Confirmed with Link: Per Friedman, Leafs and Zaitsev have agreed to move on, will find trade for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Well that would be great
No it would be terrible. Gardiner had a back injury and is around 30 years old. Giving him a long term deal will be a disaster. He will begin to decline soon. Also he is a LHD we have tons of talent on that side. Need to go after RHD. Guys like stralman, Miller, Faulk, Myers are better targets for us

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We're going to also need to fill the PK void that Zaitsev and possibly Hainsey will leave behind.

I think with Zaitsev on the out, they look more deeply into Hainsey. It would have to be for cheap and he would have to play in different role *looks at Mike*

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
5 years x 4.625 million
5 years x 3.25 million

Those 2 contracts were given out to Alzner and Jack Johnson the past 2 years. I doubt all the dumb GMs suddenly dried up. 1 of them will be willing to take Zaitsev rather than overpay Coburn or Jordie Benn by 2 million.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think we get something good back and then pay big for a defenseman.

I like Zaitsev but as long as Dubas gets fair value, which I think he easily will, and gets a proper replacement for him, which if he's going big game hunting is probably going to happen as well, then this is the right move. It won't be Colin Miller though... Miller should not be more than a #4 here, and Dermott should have the #4 role once he is healthy. Probably got inspired by the Raps.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Sadly I can't see many people queuing up to take him though.
I’d suspect several teams will be making travel arrangements and hope to make their presentation to Dubas before the draft.

Question is: what kind of a bidding war can they create? Adam Larsson is his closest comparable. He drew a nice piece.

nick942

Mar 15, 2011
Toronto
There are enough GM's out there, who value Babcockism's over advanced analytics, to spend assets to acquire Zaitsev. I actually think this will be a good barometer for Dubas' skill as a GM. Schenn was traded for JVR, Larrson for Hall, and Rutherford is out here acquiring Jack Johnson and Eric Gudbranson. If he has to package significant assets to dump Zaitsev I'll see it as a poor reflection on his GM ability. But, if he can actually get value, it reflects really well on Dubas.

Reactions: sparxx87

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So why would you trade him if he’s with the right partner He’s a pretty good player go figure Kyle Dubis

Because of cap reasons and that his good partner is only signed for 1 more season.

Besides you don't keep guys who had 5 years on their deal with a solid amount of AAV who are in need of a specific partner to play well

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I never liked Zaitsev and was never a fan of his style of play. I'm kind of happy about this for several reasons.
Z will go far from Babcok and will be a stud
Babcock quite likes Zaitsev. He will not be happy about this news.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I thought he was very good from February on wards.

I agree with the sentiment it won’t be that hard to find a trade partner.

Especially since Zaitsev is looking to move as well.

We can pay his bonus on July 1 and trade him then, which will help the value slightly.

Reactions: kb and sparxx87

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I thought he was very good from February on wards.

I agree with the sentiment it won’t be that hard to find a trade partner.

Especially since Zaitsev is looking to move as well.

We can pay his bonus on July 1 and trade him then, which will help the value slightly.

Keep in mind he has a partial NTC that kicks in on July 1st IIRC

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
5 years x 4.625 million
5 years x 3.25 million

Those 2 contracts were given out to Alzner and Jack Johnson the past 2 years. I doubt all the dumb GMs suddenly dried up. 1 of them will be willing to take Zaitsev rather than overpay Coburn or Jordie Benn by 2 million.

Agreed.

Right handed. Can play stingy without the puck. Good PKer. Did put up 40 points in his rookie season with powerplay time.

It wouldn't surprise me if Zaitsev left, found a new one, and turned into a pretty good player.

I just don't think it can happen in Toronto, and he's not performing like a $4.5M player right now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Keep in mind he has a partial NTC that kicks in on July 1st IIRC

That’s my point. The fact that he’s looking to move as well, means he’s unlikely to block a trade. A few days ago we were looking to trade him before that kicked in, but now, that’s less likely to be an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->