TSN: Pens waive DeSmith, Keep Jarry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
IMO very lucky he cleared.

Not really. We put him through the right time.

Most teams have their one and two set and those that don’t aren’t looking to take on 3 years for a guy whose played a handful of games.

Now, we try to waive him in November or mid October when injuries hit. Totally different story.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's definitely still possible, I'm just skeptical. We'll find out in a little over an hour, either way.

I'm not going to lie - when I posted this, I started getting superstitious and thinking he was totally going to get claimed just because I'd made that post. Kind of glad no NHL team made me look really stupid here :laugh:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not really. We put him through the right time.

Most teams have their one and two set and those that don’t aren’t looking to take on 3 years for a guy whose played a handful of games.

Now, we try to waive him in November or mid October when injuries hit. Totally different story.

Remember the Mike McKenna saga last year?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Surprised that DeSmith cleared, he has some really really solid numbers. By the looks he could be a solid backup for some team:

Casey DeSmith at eliteprospects.com

This is not the first year when last waiver wire before the season is nervewrecking as heck for many teams, but somehow this feels the most nerve wrecking and talent filled from the last few years.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone even need a backup? Maybe Sharks but don’t think they have the space to pickup DeSmith & waive Dell at $1.9.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Most important position on the team? Really? When was the last time the vezina winning goalie won the cup? Or when was the last time one of the highest paid goalies in the league won a cup? Yes it is crucial to have a reliable starter, but they don't have to be the best in the league or even top 5 in the league to win. In fact it usually comes down to a somewhat average goalie have a hot streak at the right time. It's also more about how the defense plays in front of them. Of course this is all just my opinion.
Sure, the collective can compensate for a bad goalie to an extent. But if we're comparing individuals and their positions, the goalie has more impact on the game. For example, look at Niemi for us a few years back. When a goalie plays like that, there's absolutely nothing you can do. If Letang has a horrific night, we can still escape with a W. I've seen it many times. Hell, he had a pretty f***ing bad season and we still made the playoffs in 2018. Same goes with Crosby. He can make errant passes all night, but the team can mitigate the damage and win.

The only reason people say 1D's are the most important is because they take it for granted that the goalie will be at least serviceable. That's not always the case. Look at Darling for Carolina. You CANNOT make the playoffs like that, at least if he plays that many games. There's just no way.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't believe CDS is viewed as a super great backup around the league front offices.
Yes he had a hot run but so did Condon.
He's also 6 foot nothin'.
Guys like Jarry and Comrie are more sought after.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
*shocked*

smitty was the go to back-up and Jarry got dumped on when he got his shot. Now this? Whatta?

Is this purely a numbers dump? (I didn't even check salaries, but does D make more than J and they can't give JJ away - so this instead?)

Or did Jarry grow and out perform smith?

Confused by this.

EDIT:
Confused before I read the posts some. Never post on a several page thread after reading only the first page of posts.
Learning has occurred.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
*shocked*

smitty was the go to back-up and Jarry got dumped on when he got his shot. Now this? Whatta?

Is this purely a numbers dump? (I didn't even check salaries, but does D make more than J and they can't give JJ away - so this instead?)

Or did Jarry grow and out perform smith?

Confused by this.
Basically, from what I learned, DeSmith isn’t a fan of eggs or breakfast for that matter, Jarry is on board with a healthy breakfast to start his morning and loves eggs, so there’s that.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Basically, from what I learned, DeSmith isn’t a fan of eggs or breakfast for that matter, Jarry is on board with a healthy breakfast to start his morning and loves eggs, so there’s that.

Maybe DeSmith is into grain-free, oxygen shots and colonics. Earning himself his way out of the burgh.

(I have no idea =P)

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Once on the Penguins Facebook page someone commented making fun of Jarry's name and his actual mom called them out.
OH DAMN!
Tristans mother combs the net protecting her son??
Ohhh man that has got to be embarrassing! hahaha

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
We should get Jarry's mom together with ZAR's mom. They could mom patrol the internet together. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad