Salary Cap: Per cap era, why was Montreal never a huge spender?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I used to live on Cote-des-neiges/Cedar during Uni.. food was ridiculously cheap, and delicious. I had a 1,500sqf apartment (indoor parking) panoramic view of the entire city South facing (felt like 50th floor)... $805/month all in.. never had a better set up in my life (from a rental perspective). 98-01.. i'd love to know what that apt would go for today?? $2500?
Those were the days man. Those were the days.

Reactions: themilosh

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Cheap ownership. Remember when the Habs traded away nearly every star the team had after the 1993 Cup win? Traded them all for nothing; it wasn’t for hockey reasons. By the late 90s, the team was barren except for Koivu, basically.
Molson Inc was in dire straits as a business, losing $ and market share, which is why Coors bought them out after threatening a hostile takeover. This is also why they sold the team for little, to get the debt off their books

Combine it with Mtl economy in a tailspin. Even after Gillet bought the team, they were tough times, I was interested in Habs season tix in summer 2002 & got a VIP tour of Bell Centre to pick my choice in the reds, everything was available except center ice section behind team benches

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We must had big local tv contracts back then. Montreal has best tv and radio revenue in league today.
The team had been bad, no sign of a turn around as moves were awful and drafts were bad, and the dollar collapse. Team wasn't making money, prople were not paying for that garbage.

Lots to not be happy about Gaineys time, but he brought back respectability to the team. Gillet was also willing to take some millions of losses. Dollar improved, product improved and our darkest hour had passed into just mediocrity.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Boxing Day 1998 in Toronto. Late in the third Koivu finds Quintal in the slot for the winning goal. It ended an 11 game winless streak and the Habs improved to 9-18-7. The word all across English media was “Quintal just saved the season”. Lol

Them were the days

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino