People have been trying to buy the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Melnyk had his chance at just over 500 million, held out longer then refinanced with the prospective buyers. Hilariously terrible business maneuver. He is going to get pennies to the dollar and blew his best opportunity, which really does sum him up as accurately as possible.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Except my gut feeling is that the potential investors see Melnyk as being in a vulnerable position due to his finances. They are probably trying to low ball him and get the team, the arena, and the Lebreton bid on the cheap. Especially if Melnyk struggles or is unable to develop Lebreton. It's probably why Melnyk said "we can stay in Kanata if we have to" last December. He's ****ed, and the vultures are circling. It's the same way Karlsson didn't return his "true value". There's more to this that just the intrinsic value of the franchise.
When he said that in December I thought that too.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
making money hand over fist because of a new arena gets said often. I just don't see it. An increase in attendance and average ticket prices I see. more non hockey use I don't.

if Melnyk separates the team from lebreton and wants the sale of the sports entity but keep his position in the lebreton deal then this thing will never be sold. 600M for what eists plus another 600 M to build a new rink. maybe 100M salvageable on the existing property. Man that's a lot of cabbage and I don't see the numbers adding up. Maybe with a love affair with the rink you could squeeze and extra 20M in ticket sales but that's about it. and that wouldn't support the acquisition costs.

Lebreton is not just an arena. It's a whole development in a very very valuable location. It's closer to $4B, not$600m. Honestly, the team is only secondary to the value of the development. Melnyk does not give two shits about the team, neither does the potential investor. The team is only a conduit to the real estate opportunity of a lifetime.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Lebreton is not just an arena. It's a whole development in a very very valuable location. It's closer to $4B, not$600m. Honestly, the team is only secondary to the value of the development. Melnyk does not give two ****s about the team, neither does the potential investor. The team is only a conduit to the real estate opportunity of a lifetime.
Lebreton is a huge opportunity for investors. But why would Melnyk sell and give up the opportunity of being a part of it?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Lebreton is a huge opportunity for investors. But why would Melnyk sell and give up the opportunity of being a part of it?

It's simple. Because he can't afford it. If he can't afford it, he loses the bid. The NCC still has the final say in what happens in Lebreton.

Last January they had negotiations to finalize the preliminary agreement.

TEN DAYS after Melnyk and the NCC struck that deal, Melnyk had his infamous meeting with Dorion in Barbados where they decided to sell Karlsson, where Dorion got his 3yr extension. Probably due to the fact that Melnyk made some financial commitments in that agreement.

It's still far from over though, they still need to approve the master plan for Lebreton. They probably won't seal the deal for the master plan until 2019.

My gut feeling is that the $135m loan Melnyk got last June was the potential investor getting their foot in the door, while giving Melnyk just enough rope to hang himself with. It was rumored that if Melnyk sold the team, they wold get first dibs. Which would mean they would have the inside track on Lebreton.

This is all high stakes maneuvering between billionaires in a potential real estate development of a life time. The team is just being used as a peon in all of this.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Melnyk is certainly eccentric, but mentally unwell? As someone who lost a close friend to actual mental illness I don't like seeing that term just thrown around, especially if it's to gain the upper hand in a business transaction (not saying OP did this, I know you're only passing along what you heard).

It's just one of those things people do now. Smears are leverage.

There have been people claiming Trump needs to be removed under the powers of the 25th amendment due to alleged mental illness for example.

In reality, it's just people desperately looking for a quick way out of a shitty situation with someone in charge that they hate. Trying to use mental illness to gain the upper hand in politics and in business is pretty low.. but for so many people now, the ends justify the means if their side wins.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I have been telling you people for quite a while about what is happening. This is somewhat true what was stated on the thread starter. I have always maintained what the original plan is to a few of the real people here who reached out to me a while back via private messaging. You guys know who you are. Things have been moving along quite well and there are some deadlines that are coming due soon. There will be a movement as far as ownership/partnership change. And, EM was offered 600million a few months back and he turned it down. Things are getting interesting and like I have said before.....EK65 never wanted to leave, he wanted to stay here......do not throw out his memorabilia just yet. This is going to something special one day, a story for the ages. No false hopes here.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
What wondercarrot was alluding to and what mysens have been saying are similar to what you heard. I have done my own digging and know the folks who are trying to buy from Melnyk. As I've always maintained, it's not a matter of if but when.

#1 and #2 align with what I know. #3 is funny if true.
HAHA, you know the truth!! Its getting more interesting as every day passes.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I have been telling you people for quite a while about what is happening. This is somewhat true what was stated on the thread starter. I have always maintained what the original plan is to a few of the real people here who reached out to me a while back via private messaging. You guys know who you are. Things have been moving along quite well and there are some deadlines that are coming due soon. There will be a movement as far as ownership/partnership change. And, EM was offered 600million a few months back and he turned it down. Things are getting interesting and like I have said before.....EK65 never wanted to leave, he wanted to stay here......do not throw out his memorabilia just yet. This is going to something special one day, a story for the ages. No false hopes here.

So should we hear major ownership changes by Feb-March?

Reactions: Marnie

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
7nzkj3vs69o11.png

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It feels like this team's fate is going to go hard in one of two opposite directions and it all hinges on Melnyk.

Either he sells and there's hope for the future of the franchise, or he doesn't and we're all forced to watch him continue to ruin the franchise with no hope.

I'll take option A please.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Melnyk is certainly eccentric, but mentally unwell? As someone who lost a close friend to actual mental illness I don't like seeing that term just thrown around, especially if it's to gain the upper hand in a business transaction (not saying OP did this, I know you're only passing along what you heard).

Eccentric is just the word for mentally unwell people who happen to be rich.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Dundon bought 61% of the Carolina Hurricanes and their 20-year-old arena in a post-Vegas-economics NHL for $420mil. That figure would mean that a 100% of the Carolina Hurricanes team and the arena was valued in the $700mil range.

Considering the Carolina Hurricanes are probably one of the three least valuable teams in the NHL, I don't think Melnyk and his 22 year old arena should think that $600mil is an unreasonable floor at all, especially with the potential to make money hands over fist with a new state of the art downtown arena.

This is the new economic reality of the NHL.

Hey I tend to agree with you. If there is going to be a sale there is likely a negotiation ongoing. These numbers, offers and everything else are likely a part of that.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's just one of those things people do now. Smears are leverage.

There have been people claiming Trump needs to be removed under the powers of the 25th amendment due to alleged mental illness for example.

In reality, it's just people desperately looking for a quick way out of a ****ty situation with someone in charge that they hate. Trying to use mental illness to gain the upper hand in politics and in business is pretty low.. but for so many people now, the ends justify the means if their side wins.
Without delving in to the politics and whether they should be used against them, you could argue that mental illness can be in the form of extreme narcissism, inability to feel empathy, deluded reality, etc., such as Donald Trump. Not saying one way or the other, just that it deserves to be in the conversation of mental illness.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Was wondering about #3 myself.

He is hurting business in Ottawa. The league should be concerned about this.

Marnie

Jul 28, 2018
I wish I could believe this.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Sick of buying into random HFBoards members who claim they talked to someone on the inside. We've been hearing this shit for a year now and it's not funny anymore.

I don't care if you say that you heard people are talking, but acting like something big is about to go down is just getting everyone's hopes up and is a shitty thing to do.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The #melnykout crowd is led by Nordiques fans and Toronto-based Leafs fans. They want to drive Senators revenue below the threshold for moving the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad