Perezhogin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big P

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
This is the Worst thing I have ever seen! The Sutter incident cross-checking Kariya used to be at the top of my worst incident list. But Perezhogin should never ever be allowed to play hockey again!
I saw the hit and I thought it was incredibly brutal, but no ones life should be ruined because of one mistake espescially considering that it's most probable that he'll never do anything even close to that ever again. I say suspend him until next february.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
The Big P said:
I saw the hit and I thought it was incredibly brutal, but no ones life should be ruined because of one mistake espescially considering that it's most probable that he'll never do anything even close to that ever again. I say suspend him until next february.
Tell that to Garrett Stafford.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
RDriesen said:
this is rediculous. so if someone pisses me off in real life, i can just go hit the guy in the face with a hockey stick? come on, id be in jail. i realize there are different sets of "rules" when it comes to sports. but this isnt one of them. if you hit a guy in the face with a hockey stick, i dont care where it is, you should be in jail.

If so, you better start tossing boxers in jail left and right. Remove all contact in sports in general. Then you've gotta get rid of baseball pitchers hitting players.

There are a different set of rules for sports. Simply by playing them, you are entering into a risk of getting hurt, especially in a sport like hockey. I'm not excusing what Perezhogin did, I'm simply saying that you cannot allow the courts to get involved in sports incidents.

If a player died due to a body check, does the checker deserve to go to jail, even if it's a clean hit? Actually, this happened in Italy last year, some guy shot a puck into a guys chest, killed the guy, and the guy who shot the puck went to jail on manslaughter (or the italian equivilent). Ridiculous, aint it?

EDIT: Never say 'ever'.. or was it never say never.. I suppose there would be the odd case where criminal charges would be appropriate, but this is not one of them - something much more serious would have to go down in my mind.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I would say this is similar to McSorley, but not as bad as incidents such as the Maki-Green swordfight. Since I've never seen Richard's infamous tomahawk chops I can't base any judgement on them.

Thomas

Jul 10, 2003
Waterloo
2minutes.proboards23.com
It was a violent hit, but I just dont see the motive or desire to injure like in the Mcsorely and Bertuzzi incidents. I'm not sure Perezhogin saw his face until the stick had hit Staffords face, he hadnt realised Stafford was on his knees. Its still a horrible misuse of his stick, but I wouldnt say it was a criminal act. Bertuzzi went after Moore and McSorely went after Brashear while this all happened so fast in front of the net.

Hopefully Stafford can continue his NHL career and that Perezhogin isnt given a ridiculous suspension, because I dont see it being that much worse than the Belak or Mcsorely hit. The misuse of the stick was worse, but the intent to take the guy out wasnt there, at least I dont believe judging on how nice Perezhogin is outside of the rink.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
this perezhogin story is getting out of proportion the hit did diserve a suspension but to just think about banning him for life it's just a joke :lol !!
lol i tought it was way worse than that from all your comments about this ...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Watching a couple of replays at various speeds on TSN, it was very bad but not significantly worse than several other incidents. By the way, while this does not in any way excuse what Perezhogin did, Stafford swung his stick directly at Perezhogin's head moments before and missed.

nazzy

Mar 6, 2002
BC
www.gocanucks.net
Epsilon said:
Watching a couple of replays at various speeds on TSN, it was very bad but not significantly worse than several other incidents. By the way, while this does not in any way excuse what Perezhogin did, Stafford swung his stick directly at Perezhogin's head moments before and missed.
I was just going to mention that. Stafford took a pretty big swing at him as well and if that connected, it could've done some damage. What Perezhogin did was a very bad act and he does deserve a lengthy suspension, there's no room for that kind of stuff in the game. But saying that, I don't think he should be banned for life based on this one incident. He made a major mistake, he will have to do the lengthy amount of time that he deserves but it shouldn't ruin his whole career and prevent him from playing in NA again. Calling him a "thug" is going over the line in my opinion, reminds me when people called Bertuzzi that right after the incident. Does he have any past history of slugging guys like this? No. He defiantly does not deserve to be called a thug.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I've already mentioned this in some other threads, but all this talk of a "lifetime ban" and "he shouldn't be allowed to play in North America again" is nonsense. POSSIBLY he could get a lifetime ban from the AHL, although were he to challenge that it court it probably wouldn't stand up. Were the NHL to ban him for life when the incident did not occur during an NHL game, they could almost certainly face a lawsuit, potentially for antitrust violations.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Epsilon said:
I've already mentioned this in some other threads, but all this talk of a "lifetime ban" and "he shouldn't be allowed to play in North America again" is nonsense. POSSIBLY he could get a lifetime ban from the AHL, although were he to challenge that it court it probably wouldn't stand up. Were the NHL to ban him for life when the incident did not occur during an NHL game, they could almost certainly face a lawsuit, potentially for antitrust violations.
AHL Suspensions carry over to the NHL, do they not?
If so, a lifetime AHL ban = lifetime NHL ban.

a89mogilny89

nazzy said:
I was just going to mention that. Stafford took a pretty big swing at him as well and if that connected, it could've done some damage.

Looked like he was trying to free his stick out of Perezhogin's legs to me. Didn't think Staff was attempting to hit Perezhogin in the face, let at all. But when you have a player on the ice, bleeding, lose of many teeth, a broken cheekbone, a third-degree concussion, a seizure, and convulsing, none of you can tell me that something's not right there. Our head coach, Roy Sommer, had this to say:

``I've been doing hockey my whole life and I've never seen anything like it,'' said enraged Barons coach Roy Sommer, who talked about an NHL incident in 2000 when Marty McSorley hit Donald Brashear in the head with his stick.

``That makes the McSorley-Brashear thing look like girl scouts.''

Sommer said he hopes Perezhogin is punished to the full extent possible.

``I don't think this guy should ever play again in North America,'' he said. ``That's a travesty.

``I saw it on tape ... and it's even worse on tape.''

I'm going to stand behind our coach, that was a terrible act. I just saw the clip on ESPN and my heart is still in my throat. From what I witnessed, Perezhogin turned and swung, you don't do that right in front of the net or anywhere with that two-handed swing. He knew Staff was there, they were just getting up off of the ice right after both went down in front. I personally found it appalling. I'm surprised people on this board are calling it laughable that this Perezhogin story is getting out of hand. You call it "not as bad as some" but still, look at what we're left with either way... we got one guy down for the rest of the season, hell, his career might never be the same again, and right now, we have no punishment yet (as expected, not dishing it against the league for slow actions). If that punishment isn't at least indefinitely for now, that's ridiculous. Not that I'm picking on Perezhogin personally because he's the opponent, because I'd be on the case of one of my own boys just as quick if any of them had the low quality of class to do that as well.

Also, if anyone is looking for a clip, I did not find one on the internet, but it is on just before SportsCentre's Top 10 tonight.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
You people are ridiculous, this has anything to do with McSorley, Bretuzzi or Bleak thing. It's nothing compared to that. Perezhogin just got Cross-cheked and <b>slashed at his head by Stafford</b>. It wasn't premiditated like Bertuzzi or McSorley, and it was way less severe than the Belak hit. He got crosscheked and slashed on the haed, he wanted to respond but Stafford turned around. and this is the only reason he got the stick in his face.. Geez, Perezhogin was Canadian, you would started a cheering thread about this... damn

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Ok Look..I am a habs fan but I am also very disgusted. To those who say it's worst then the Bertuzzi or Mcsorley incident then I don't think you were looking at the same thing.

It is very comparable to the Belak Incident...

Yes it was dirty but here is how it went....

THey were pushing and shoving in front of the net..they both fell and as Perezhogin was trying to recover and get up..Stafford makes an attempt with his stick to slash Perezhogin..luckily he missed by a few inches and I saw the stick was pretty close to Perezhogin's face...Perezhogin gets up and just turns around and swings his stick..The stick is about to hit Stafford's back when he suddenly turns around and gets the stick right in the face..he was still down on his knees...

There is absolutely no way I think that Perezhogin wanted to do that or intended to do that. Perezhogin was lucky enough not to get hit in the face just seconds earlier. When belak had 2 hands on his stick and swang on Ossi Vaanen..he only got 7-8 Games because Ossi I think was wearing a visor or because he just missed his face and hit him in the helmet or something.

Don't get me wrong, I am very disgusted about the whole thing but I think it's blown out of proportion BECAUSE OF THE INJURY THAT HAPPEND TO STAFFORD. It is very unfortunate but you got to look at both ways and how it whole happend and what both players were doing before and during the incident.

They were both down on the ice..Perezhogin got up quicker but he wasn't facing him and he swang while turning around so he didn't see Stafford until the stick made contact with him. He might of thought that Stafford would of gotten up by now and Stafford would of gotten hit in the lower leg like we see a lot of in hockey.

Here's hoping to a quick normal recovery and a comeback on the ice for Stafford
Here's hoping to a quick MENTAL recovery and a comeback on the ice for Perezhogin

Perezhogin is known as a good kid and not a dirty player.

velimiiro

You Guys Are Crazy.

This Was An Accident.

Perezhogin Tryed To Slash His Leg.

And It Just So Happens The Guy Was On His Knees.

$hit Happens!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It was an unbelievably stupid thing for Perezhogin to do but I don't think it is the same as the Bertuzzi/McSorely incidents. This wasn't premeditated just completely reckless. Not to excuse Perez in anyways but Stafford tried to do the samething to him first but missed so....

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Slick Nick said:
You people are ridiculous, this has anything to do with McSorley, Bretuzzi or Bleak thing. It's nothing compared to that. Perezhogin just got Cross-cheked and <b>slashed at his head by Stafford</b>. It wasn't premiditated like Bertuzzi or McSorley, and it was way less severe than the Belak hit. He got crosscheked and slashed on the haed, he wanted to respond but Stafford turned around. and this is the only reason he got the stick in his face.. Geez, Perezhogin was Canadian, you would started a cheering thread about this... damn
just like everyone cheered bertuzzi right? :shakehead

how can anyone defend this?

velimiiro

perezhogin should get the death penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
``I've been doing hockey my whole life and I've never seen anything like it,'' said enraged Barons coach Roy Sommer, who talked about an NHL incident in 2000 when Marty McSorley hit Donald Brashear in the head with his stick.

``That makes the McSorley-Brashear thing look like girl scouts.''

Sommer said he hopes Perezhogin is punished to the full extent possible.

``I don't think this guy should ever play again in North America,'' he said. ``That's a travesty.

``I saw it on tape ... and it's even worse on tape.''

I'm finding it difficult to disagree. I think those comments definitely have substance.

velimiiro

clefty said:
I'm finding it difficult to disagree.

Me too!!

I think they should goto trial with this and give Perezhogin the death penalty!!

Off with his head i say!!!!!!

He doesnt deserve to play hockey let alone live after this TRAVESTY!!!!!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad