The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
velimiiro said:
You Guys Are Crazy.

This Was An Accident.

Perezhogin Tryed To Slash His Leg.

And It Just So Happens The Guy Was On His Knees.

$hit Happens!

This is my Opinion but it was a careless play. He shouldn't chop anyone like that. He had no clue where Stafford was on the Ice. He brought this upon himself by using his stick as a weapon.

Although. He still tried to injure Stafford. It is made a bigger deal because of the injury. If he got Stafford in the leg he woulda still gotten suspended but he would have failed to get the media attention he now brought upon himself by being careless with the stick.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
it's because we actually saw the play. you are making ur judgemment when you didn't even look at the play and u are basing it on the comments made by the coach. Obvisouly he will be fried up and he would be making the interview with lots of emotion and thoughts.

Look at the play!

evman150*

I wish I could see the slash.

TSN has OTR on, Snet has some stupid business show on and the score has wrestling on.

Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to see it.

A link would be nice.

:(

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Okay, having just seen it, I'd say it can definitely be mentioned in the same breath as the Boulerice, Bertuzzi, and McSorley incidents.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
evman150 said:
I wish I could see the slash.

TSN has OTR on, Snet has some stupid business show on and the score has wrestling on.

Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to see it.

A link would be nice.

:(

Snet pacific didn't even show the clip :shakehead

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
no one can say this is an accident. if you are swinging your stick wildly and there is no puck there, you are COMPLETELY responsible for your stick and any damage it may do.

Serena587

Jun 17, 2003
No Man's Land
Visit site
Barons Press Release, received Saturday @ 2:38 am

BARONS STAFFORD RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

CLEVELAND - Cleveland Barons defenseman Garrett Stafford was released from Hamilton General Hospital early Saturday morning. Stafford was struck in the face with a hockey stick in Game 5 of the North Division Semifinal with the Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday night.

Stafford suffered a third-degree concussion and facial laceration from the result of the blow. Following the strike, Stafford suffered seizure-like convulsions on the ice.

A rookie from the University of New Hampshire, Stafford had a decorated season as he was named as a member of the AHL All-Rookie Team and the AHL Second All-Star Team. The Los Angeles, California native also appeared in the 2004 Pepsi AHL All-Star Game and was named the January AHL Rookie of the Month.

aHab

Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
I haven't seen the slash, let's make that clear right away.

As far as I know, Perezhogin has no history with this kind of incidents. He's not a physical player (McSorley, Bertuzzi...), he's a skill player. I haven't heard him acting out like this during his years in Russia nor earlier during this AHL season.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he was "a target" for Cleveland players, being that he had scored 3+3 in four games already. But to hear him responding like this... that's just weird.

Using the stick as a weapon is totally wrong of course. If he deliberately hit Stafford in the face he should sit for long time (the rest of playoffs for sure and then adding the real penalty). However, I don't understand these "he should never play again" comments given what kind of players are running free in NHL as we speak...

Hopefully Stafford is back soon.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Watching a couple of replays at various speeds on TSN, it was very bad but not significantly worse than several other incidents. By the way, while this does not in any way excuse what Perezhogin did, Stafford swung his stick directly at Perezhogin's head moments before and missed.

I only saw the replay once, but i was sure that i saw a stick swing towards Perezhogin's head before he swung his stick back.

Anyways, doesn't excuse what he did, but a lifetime ban in this case is just way too much. I say 20-40 games, but again that's based on seeing the incident once.

On a side note, can anyone confirm how the AHL/NHL works in this type of a case. If Perezhogin gets a year suspension in the AHL, does this mean that he can't play in the NHL for that year as well?

Mar 1, 2002
Ok....just saw it....and here are my thoughts as a Sharks fan (Cleveland parent club) and someone who has Perezhogin in a Sim league. So, obviously, I have rooting interests on both sides.

1)Stafford took a 2 hander at Perez 1st. He could be suspended for the swing, even though he missed.

2)Perez should have either turned away, or dropped the gloves. You don't swing your stick. You just don't.

3)It looked as if he wanted to slash Stafford around the knees, which is where the swing would have hit had be been on his skates. I don't think that Perez knew he was on his knees.

4)Still, this merits Perez being suspended for a huge amount of games. The lifetime bad talk is just silly. But 20, 30,40, I would say makes sense to me.

5)I hope Stafford is ok. He is a good prospect and has potential to play for the Sharks one day.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Although it makes no difference on Perezhogin's suspension, nothing would have happened had Stafford been wearing a visor.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This first thing I thought when I saw it was that he was going for the legs. But by the time he realized Stafford was on his knees, it was too late.

But that's not an excuse. The point is, he did it. And he deserves whatever punishment is coming to him.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I have to say, I wasn't truly horrified until I saw Stafford convulsing. The slash to the face really didn't look worse than, say, Havlat on Recchi, until the reaction of Stafford. It just goes to show what thin line all the cheapshots in the league tread.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Dangeresque said:

You want a link to what? THe "incident," or the fact that that was an incredibly stupid thing to say?

-If it was the comment, I can't help you out there.

-If it was the slashing incident, try TSN.ca......heck, even ESPN.com had it as a headline.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Wild GM said:
Ok....just saw it....and here are my thoughts as a Sharks fan (Cleveland parent club) and someone who has Perezhogin in a Sim league. So, obviously, I have rooting interests on both sides.

1)Stafford took a 2 hander at Perez 1st. He could be suspended for the swing, even though he missed.

2)Perez should have either turned away, or dropped the gloves. You don't swing your stick. You just don't.

3)It looked as if he wanted to slash Stafford around the knees, which is where the swing would have hit had be been on his skates. I don't think that Perez knew he was on his knees.

4)Still, this merits Perez being suspended for a huge amount of games. The lifetime bad talk is just silly. But 20, 30,40, I would say makes sense to me.

5)I hope Stafford is ok. He is a good prospect and has potential to play for the Sharks one day.

I agree, although I don't know about aiming for the knees. I think Perezhogin just turned around, blinded by madness apparently, and swung at whatever was there. You can't let your emotions take over when you're wielding a weapon.

Another point, about Stafford's two hander. When things like the Perezhogin or Bertuzzi incidents happen, people like to say it's because that player is an anomaly in hockey, an animal. But the fact that the exact same attempt to decapitate someone happened twice on the same play, it makes me wonder what's going through the heads of all these players. There's no respect these days when it comes to keeping your stick low and not using it as a weapon. A ban for the playoffs and 40 games next season seems right to me. Wasn't premeditated, which I guess gives some leniency, but it was still brutal.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Ugly incident and I imagine Perezhogin will be gone for at least half of next season, if not longer. Talk of a life time ban is just silly though.

Stafford did swing at him first but Perez' reaction was over the line. He took a two handed tomahawk chop at him and even though the fact he connected with his face was purely by chance it was still a wicked slash that has no place in hockey. First and foremost we have to hope that Stafford recovers. Its definitely a good sign that he's been released from the hospital already. Of secondary importance is what happens to Perez. He will be suspended for a long time and this incident will haunt him throughout his career.

On a side note, I believe the NHL recognizes AHL suspensions. Additionally the IIHF also recognizes NHL suspensions, and since Perezhogin is under contract to Montreal he won't be able to escape to Europe and play there.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Taupy said:
Garrett Stafford used some racist word... and he pumped up Perezhogin.

I think he says something really bad. Anyway, it always happen in the AHL.

Rubbish. No link or anything that could come close to substiating that ANYTHING "racist" were said.

Also, to krypt and the rest of the Habs fans who are actually trying to put the "this isn't that bad or he swung first or saying ANYTHING in ANY way that is in defence of what this coward did, you lot should simply be ashamed of your words regarding this situation.

I went and had a look at what a couple of you had to say about the Bertuzzi incedent regarding the play and Canucks fans for trying to defend or make that dispicable play seem less then it were.

Instead of posting all of these quotes, I will say this, to those of you who are spewing your rubbish about how this isn't all that bad and such, you might want to have a look at what you said about Canuck fans and Bertuzzi and then ask yourself if you are a hypocrite or are simply wrong.

That hit is what is wrong with hockey today.

That ANYONE thinks that they can use their sticks in ANY fashion (spearing,slashing etc) in that manner is a large part of why we are seeing so many concussions and highsticking incidents that cause serious injuries on the rise.

There is no place for it in the game of hockey ANYWHERE. Period.

Should Pere be "banned for life"? I don't think so. I think he should have to be suspended without hearing until after Stafford is free of his injury AND THEN the league should have a hearing about how long he should be suspended AND THEN he should be allowed to start serving his suspension. After that is done, he should be forced to have to apply for re instatement.

If I am the commish, I wouldn't allow it on the first application. I would make a final example of him in this rubbish. I would do the same with Bertuzzi. Make him have to wait another month and then, if he is truly capable of showing contrition for his grotesque actions, he should be reinstated and allowed to move on to his career with no further mention of the incident.

It is shameful to see people defend this nonsense simply because he belongs to their team. Especially when some of you lot were the loudest bashing Bertuzzi and the Canucks fans for his similar scat.

If it were a player on my team, as sort of happened when Avery punched a player in the back of the head while he were face down, I would say what I did then and that is that IF that player were injured that Avery should have been made to sit out the season and try to be reinstated the next year.

Any intent to injure action that the league finds a player guilty of should end that players season on the spot. They should have to try being reinstated every new season until they get their spot back.

It is a privilege to be allowed to play in the NHL/AHL, not a right. Players that pull this crap should be reminded of it.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
punchy1 said:
Rubbish. No link or anything that could come close to substiating that ANYTHING "racist" were said.

Also, to krypt and the rest of the Habs fans who are actually trying to put the "this isn't that bad or he swung first or saying ANYTHING in ANY way that is in defence of what this coward did, you lot should simply be ashamed of your words regarding this situation.

I went and had a look at what a couple of you had to say about the Bertuzzi incedent regarding the play and Canucks fans for trying to defend or make that dispicable play seem less then it were.

Instead of posting all of these quotes, I will say this, to those of you who are spewing your rubbish about how this isn't all that bad and such, you might want to have a look at what you said about Canuck fans and Bertuzzi and then ask yourself if you are a hypocrite or are simply wrong.

That hit is what is wrong with hockey today.

That ANYONE thinks that they can use their sticks in ANY fashion (spearing,slashing etc) in that manner is a large part of why we are seeing so many concussions and highsticking incidents that cause serious injuries on the rise.

There is no place for it in the game of hockey ANYWHERE. Period.

Should Pere be "banned for life"? I don't think so. I think he should have to be suspended without hearing until after Stafford is free of his injury AND THEN the league should have a hearing about how long he should be suspended AND THEN he should be allowed to start serving his suspension. After that is done, he should be forced to have to apply for re instatement.

If I am the commish, I wouldn't allow it on the first application. I would make a final example of him in this rubbish. I would do the same with Bertuzzi. Make him have to wait another month and then, if he is truly capable of showing contrition for his grotesque actions, he should be reinstated and allowed to move on to his career with no further mention of the incident.

It is shameful to see people defend this nonsense simply because he belongs to their team. Especially when some of you lot were the loudest bashing Bertuzzi and the Canucks fans for his similar scat.

If it were a player on my team, as sort of happened when Avery punched a player in the back of the head while he were face down, I would say what I did then and that is that IF that player were injured that Avery should have been made to sit out the season and try to be reinstated the next year.

Any intent to injure action that the league finds a player guilty of should end that players season on the spot. They should have to try being reinstated every new season until they get their spot back.

It is a privilege to be allowed to play in the NHL/AHL, not a right. Players that pull this crap should be reminded of it.

I agree fully AND I think that Strafford deserves the same punishment as Perezhogin. Are we punishing for high sticks to the head or because one player connected and the other one missed?

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
Taupy said:
Stafford pulled a Ribeiro

I really don't care if I banned for this post.

What the hell makes you think that anybody is going to respect you for a comment as stupid as that? A comment with that sort of ignorance gives all the notion that all hockey fans enjoy the animality of the game. Not only should you be ashamed for your bogus attempt at humor, but you should realize something. There's a kid, in a Cleveland hospital right now (as my guess is he was released to Cleveland for further treatment) whose career is in jeopardy and you go and make a ridiculous jackass post. That is far and away the most ignorant and arrogant line I have ever heard. Congratulations for looking just as pathetic as Perezhogin who committed the crime.

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
onice said:
I agree fully AND I think that Strafford deserves the same punishment as Perezhogin. Are we punishing for high sticks to the head or because one player connected and the other one missed?

This is false. Stafford's intent was far less than Perezhogin's. I agree, Stafford does deserve a suspension, now that I've seen it more time. Stafford gets 5-10, Perezhogin gets 30+. Had Stafford's intent been to decapitate Perezhogin, you can see by how his stick flew around, that he had the capacity to do so. In no way, shape, or form could Stafford have connected with Perezhogin's face the way they were down.

We're not punishing because one missed and one didn't. Let's say you narrowly miss me with a high stick and I come back around and WITH A FULL SWING (which is the real issue here) give you a two-handed home run cut to the face. It's not the idea that one missed and one didn't. It's the severity of the intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->