Series Talk: PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five) - Episode II: On a peur, très peur!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That still got time up in the top 6 at times, which is unacceptable. He's where he belongs and it's been a great benefit to the team and that's not to be disparaging towards ZAR, it's more so that he found his role on this team because he was kept in one spot and allowed to develop chemistry, something this coaching staff hates to do at times.

The unit of ZAR-Blue-Tanev has been f***ing amazing. A lot because they compliment each other, but also because they've figured each others nuances out from playing together more often.

He's played 250 minutes over the last two season with Malkin and Crosby combined. With the way our team has been injured I don't think that is an issue.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like Riiko a f***ton more than that tosser. Pettersson to me was a mistake to sign at 4m/yr. I see POJ-Marino as a 2nd pair for the future too, which means that chinless wanker is going to be on the 3rd pair, overpaid af.

If Pettersson is carrying our third pairing that is an excellent thing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Riikola has been our most sheltered dman both seasons, this one by quite a distance. Pettersson just took the leap from being near-ish to him to playing respectable minutes and people are piling the hate on. Riikola got more sheltered.

He's played 250 minutes over the last two season with Malkin and Crosby combined. With the way our team has been injured I don't think that is an issue.

I remember actually going over every instance he was with them last season - he was only paired with them once without there being injuries to other players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I genuinely can't understand how someone would rather play Riikola over Pettersson. Riikola is an OFD that can't produce and was insanely sheltered. Pettersson is used like a top-4 D and actually gives solid results.

It’s because Pettersson is a wanker and Riikola isn’t. Are you not following along?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I get it based on just eye test without considering context or counting the numbers. Riikola did look generally more in control when he had the puck than Pettersson. He should have.

It's only when you start looking at competition, and production numbers, that it starts to become obvious that Riikola's accomplishments were a little frothy and that anyone hoping for better results from their 4D than we got from Pettersson is spoiled (not that I don't think they can come mind).

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I like Riiko a f***ton more than that tosser. Pettersson to me was a mistake to sign at 4m/yr. I see POJ-Marino as a 2nd pair for the future too, which means that chinless wanker is going to be on the 3rd pair, overpaid af.

I think Pettersson gets too much hate. He is a fine number 4 and is still really young. He is only 24 and 1 year older than Marino. Riikola is 2 year older and never saw near the ice time Petts did. Petts avg 6 more minutes of ice time than Riikola this year. And plays on the PK which Riikola doesn't.

This was Petts second year in the league. Lets see if he can get over a sophomore slump and pick up play when they get back before railing on him.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Riikola was extremely sheltered this year but even accounting for that his numbers were very very strong. I at least would like to see him on our third pair. I'd also push back on the idea that he's an all-offence guy - his defensive stats have been better than his offensive stats in both seasons he's been with us, and in a limited sample he actually had some of the best scoring-chance suppression numbers in the league.

I know Pettersson isn't much to look at but he's had very solid results for us. He's a #4 defenceman, which is what we're paying him to be. As long as he's not on our powerplay much I'm not too worried about him.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think Pettersson gets too much hate. He is a fine number 4 and is still really young. He is only 24 and 1 year older than Marino. Riikola is 2 year older and never saw near the ice time Petts did. Petts avg 6 more minutes of ice time than Riikola this year. And plays on the PK which Riikola doesn't.

This was Petts second year in the league. Lets see if he can get over a sophomore slump and pick up play when they get back before railing on him.

This is what I think, he's a fine number 4, but a solid 5/6. POJ might be a better #4 which would be most welcome to bolster our D.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I genuinely can't understand how someone would rather play Riikola over Pettersson. Riikola is an OFD that can't produce and was insanely sheltered. Pettersson is used like a top-4 D and actually gives solid results.

I wouldnt replace Pettersson with Riikola, but I would replace JJ with Riikola in an instant. In very limited time he played, he looked better than JJ ever did in his best games this season, which there were maybe 2. Riikola and Schultz would be much better pair than JJ and Schultz. Riiikola can actually get the puck out and make a pass, he can also shoot it and get the puck on net. JJ doesnt do any of that. He may try for a big hit, completely miss, leave his D partner out to dry and get scored on.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I just don't like Mucus Pettersson's game, he's very bland, he's like Olli Maatta but not as slow, for me anyways. I think POJ is going to supplant him as the #4 probably soon so that 4m/yr contract isn't going to stick around for long which I'm ok with because the moment POJ makes the big club and they need to re-sign Marino, peace out No-Chin.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Getting sheltered minutes is not an indicator of a player's performance by default. People need to stop using that as an argument and get more specific.

Sometimes the coach is just biased. We've seen more and more of that as Sullivan's tenure has progressed. He's gotten soft. These playoffs are no exception. We already know of two players who will play in vital positions, despite having done nothing to earn it.

That doesn't make them better players than others. That makes them the coach's favorites.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I just don't like Mucus Pettersson's game, he's very bland, he's like Olli Maatta but not as slow, for me anyways. I think POJ is going to supplant him as the #4 probably soon so that 4m/yr contract isn't going to stick around for long which I'm ok with because the moment POJ makes the big club and they need to re-sign Marino, peace out No-Chin.
Mucus? No-Chin?

Such rapier wit.

He's decent #4.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Getting sheltered minutes is not an indicator of a player's performance by default. People need to stop using that as an argument and get more specific.

Sometimes the coach is just biased. We've seen more and more of that as Sullivan's tenure has progressed. He's gotten soft. These playoffs are no exception. We already know of two players who will play in vital positions, despite having done nothing to earn it.

That doesn't make them better players than others. That makes them the coach's favorites.
Riikola makes similar mistakes as Pettersson and he gets tagged for it way more often than any of the other younger guys. There's a hypocrisy for sure.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Now, Riko over JJ or Schultz?. yah i can see the reasoning.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Imagine thinking ZAR is the best player on that 4 line. i cant. Jesse has great insight on things for the most part.

Now ZAR isn't terrible like some think, but he is mostly a non factor.

Blueger getting underrated is hardly new for me, idiots propping up players like ZAR and putting them on some weird pedestal is hardly new as well. We know that line works fantastic as a trio, but claiming ZAR is the most important piece is just...yikes mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad