PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is/was not the point.

The point is that their play wasn't so one-sided that you can/can't come to the conclusion they'd automatically win.

I mean, that is pretty much given with every playoff series.

The biggest issue heading into this series is Julien is a really good coach, and Montreal is essentially going to spend a month dissecting footage of our team.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I remember thinking Galchenyuk for Domi was terrible for Montreal. What an idiot.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean, that is pretty much given with every playoff series.

The biggest issue heading into this series is Julien is a really good coach, and Montreal is essentially going to spend a month dissecting footage of our team.

Yes. The thing that works against Jullian is the fact the team is not a stagnet entity. It's ever changing due to injuries and with the new additions there's not enough to go by for this particular group fully healthy.

There are givens for say line one with Crosby/Guentzel and Malkin/Rust on line 2, but beyond that things are a twisted mess when you add the rest. We don't even have a full grasp on it and we watch them every single game. Montreal is going to want to clog things up with speed and counter strike mistakes. Nothing new there. Keep it to low scoring affairs. They won't want to dance toe to toe in a wide open offensive game.

The Pens weakness comes from the bottom six in which they can contribute offensively enough. Defensively I think they stack up well enough.

The only constant here is ZAR, Blueger and Tanev.

We can have comfort in the top six.

Guentzel, Crosby, Sheary
Zucker, Malkin, Rust

But if they manage to get under their skin play wise and minimize their efforts I have no confidence that the bottom six is the 100% going to be the savior.

Marleau, McCann, Hornqvist
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev

Now if the top six really does open up things with their own play this will also open it up for the bottom six's success.

The first two games is going to tell a lot. Do they make adjustments if things go badly?

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes. The thing that works against Jullian is the fact the team is not a stagnet entity. It's ever changing due to injuries and with the new additions there's not enough to go by for this particular group fully healthy.

There are givens for say line one with Crosby/Guentzel and Malkin/Rust on line 2, but beyond that things are a twisted mess when you add the rest. We don't even have a full grasp on it and we watch them every single game. Montreal is going to want to clog things up with speed and counter strike mistakes. Nothing new there. Keep it to low scoring affairs. They won't want to dance toe to toe in a wide open offensive game.

The Pens weakness comes from the bottom six in which they can contribute offensively enough. Defensively I think they stack up well enough.

The only constant here is ZAR, Blueger and Tanev.

We can have comfort in the top six.

Guentzel, Crosby, Sheary
Zucker, Malkin, Rust

But if they manage to get under their skin play wise and minimize their efforts I have no confidence that the bottom six is the 100% going to be the savior.

Marleau, McCann, Hornqvist
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev

Now if the top six really does open up things with their own play this will also open it up for the bottom six's success.

The first two games is going to tell a lot. Do they make adjustments if things go badly?

I think the good thing is Hornqvist healthy can drive a line in terms of production.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the good thing is Hornqvist healthy can drive a line in terms of production.

I can see this. My only concern is the familiarity with McCann and more so with Marleau. Personally, even with Marleau being as old as he is, his speed is not a factor concern, and if they were to try it, he could be the center. He's more offensively deft than McCann will ever be in his career and this allows McCann to be the more responsible defensive F3 most times.

Out of the box, thought.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Geno is going to singlehandedly chop the Habs down and carry the team to the next round....lol

WATCH: Evgeni Malkin trains like a lumberjack in latest outdoor workout video

Man I hope so.

Even if he doesn't it's super encouraging how seriously he is taking maintenance and improvement. I'm not saying he didn't before but he's obviously stepped it up a notch as he's gotten older. It makes me much more confident we'll get even more seasons like we saw last year even as he gets closer to the end of his career.

I used to not think Malkin would be able to have a productive final act to his illustrious NHL career but now I could totally see him being a star player to the very end.

Reactions: Peat and Andy99

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Only two Habs players are currently in Montreal and their arena doesn't have ice.

The Canadiens announced Friday that the reason there is no ice is because they have been doing maintenance work at the Bell Sports Complex during the COVID-19 pandemic. But a source told the Montreal Gazette that in fact the Canadiens have laid off the staff that takes care of the ice, which is why there is none.

Stu on Sports: There's no ice in Brossard for Canadiens players | Montreal Gazette

Reactions: HandshakeLine

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
And it will be shameful that a team that talented ended up losing to a team whose best forward is Tomas Tatar.

And on this day I learned Tatar is still in the league. And having a decent year lol

Also, lol @ MTL that they don't even have an ice crew lol lol

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
That’s what I’m worried about.

We have a pretty good and experienced coaching staff too... and they have more than a month to prepare for the Habs. I mean, it works both ways and they do not have a distinct advantage on that front.

Him and Drouin could the second coming of Cammalleri in this series.

Cammalleri was great (8 points) and had timely goals, but let's not act as if we have not overcame stars having much better performances before (Ovechkin in 2009 being an example). Fleury being shit in games 6 and 7 is what killed us the most.

Drouin and Tatar could be good, but don't we still have Geno, Sid and Guentzel? None of their forwards is even close to these three. Hell, Rust was more productive than ANY of their forwards this year. And then, if we look at defenses, outside of Weber and Petri, they have a bunch of meh players. We have a better top 3 and better depth. Their only advantage is in net. Price is better than Murray or Jarry... but our guy still has two Cups under his belt. I mean, Jesus Christ, let's not be chicken littles!

And the long layoff excuses are lame too. We have an older team than them + our CORE has WON together very recently. They are battle-tested. The Habs have a bunch of misfits and young players. Very little depth and no high-end talent outside of Weber and Price.

I understand you guys have 2010 PTSD, but losing that series against the Habs would be a HUGE upset and a very pathetic outcome. Could we lose? Yes! It is the NHL, there is parity. Would it be a HUGE upset? Hell yeah! Stop being scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad