Perezhogin Pleads Guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hockey-Freak said:
So most of you guys want to punish him more?
A 20 or 21 year old guy made a (bad) mistake, allthough he defenses himself to a attack. he has never gotten a major penalty, never fights another player.
there was one moment where he completely freaked out due to a attack as a 20 year old boy. and his "victim" got healthy quick (otherwise than in bertuzzis case) and you want to punish him more what could easily influence this great young guys carreer badly?
I think his punishment was enough and he should play hockey next year to show everybody that it was an individual case...

The point is this: if he had done that exact same action in a Montreal Canadiens playoff game instead of a Hamilton Bulldogs one, he'd be watching NHL games from the pressbox for the first 20-30 games of next season.

I understand that this was out of character for him, and that it was provoked. I also agree than Stafford should have been suspended for much longer. But the bottom line was that that was one of the worst stick swinging incidents in recent hockey history, and was an incredibly dangerous, irresponsible action. Because of that, he was given a stiff punishment. However, because of circumstances, it appears that he will completely escape that punishment, aside from the suffering he had to endure playing on a line with Jaromir Jagr this season instead of Jason Ward.

When you do something that reckless and dangerous in a pro hockey game, you deserve to be hit in your wallet, and deserve to watch your team play a bunch of games from the stands. Perezhogin received neither, and I don't see how anyone can argue that he received a fair punishment relative to his action.

There absolutely *must* be some sort of agreement in place dictating that suspensions should be honoured from league to league. It's common sense. Otherwise what's to stop anyone from going apesh*t if they know they never have to play in a league again. Jay Bouwmeester can play the AHL finals knowing that he can tomahawk a guy in the face and he'll never have to face punishment for it because he'll never play in the AHL after this year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
MS said:
The point is this: if he had done that exact same action in a Montreal Canadiens playoff game instead of a Hamilton Bulldogs one, he'd be watching NHL games from the pressbox for the first 20-30 games of next season.

I understand that this was out of character for him, and that it was provoked. I also agree than Stafford should have been suspended for much longer. But the bottom line was that that was one of the worst stick swinging incidents in recent hockey history, and was an incredibly dangerous, irresponsible action. Because of that, he was given a stiff punishment. However, because of circumstances, it appears that he will completely escape that punishment, aside from the suffering he had to endure playing on a line with Jaromir Jagr this season instead of Jason Ward.

When you do something that reckless and dangerous in a pro hockey game, you deserve to be hit in your wallet, and deserve to watch your team play a bunch of games from the stands. Perezhogin received neither, and I don't see how anyone can argue that he received a fair punishment relative to his action.

There absolutely *must* be some sort of agreement in place dictating that suspensions should be honoured from league to league. It's common sense. Otherwise what's to stop anyone from going apesh*t if they know they never have to play in a league again. Jay Bouwmeester can play the AHL finals knowing that he can tomahawk a guy in the face and he'll never have to face punishment for it because he'll never play in the AHL after this year.

I understand where you are coming from, however, your failing to include the lockout in your argument...

Perezhogin, would of most likely had played in the NHL this year had there not been a lockout and more importantly, had there not been this stick swinging incident...assuming Perezhogin would of started the year in the NHL had there not been a lockout, i'm sure he would of had to had faced a mandatory 30-40 game suspension and would of been forced to watch the team from the stands before he resumed play...

More than anything, it's the lockout that forced him to go to Russia, and as mentionned, he had to go before the IIHF before being allowed to play in Russia, and considering his history, no major penalties, no fights, no violent behaviour, I don't see what the big deal is with him playing in Russia this year...

Basically, the lockout changed everything, it's pretty much a given that Perezhogin was done with the AHL anyways...

I agree that it was a horrible stick swinging incident, but alot of people forget the abuse that Perezhogin had gotten to that point in the series, it wasn't the usual kind of tight checking that every good player gets, he received multiple cheap shots in that game, particularily from Stafford, I think once Stafford swung for his head with intent to chop his head off, Perezhogin lost it, I can't say I wouldn't of done the same, still doesn't make it right though, but he's really not that type of player (while Stafford received another suspension this year for a high stick :shakehead )

I remember when this happened that it was a huge mistake suspending Stafford only for 6 games, because all it did was tell Stafford, that it's ok to swing your stick at someone's head, just as long as you don't hit him...look what happened with Stafford again this year, another suspension...now I can bet you Perezhogin won't ever do the same

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
clefty said:
For what? How about for battle axing a guy in the head causing him to convulge?

I never said Stafford did nothing wrong, I never even implied it. But considering the consequences of Perezhogin's actions were far worse than Stafford's, he should be the one to extend an apology first, if he hasn't done so already.

Here's a CBC link that answers your question: AHL comes down hard on Alexander Perezhogin

It would appear that Perezhogin has been very contrite throughout this entire incident, which from all indications was/is completely out of character for him (which does not in any way excuse his conduct).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
As far as I know, there definately is a link between suspensions. A few years back, Jason Labarbera had thrown his stick after a loss and it went down the hallway and apparantly clipped someone. Nothing bad, but touched them nonetheless. He got 13 games or so for it.

The Rangers needed to recall a goalie and tried to recall him, but the NHL vetoed it because they were also honoring the AHL suspension.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Ryderama said:
and many Canucks fans said the same thing for Bertuzzi.

the fact is that perezoghin really deserved a long, very long suspension. I think one year was a lot, but he has paid his due and he shouldn't have one more year just because there was no NHL. It's not his fault.

Its a little different than Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi hunted down Moore and Sucker punched him, altho he didn't mean for the end result, hedid want to make Moore "pay' for hitting Nasland. Perezhogin got in a shoving match, the other guy swung at him, and he retaliated in the heat of the moment. Unfortunatly, the other guy moved and the blow hit him in the face, not torso as intended. It would be akin to shoving someone over what you thought was a slight sidewalk curb and realizing it was a four foot drop afterwards.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
habfan4 said:
Here's a CBC link that answers your question: AHL comes down hard on Alexander Perezhogin

It would appear that Perezhogin has been very contrite throughout this entire incident, which from all indications was/is completely out of character for him (which does not in any way excuse his conduct).

Who thinks the punishment would have been less severe if he'd just gone ahead and cried uncontrollably throughout the whole hearing? It seemed to work for Bertuzzi(Altho I still say the two incidents are apples and oranges)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
octopi said:
Who thinks the punishment would have been less severe if he'd just gone ahead and cried uncontrollably throughout the whole hearing? It seemed to work for Bertuzzi(Altho I still say the two incidents are apples and oranges)

The two incidents are apples and oranges...one was premeditated, while the other was reactionnary (is that a word?)

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
clefty said:
If Perezhogin hadn't done what he did, Stafford would have come out of it looking a lot worse. Perezhogin should have acted like the bigger man and either left it alone, or faced up to Stafford and dropped the gloves.

This schoolyard attitude of "he started it" doesn't hold any water.

Not really. If someone bats you with a stick, you're not gonna let it slide, the neandrathal in you takes control. Stafford should've expected it, and they're both at fault... Stafford's lenient punishment was pity. Basically, if you wanna be a big boy, you have to be ready.

And believe it or not, I firmly oppose the death penalty. But let's not get into that. ;)

Betuzzi, on the other hand, was a coward. He deserves another shot, but hopefully he's learned a lesson in manhood.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
BobMarleyNYR said:
Not really. If someone bats you with a stick, you're not gonna let it slide, the neandrathal in you takes control. Stafford should've expected it, and they're both at fault... Stafford's lenient punishment was pity. Basically, if you wanna be a big boy, you have to be ready.

And believe it or not, I firmly oppose the death penalty. But let's not get into that. ;)

Betuzzi, on the other hand, was a coward. He deserves another shot, but hopefully he's learned a lesson in manhood.

The "proper" reaction for Perezhogin would of been to drop the gloves and go ape on him, however, coming from a player who hadn't gotten even a single major penalty all year and throughout his career, it was unlikely he would of reacted that way...I don't condone what he did, but I do understand it...

Stafford got off way too easy and even reoffended again this year...the AHL dropped the ball big time with this one, at least IMO

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
Yes, Perezhogin did apologise to Stafford.

On another note, I was wondering.. what happened to the guys that knocked Alex unconscious two seconds after the incident? "Fighting majors"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->