Percentage of Canadian NHL players drops to 45%

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Neato.

Figured Canada would drop below the majority soon enough, that probably happened a few years ago.

I think it's great, to see players from (almost) all corners of the world uniting in the NHL.

With efforts being made to grow the game in Asia, it won't be long until we start seeing a percentage hail from China, or Japan, or South Korea. Well, maybe in 10-20 years or so, but still.

In this case, diversity is a good thing. :yo:
Yeah, I'm not really sure why people would be upset that the game has become more global, and will likely continue to do so. Honestly I wouldn't care a bit unless one specific country passed us as the top hockey nation. But if the world collectively catches up, that's great for hockey.

Reactions: Dingo

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Yeah, I'm not really sure why people would be upset that the game has become more global, and will likely continue to do so. Honestly I wouldn't care a bit unless one specific country passed us as the top hockey nation. But if the world collectively catches up, that's great for hockey.
if im reading between the lines properly, I am seeing that same little brother angst that i always see, lol.
i agree with your point, anyways. id like the game to be as global as possible. When you beat the world at soccer, you really beat the world. Hockey is still six really interested good countries, and a few of them are more interested in other sports.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
It will continue to decline over time, but still, makes me proud to be Canadian,

I'm sure there are millions of hockey players from other countries who can outplay me, but none of them learned the game in the home of hockey.

A tiny fraction of the population producing that much elite talent is pretty cool - with any sport, with any country.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Well that's what happens when you expand too much and water down the product....you have to compromise on the ingredients ...

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't see the issue. Canada is still clearly the world leader. 45 per cent from one country (especially one of 36 million compared to the massive populations of the US and Russia) is impressive.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This only makes sense, as the sport continues to evolve. The number will continue to get lower and lower as the years go by. It has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of talented players Canada is producing, and everything to do with the fact that other countries are starting to develop more and more quality players.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
This only makes sense, as the sport continues to evolve. The number will continue to get lower and lower as the years go by. It has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of talented players Canada is producing, and everything to do with the fact that other countries are starting to develop more and more quality players.
However, you cannot discount that less kids are growing up playing hockey in Canada. It used to be all the best athletes would go play hockey. Now they are playing basketball, soccer, volleyball, and many other sports. I think it still fits the stereotypical rural small towns, where hockey is king but urban centres have less and less kids playing hockey and more playing other sports.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I don't see the issue. Canada is still clearly the world leader. 45 per cent from one country (especially one of 36 million compared to the massive populations of the US and Russia) is impressive.

It's even more impressive when you compare Canada's 36 million to the massive populations of China and India. Those countries aren't much good at cross-country or alpine skiing either.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
However, you cannot discount that less kids are growing up playing hockey in Canada. It used to be all the best athletes would go play hockey. Now they are playing basketball, soccer, volleyball, and many other sports. I think it still fits the stereotypical rural small towns, where hockey is king but urban centres have less and less kids playing hockey and more playing other sports.

No offense, but that has to be one of the most bizarre statements I have heard on this sub-forum. How would one determine if the "best athletes" are playing hockey or not?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
No offense, but that has to be one of the most bizarre statements I have heard on this sub-forum. How would one determine if the "best athletes" are playing hockey or not?
Back in the day, the better athletes were encouraged to go play hockey as that was their best chance to become a professional athlete and make a career of it. Now, good, young athletes are encouraged to pursue many other sports as there are greater options for them than in the past.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
My point is... Canada dominates in producing every type of player.
I don't think Canada produces the best goalies as much as they used to. Other countries have already caught up in the top level goalie department. I have yet to rank the top 20 goalies but off the top of my head I see an international influx.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Other sports are cheaper for parents to put their kids into and the development programs cost way too much.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The percentage is irrelevant, Canada will always be able to select the 23 players you need to assemble a national team and those 23 players will comprise a team that is more skilled and deeper than everyone else for the next generation and beyond. Because Canada has something similar to the "Sisu" of the Finns have, for those who don't know Sisu is what Finns refer to as a stoic determination and tenacity to punch above their weight, grit bravery etc. Canada has this too, its a fighting spirit to win gold in hockey more than anyone else because its in our blood more than anyone else.

I don't buy this doom and gloom propaganda, people have been claiming the decline of Canada for decades and then Canada just goes out and wins a bunch of golds again. We saw this in recent memory at the world juniors from 2010-2014 when Canada didn't win gold, but since then we've been to 3 of the past 4 gold medal games (2015, 2017, 2018) taking 2 golds and losing the third in a shootout (2017)

The talk of Canada's "decline" was all over the international section of this site from the years 2010-2014 with regards to the junior level, yet the hypocrisy today is that you don't hear anything about the Russians or Swedes who haven't won gold since 2011 and 2012 respectively, and who are currently in longer droughts than Canada was in.

Last edited:
Reactions: TychoFan

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Do Americans get so upset over falling % US born players in the NBA and MLB?

Canadian inferiority complex on full display in these threads. Take it is a compliment that our sport has international appeal.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Canadian inferiority complex on full display in these threads. Take it is a compliment that our sport has international appeal.

I hate to break it to everyone but there is no such thing as a "Canadian inferiority complex" in actuality the only thing that exists is a false history of American propaganda that continues to be taken into account more than the reality..allow me to explain.

The first recorded game of Baseball occurred in 1838 in Beachville, Ontario, it is the first documented game of baseball in North American history, baseball "America's Pastime" is in actuality yet another Canadian sport.

Basketball as we all know was invented by Canadian Dr. James Naismith. Full Stop.

When we look at NFL style football we can also look back to 1874, the origins of football in the US not surprisingly come from Canada yet again - History- May 14, 1874 How Canada created American football

Hockey of course is a Canadian invention/sport.

What is more striking is that for a nation as large and influential as the US is a nation that has never invented a single sport of its own. I think this is extremely noteworthy and a reality that is ignored far too often.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The number of Russian players peaked in 1999-2000 (7.7%), and has been declining since.
Teams more wary of drafting Russians cause of Filatov, Zherdev & Yakupov ? As well as ones who suddenly defect back to KHL like Kovulchuk & Datsyuk.

I know our GM doesn't like drafting them or acquiring them unless their goalies (Bryzgalov, Khudobin, drafting Bobkov in 09) as they seem the least likely to defect to KHL unlike the Forwards.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ironically with expansion the number of canadians in the NHL is roughly equal(just slightly less) then when it peaked in the 80s

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I must be in an alternate universe. You and I have had a few battles over the years. Though, I do respect your opinion and your knowledge.

Again, we disagree. I say Canada has a slight advantage over the US in top level talent. Certainly not a major gap. The USNTDP is second to none in producing elite teams. (yes, if Canada had a similar system it would be different) But the level of play, dedication to the team, overall training both on and off the ice is something I admire.

And it's not just the USNTDP, it's the majority of youth programs in the US.

I will say someone at Hockey Canada must have been wondering how you guys were producing exceptional talent and knocked a few heads because recently Canada has been improving as well.

It's just a matter of time before the US takes over as the Number 1 Hockey nation. As a Canadian, (well, technically, a dual) I won't necessarily be looking forward to that. As a hockey fan, it is what it is.

I think that is still a ways off as elite hockey programs at younger ages are happening in Canada as well, particularly in the west.

In the 70's you had to look really hard for impact Canadian NHLer's from BC or the maritime provinces and now there are even top prospects coming out of Newfoundland.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well that's what happens when you expand too much and water down the product....you have to compromise on the ingredients ...

The product isn't watered down at all, this argument is really weak and shows a poor understanding of the actual game and screams stat watching from the 80's to today.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

That's the thing one really can't determine that at all.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The product isn't watered down at all, this argument is really weak and shows a poor understanding of the actual game and screams stat watching from the 80's to today.

I have to agree, simple fact is the world has gotten better at playing hockey and those players make up all the players we see on expansion teams since the 80s

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Basketball has international appeal and when the U.S started to get beat in basketball at the olympics and their college stars were not a lock to get it done anymore the U.S got antsy real quick and started pushing for the pros, I remember plenty of articles in the U.S media at the time pushing the agenda.

They didn't like that the Europeans were starting to get their number one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->