He misses, Perezhogin gets up and gives him a two hander to his face.

It was a horrible shot to the face and Perezhogin deserves a long suspension. But talk of a year or even a lifetime suspension is ridiculous. IMO, what Bertuzzi did was much worse, that was a clear premeditated attack on a player from behind. What Perezhogin did was retaliate in the heat of the moment. Stupid, stupid play on his part, but IMO the suspension should be something along the lines of the rest of the playoffs, and 20-30 games next season.

Now i hope Stafford is ok, but he should also not escape suspension. It was pretty clear from the replay that he intended to wack Perezhogin in the head with his stick.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I bet it would be very interesting to cross reference the posts here, vs the various Bertuzzi threads. I suspect a lot of the "it wasn't that bad, he was aiming for his knees" etc posters here were calling for the head of Bertuzzi, lifetime ban etc. Now that it's their player that's involved, the tune has changed.

Myself, I think Perezhogin deserves about 40 games. Attacks with the stick are the most severe, and this is consistent with previous suspensions.

I'd also suspend Stafford for 10 games, he's not so innocent in this.

Verbal Kint*

Taupy said:

Belak lost his balance and didn't even two hand Vaananen.

It seems just a bit too obvious that you are a fan of the :habs

Verbal Kint*

a89mogilny89 said:
As if the video wasn't enough, here are some photos from this morning's Cleveland Plain Dealer that'll help illustrate the hit.

Note that Perezhogin was down on the ice because of Doug Murray and Nick Bootland punching the daylights out of him after the play, not because Stafford hit him with his stick.
From the looks of hat second photo, I think its clear that Perezhogin knew exactly what he was doing.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
PecaFan said:
I bet it would be very interesting to cross reference the posts here, vs the various Bertuzzi threads. I suspect a lot of the "it wasn't that bad, he was aiming for his knees" etc posters here were calling for the head of Bertuzzi, lifetime ban etc. Now that it's their player that's involved, the tune has changed.

Myself, I think Perezhogin deserves about 40 games. Attacks with the stick are the most severe, and this is consistent with previous suspensions.

I'd also suspend Stafford for 10 games, he's not so innocent in this.

have a look at my post on the past page mate. i say the exact same thing.

Though I have actually done the cross referencing and here are a couple of direct qoutes from some of the "it isn't that bad" crew. I won't post names because it will turn this into a pissing/defending themselves contest and that is rubbish but, this is interesting.

One lad who has posted here in support of Perez said " This type of crap is ruining the game. Bertuzzi shouldn't be allowed to ever step on the ice again".

Another said " All of you Canucks fans who are trying to make what he (Bertuzzi) has done sound like it isn't a big deal are disgusting homers who should get a life".
(turns out that this is the polar opposite of what they are saying about Perez)

Still one more Hab supporter said "Totally classless, I hate the Canucks and their fans who are trying to blame this on Moore".

There are a few more but these will suffice to show you how easy some find it to condem the actions of anyone BUT one of their own. Hypocracy rears its ugly head as always.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I completely understand where Bertuzzi came from when he went after that little punk Moore and this is the same thing here.

Both actions have unfortunate consequences but this is a direct result of the blindsiders some people are wearing as to the REAL problems hockey is facing, which are definitly not those type of incidents.

The main difference with the Bertuzzi hit is that there is less premeditation but the use of a stick makes upo for it. That's a weapon when used in this fashion and can have devastating consequences.

The problem in hockey is that most fans and hockey players are totally lacking perspective, as shown abundantly over and over again including on this thread. People basically accept that all sorts of crap can happen, until some guy blows a fuse and raises the odds significantly as a result.

Where are you people from, exactly? Where I come from, you don't take crap and turn the other cheek. Everybody and their mother knows that crap like that little punk Stafford tried to pull, swinging sticks carelessly, happens all the time. And if Perezhogin hadn't retaliated we wouldn't hear a thing about this.

He retaliated and Christ, he was right to do so. I would have done the exact same thing. He didn't swing at Stafford's face, anyone with a brain can clearly see that on the replays. But yeah, he wanted to hurt him: WHICH IS WHAT ANYONE WHO IS TIRED OF TAKING CRAP THAT GOES UNPENALIZED IN THIS GAME is doing more and more.

You want to punish Perzhogin for his actions? I think that's fine. It's reprehensible. You think that sort of stuff will go away with a heavy suspension? It won't.

The way to clean the game of hockey is to have those prime dirty, worthless offenders like Stafford, Moore, Marchment etc. pay for their borderline legal but absolutely dirty plays. Because as long as players will be allowed to abuse their opponents and mess with their lives (Moore could have easily maimed Naslund for life and Stafford's attempt was actually WORSE than Perezhogin) I garantee you you will see more and more bonehead plays like the ones by Bertuzzi and Perezhogin.

This league needs to stop obsessing with retaliation and start doing the right things. This isn't isolated to plays leading to injuries. The whole refereeing system is based on retaliation. You punch a guy on the face in front of the referee, no call. The guy punches back: referee sends both guys to the box, or worse, sends only the second guy. What kind of pathetic thinking is that?

Many of the worse incidents in these leagues take place because players are fed up with apathic and downright blind officiating. If you do not have a feeling that the league is backing you up, that the referees protect the players, you've got to stand up for yourself and for your teammates.

Tough luck for Stafford. Next time he takes a blatant, ugly swing at someone's head, he should make sure he doesn't miss.

He had it coming. And if his swing had connected, there would be a major uproar right now and people whining for him to be suspended for life. He is a punk. The league protects them. Good for Perez. He stood for himself. Nobody else will protect you in today's hockey. Shouldn't have hit the face but that's an accident.

Perezhogin is the new Sally Field! :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad