NESN Per order of NHL - NESN can no longer stream games out of market

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I have been an NHL Center Ice customer for many years via DirecTV and I must say the regional blackout issue is becoming an almost deal breaker. I am in the Boise, Idaho area and the NHL has us within the Las Vegas Golden Knights and Colorado Avalanche regions now, so I suffer blackouts for those two teams. For those of your unfamiliar with the western states, Boise is 625 miles from Las Vegas (Boston to Richmond, VA) and 815 miles from Denver (Boston to Atlanta). Despite numerous calls to the NHL offices in NY, not a single person has been able to tell me who sets these regions or what criteria is being used to set them. Neither AT&T (DirecTV owner) nor NHLTV admit to setting blackout policy and refer all inquiries to the NY offices. Does anyone have further information on these ridiculous blackouts?

Thanks

So when Seattle comes in you'll be in their region too?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
It is region blocked if you live in Boston. (unless that has changed).

There are ways around all of this, but it's absolutely ridiculous we have to jump through hoops, considering many are willing to pay one service to watch the games, instead of having to have 3 different services to watch a game depending where you are at the moment.

yes it still is, but this thread was about people outside New England having Nesn Go blocked out now; so figured I’d mention that

not gonna help anyone local but it will help if someone was using NESN go outside the area

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
stream_img.jpg

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
So when Seattle comes in you'll be in their region too?

Yes, you are probably correct. It’s only 520 miles to Seattle, so according to the NHL, that’s close enough to be in their region. It just seems ridiculous that the league allows these networks to have such broad boundaries. Are we supposed to hop over to the arena to watch the game?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have been an NHL Center Ice customer for many years via DirecTV and I must say the regional blackout issue is becoming an almost deal breaker. I am in the Boise, Idaho area and the NHL has us within the Las Vegas Golden Knights and Colorado Avalanche regions now, so I suffer blackouts for those two teams. For those of your unfamiliar with the western states, Boise is 625 miles from Las Vegas (Boston to Richmond, VA) and 815 miles from Denver (Boston to Atlanta). Despite numerous calls to the NHL offices in NY, not a single person has been able to tell me who sets these regions or what criteria is being used to set them. Neither AT&T (DirecTV owner) nor NHLTV admit to setting blackout policy and refer all inquiries to the NY offices. Does anyone have further information on these ridiculous blackouts?

Thanks

It comes down to if a RSN makes itself available in your case Boise to cable or satellite.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Yes, you are probably correct. It’s only 520 miles to Seattle, so according to the NHL, that’s close enough to be in their region. It just seems ridiculous that the league allows these networks to have such broad boundaries. Are we supposed to hop over to the arena to watch the game?

Would be interesting to see a map that shows the extent of each NHL team's region/territory

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Would be interesting to see a map that shows the extent of each NHL team's region/territory

AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain is an American regional sports network that is owned by WarnerMedia News & Sports, a division of AT&T's WarnerMedia, as part of the AT&T SportsNet brand of networks, and is an affiliate of Fox Sports Networks. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado the network broadcasts regional coverage of sports events throughout the Rocky Mountain region, mainly focusing on professional sports teams based in the Denver metropolitan area, Utah and Nevada.

AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain is available on cable providers and live stream website on Stadium throughout Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, Southern Idaho, northern New Mexico, western Kansas, western Nebraska, western South Dakota, parts of California, including all of San Bernardino County and Mohave County, Arizona

Reactions: Olden McGroin

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Consider this - If you order Center Ice with your cable/satellite provider the NHL will give you access to NHL.tv

upload_2019-10-14_22-42-56-png.264623

BUT not with Comcast or Spectrum

upload_2019-10-14_22-46-0-png.264625

I prefer Center Ice as I like see out of market commercials instead of NHL.tv saying they are in a commercial break.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was paying for central ice here in western canada for past few years and never had blackouts. I worked evenings though and missed games

The nhl app was great to help me at work and then last year it became incompatible with my tablet.

This year im unemployed so cant afford paying... have found i was able to watch every game with the options available for free

I would happily pay if i could afford it, but i think league is shooting itself in foot. I was paying a premium for the app before they cut me off. Im more than willing to watch their advertisements. Blackouts do suck... why punish fans for their geography?

40 years ago we bought a huge cband satalite dish mostly so i could watch nesn and wsbk. If i could pay directly to bruins i would. My vote is let nesn go stream out of market and id join up

member 96824

Something that I’ve always admired about Netflix is their ability to see the forest while so many traditional media players look at trees.

Netflix continues to view password sharing as free advertising. Traditional media thinks it’s stealing.
Cable Giant Spectrum On Quest To Outlaw 'Insane' Streaming Password Sharing

whoever made this call at the NHL is a moron, but they’ll think they’re a rockstar because the bottom line for Q4 of 2019 will go up 15 basis points.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
cant even use tge nbcsn app now. i tried watching on the app last nite because on the spectrum tv app it comes in like crap. but now when you try the app it says its blacked out in my area.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was paying for central ice here in western canada for past few years and never had blackouts. I worked evenings though and missed games

The nhl app was great to help me at work and then last year it became incompatible with my tablet.

This year im unemployed so cant afford paying... have found i was able to watch every game with the options available for free

I would happily pay if i could afford it, but i think league is shooting itself in foot. I was paying a premium for the app before they cut me off. Im more than willing to watch their advertisements. Blackouts do suck... why punish fans for their geography?

40 years ago we bought a huge cband satalite dish mostly so i could watch nesn and wsbk. If i could pay directly to bruins i would. My vote is let nesn go stream out of market and id join up

haven`t paid for any games in years nor do I feel guilty in any way, shape or form to be watching games "legally" in other ways. I pay a ton for a cable package that routinely blacks out so many games it`s beyond frustrating that I don`t feel guilty for taking a bit of a short cut to get my fill of NHL games.

Is a stream as good as the real deal? I suppose it depends on the source for streaming but for this fan, I`ve never felt I have missed out on anything and what I do love about streams is often if a game is being carried by a provider here and it`s not the NESN team, I have options and usually find them unless it`s a game they simply aren`t working

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
Hi, When I view nesngo on my laptop I get a lot of buffering issues. My connection is 100 Mbps so it is not slow. My Lappy is only 4 yrs old. I was wondering if anyone knew the hardware and software requirements for nesn?

thx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->