Percentage of Canadian NHL players drops to 45%

Rating:
4.5/5,
View Users: View Users
  1. Jets4Life

Jets4Life Registered User

occupied
    It's hard to believe that in the early 1970s, over 95% of NHL players were Canadian in origin. This figure has been on the decline for the past 40+ years, and by 2015-16, the majority of NHL players were not of Canadian origin. It seemed to begin to change when the WHA Winnipeg Jets imported several Scandinavians to their roster for the 1974-75 season. Once the Jets became the top team for the remainder of the WHA, it paved the way for Swedes and Finns to cross the Atlantic, and make a living in the NHL.

Coincidentally, there was a hockey boom in the United States, after the 1980 Olympic Games saw the Americans shock the world to win the Gold medal. The number of American players increased from 11% to 17% in one decade since the Miracle in Lake Placid. The fall of the Iron Curtain gave way to talent from the former Soviet Union, and some satellite countries, particular the former Czechoslovakia.

As of the 2017-18 season, the composition of the NHL is as follows:

Canada 45.3%
    United States 27.3%
    Sweden 9.9%
    Finland 4.3%
    Russia 4.0%
    Czech Republic 3.8%
    Switzerland 1.5%
    Slovakia 1.3%
    Germany 0.7%
    Denmark 0.7%
    Other 1.2%

NHL Totals by Nationality ‑ 2017-2018 Stats

Interestingly, it seems that players from the former Iron Curtain seemed to peak around 2000, and has been in decline since (possibly due to the KHL). Scandinavia, the USA, and other European countries (especially Switzerland) continue to see more and more players compete in the NHL.

2. DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan Your world frightens and confuses me

Bottom line, Canada is still dominating every other individual nation as far as stocking NHL talent. After over 100 years, Canada is STILL number one, despite having a fraction of the population of the USA and Russia.

Hey, if one country supplies all (or almost all) of the talent, you can never call that sport truly "international".

3. Mike Farkas

Mike Farkas Grace Personified

45% of the population and still responsible for over half of all violent crimes... :shakehead:

Machinehead likes this.
  4. pukovnik

pukovnik Registered User

I am fine with that, hopefully decline will continue. [mod]

Last edited by moderator Chairman Maouth: Aug 30, 2018
    shtorm2005 likes this.
  5. ITM

ITM As Long As It Takes

Don Cherry noted the imminent rise of American hockey long before there's was reasonable evidence to assert the case. He's been proven right. The percentage of American hockey players is a testament to the great work done by USA Hockey.

Jets4Life likes this.
  6. LEAFANFORLIFE23

LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

I'm surprised only 4% are Russian

Neutrinos and TheJackAttack like this.
  7. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

I mean the number 45% looks a bit deceiving as it is still a monstrous number.

In the 1970's, how many overall players were in the NHL per year??
    Now, we have 31 teams, hundreds more players, and Canada still is at almost 50%???
    I would look into the sheer numbers and in the 1970s Canada represented 95% of how many players, and compare that to what 45% of players are today?? - I bet the divide doesn't look as big as it originally sounds. If anything Canada is stagnant and not declining as the overall number of players in the league from the 1970s to now is probably very close overall.

It is a fact that the US has grown leaps and bounds and will continue to do so - you can add every other nation % together outside of Canada and the US has a higher % then the rest of the world in the NHL...so their 2nd place position is pretty huge.

And we do have to take the KHL and Swiss leagues into consideration. Players from these countries or Europe in general has the chance to stay closer to home making big money while they are younger (or in their twilight like Kovi and Datsyuk), so the NHL seems to be waiting a bit longer for some players that really wasn't the case in the 1990s where every good Euro player came over almost as soon as they could. And conversely, some are heading closer to home the older they get even though they still can play in the NHL.

Bottom line - Canada has nothing to worry about, the gap from 27% to 45% is massive between the US and Canada...absolutely massive...and that isn't including overall quality of player where Canada is still outproducing the US though the gap is closing of late.

8. Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958 Registered User

Retired
    Actual numbers, 1970s app. 350 Canadiens players vs app 450 today.

9. AmericanDream

there you go, my point exactly...fear not Canada, you will be just fine!

10. Jets4Life

occupied
    The number of Russian players peaked in 1999-2000 (7.7%), and has been declining since.

11. Canadiens1958

Retired
    Adding to the overview, NHL team rosters expanded from roughly 20 to 23, app. 93 extra NHLers.

Someone mentioned, 4% Russians. This is combined for the Russian Federation and the former Soviet Union, based on date of birth, combined 39.

Skaters -35
    Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

plus 4 goalies.

2017-18 KHL, featured 54 Canadiens, all but 8 regulars:

Canadian KHL Players ‑ 2017-2018 Stats

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Jets4Life likes this.
  12. Jets4Life

occupied
    There have always been professional hockey leagues in Europe.

There is no difference in quality of players between Canada and the USA.

13. Jets4Life

occupied
    The 4% is Russia exclusively, and not including other ex-Soviet nations (Latvia, Kazakhstan, etc.)

14. AmericanDream

yes, there has been leagues in Europe, but they pay has risen and the conditions in those countries has generally gotten better as players aren't running out of Russia like they were in the late 80's to 90's.

And Canada still has a major gap in top level talent over the US, that really isn't even debatable as one of the biggest US homers on this site.

15. Jets4Life

occupied
    You do realize the pay has risen exponentially in North America, so that negates the pay increase in Europe.

Prove it.

16. Canadiens1958

Retired
    Actually, 2017-18, there were more Quebec born players in the NHL than combined Soviet Union/Russian

NHL Players Born in Quebec 2017-2018 Stats

Jets4Life likes this.
  17. AmericanDream

actually, no it doesn't. players can stay closer to home from European countries because the pay has gotten better, they do not need to travel to North America to make a living anymore, or ride buses when sent down to the AHL...players are taking longer to come here than 10 years ago. And you completely ignored the living conditions which have changed as well.

your second part -are you serious? make your team Canada and I will make my team USA, lets compare the two.

18. Jets4Life

occupied
    1. How do you then explain North American players going to Europe to play hockey in the 80s and 90s?
    2. How have the living conditions changed?

You said that the overall quality of player was superior in Canada to the USA. Once again, prove it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  19. From The Couch

From The Couch Registered User

I'm about to leave work right now so I don't have time to actually prove this BUT me and my buddy were shooting the Sh*t having a few beers a few months ago while watching baseball and we actually made a Canada A,B,C,D,E,F,G team that could compete in the Olympics and who could potentially medal. I'll write one out one day to show you but you could actually just use your head and come up with it yourself. You can't say the same for Team USA. However, USA hockey is getting extremely deep as the years go on.

JohnnyDrama and Canadiens1958 like this.
  20. From The Couch

From The Couch Registered User

I'm about to leave work right now so I don't have time to actually prove this BUT me and my buddy were shooting the Sh*t having a few beers a few months ago while watching baseball and we actually made a Canada A,B,C,D,E,F,G team that could compete in the Olympics and who could potentially medal. I'll write one out one day to show you but you could actually just use your head and come up with it yourself. You can't say the same for Team USA. However, USA hockey is getting extremely deep as the years go on.

JohnnyDrama likes this.
  21. Jets4Life

occupied
    The poster in question seems to imply that the average Canadian hockey player in the NHL is better than the average American player. If you wanted to make a star team of the top 20 players, in their respective countries, Canada would probably have the superior team, due to there being more Canadian NHL players.

22. End on a Hinote

End on a Hinote Registered Abuser

This sucks....

Sorry, but I couldn't care less if this is good for the sport. As a Canadian hockey fan, this really, really, sucks.

23. 2525

2525 R.I.P. Fugu

I must be in an alternate universe. You and I have had a few battles over the years. Though, I do respect your opinion and your knowledge.

Again, we disagree. I say Canada has a slight advantage over the US in top level talent. Certainly not a major gap. The USNTDP is second to none in producing elite teams. (yes, if Canada had a similar system it would be different) But the level of play, dedication to the team, overall training both on and off the ice is something I admire.

And it's not just the USNTDP, it's the majority of youth programs in the US.

I will say someone at Hockey Canada must have been wondering how you guys were producing exceptional talent and knocked a few heads because recently Canada has been improving as well.

It's just a matter of time before the US takes over as the Number 1 Hockey nation. As a Canadian, (well, technically, a dual) I won't necessarily be looking forward to that. As a hockey fan, it is what it is.

BogsDiamond and Jets4Life like this.
  24. AmericanDream

you are simply deflecting and not providing proof...

times have changed, if you think the European leagues in the 80's and 90's have not changed until now, I have nothing left to contribute. I do not have to prove anything to you, it is common sense, you seem to be in bizzaro world when it comes to Canada and the US...the US is closing the gap, but for every elite player we (the US) produces, Canada produces two...and if I have to show you this...well I will just leave it unsaid...do your own research and prove me wrong...I will be waiting anxiously.

25. AmericanDream

you are arguing a different thing...

you are saying "in a matter of time"...we are talking about right now...and yes we have been in plenty of debates which is why you would take me seriously as an American fan...we simply are not there..not even close..

In a matter of time is not right now...right now is still for every top player we develop, Canada developed 2....prove me wrong...the numbers are there, they are everywhere for the love of God...I do think in the next 10 years the gap will close, but Canada will not be in danger of losing their top spot in volume and highend talent..it will take 20 plus years for the US to close the gap further like it took 20 plus years for the US to close the gap since 1991 or 1996...