Confirmed with Link: Per Friedman, Leafs and Zaitsev have agreed to move on, will find trade for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
giphy.gif

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
McKenzie says it was Zaitsev who asked out. Said TOR management warmed up to Zaitsev as a capable top 4 guy as the season went on.

Makes sense. Once Zaitsev was beside Muzzin instead of Gardiner, he was much more effective.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If we deal Zaitsev we need to get 2 RHD defenders.

My targets would be

Stralman, Myers from F/A pool

Savard, Martinez, Faulk, Hamilton, Ellis, Spurgeon, Miller, Braun, Tanev( for a 4th or 5th rounder he has zero value due to injury concerns and decling game) , TVR, Severson, Larsson, as the trade targets.

Rielly-Top 4 RHD
Muzzin- Top 4 RHD
Rosen-Dermott

Give lilijgren and sandin another half season to 1 full year to bake in the AHL

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It’s the court of public opinion.

A lot of people saying the wrong thing can make a lot of other people believe it.

I agree, it should have very little impact on player value... but... don’t you think, given the article just published, that this might not be coincidental timing?

A lot of other people don't have multi-million dollar analytics departments informing multi-million C-level executives with combined decades of experience on player value.

If the public at large started a rumor that Zaitsev kills puppies in his spare time and tries to sleep with his teammates wives, sure GMs would think twice about paying full price for him. The public at large criticizing a player for reasons that they don't understand is irrelevant.

Zaitsev wanting to leave is the only part that matters, fans thinking he's bad is irrelevant to GMs.

If the court of public opinion truly mattered, why would Zaitsev give that interview prior to asking for a trade? Intentionally tanking his value is the last thing he'd want to do prior to a trade request, no?

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Do you think GMs base their value on who people boo and what guys on HF say?
To an extent.

I know one gm will be asking why Zaitsev is being ran out of town, and another gm (ours) is going to have to convince him that our fan base is Pejorative Slured.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Damn.. not happy about this.

Zaitsev isn’t even overpaid. Our fan base wrongly convinced the world that is the case though, so now we have to sell him at a discount.

GM's form their opinions reading our posts? Now we have to sell him at a discount, because of what mean things people said on HFboards? The shame of these posters.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
McKenzie says it was Zaitsev who asked out. Said TOR management warmed up to Zaitsev as a capable top 4 guy as the season went on.

Makes sense. Once Zaitsev was beside Muzzin instead of Gardiner, he was much more effective.

He did one hell of a good job in a matchup role against the Bruins, it didn't make me want to keep him but it did show his value to the team, if only he could handle the puck like it wasn't a grenade

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
To an extent.

I know one gm will be asking why Zaitsev is being ran out of town, and another gm (ours) is going to have to convince him that our fan base is ******ed.

Oh well problem solved then, let's just start posting about how Zaitsev is an generational #1 RHD. I'm thinking the bidding should start at 4 1st round picks.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

So basically:

Rielly-___
Muzzin-___
Rosen-___

To start the year. Dermott obviously comes back and reclaims that 3rd LHD spot. I mean a lot of people agreed the Leafs' D needs an overhaul.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Absolutely the right move for the Leafs.
Will probably cost them a sweetener to get the deal done, but this is best for both parties.

Yup and I’ve said it before I bet he goes on to do well, our system just doesn’t fi to his style

And perhaps more evidence that Dubas and Babcock are not at all on the same page

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So basically:

Rielly-___
Muzzin-___
Rosen-___

To start the year. Dermott obviously comes back and reclaims that 3rd LHD spot. I mean a lot of people agreed the Leafs' D needs an overhaul.

Dermott likely comes back and plays the 2RHD role.

Justin Holl probably in the lineup to start.

Liljegren has a real good opportunity to break camp with us.

I’m gonna assume we try to bring back Hainsey on a 1 year deal deal

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So basically:

Rielly-___
Muzzin-___
Rosen-___

Muzzin and Rielly together could still be in the mix. They were pretty good together to me. I'm sure it will be revisited.

There's definitely going to be an addition to the right side. Very likely someone that can put up more than 3 primary points in over a calendar year.

Liljegren, barring a bad camp, should get a chance to pair up with Rosen.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So basically:

Rielly-___
Muzzin-___
Rosen-___

Once Dermott's back I'd try him at RD.

Rielly-___
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

Best case scenario, Dermott and Liljegren show they have what it takes to move up a slot and we find a 3RD somewhere, possibly in the system.

Worst case scenario, we tread water until we can go shopping for a passable top-4 RHD. Spurgeon maybe?

Reactions: Erndog

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
GM's form their opinions reading our posts? Now we have to sell him at a discount, because of what mean things people said on HFboards? The shame of these posters.
Zaitsev probably formed his opinion of our fan base from somewhere... and now our gm has to deal with it.

So yes. Our opinions do matter.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It will be interesting to see what the Leafs get for Zaitsev. I think he'll prove to be a miscast D man, who can be better elsewhere. His play was decent his first year, and he was tremendous in the WHC. I think they've asked him to play a role, that doesn't suit him... mostly trying to cover for Gardiner. It's the right move for both the team, and player. Best of luck Zaitsev.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
A lot of other people don't have multi-million dollar analytics departments informing multi-million C-level executives with combined decades of experience on player value.

If the public at large started a rumor that Zaitsev kills puppies in his spare time and tries to sleep with his teammates wives, sure GMs would think twice about paying full price for him. The public at large criticizing a player for reasons that they don't understand is irrelevant.

Zaitsev wanting to leave is the only part that matters, fans thinking he's bad is irrelevant to GMs.

If the court of public opinion truly mattered, why would Zaitsev give that interview prior to asking for a trade? Intentionally tanking his value is the last thing he'd want to do prior to a trade request, no?
You’re not wrong at all. I just think there’s a lot we don’t know about this story.. Something curious to me, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->