Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Jets: Pens w/o 8 of their dmen from last year.... wait?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Still way too early to say they aren't going to at least push for a wild card spot this year. But as a Cup contender it looks out of the question. They may not be able to move JJ but (I said this last year too after the deadline) but I think Gudbranson is a movable contract with 1 year left after this year. You can start there.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't agree with this. Gally has decent vision and Tanev has been a surprisingly good playmaker.

That's Sully. He believes in positivity. He knows what's going on and he isn't going to harp on the negatives to the media, especially with JR trying to make trades. And to be honest, there were things to like tonight. Really nothing stubborn about it.

He can make a pass, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have bottom six vision. I’ve seen most of his career, he’s not a playmaker.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
He can make a pass, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have bottom six vision. I’ve seen most of his career, he’s not a playmaker.
I never said he didn't have bottom 6 vision, I pointed out that he doesn't have blinders on. He's made passes in the last few games that Tyler Kennedy couldn't make if he was playing the game at half speed, so I just don't think the comparison is valid right now.

@ me when he's flying up the wing and chest sniping while he has multiple open teammates with him on the rush. :naughty:

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
The biggest factor in this result was:

Jets had a legit NHL goalie in net.

Pens had a piece of excrement.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
++++++++++ I fast forwarded most of the game. Honestly, if you are not watching live and the Pens fall behind by more than one goal, you might as well stop or fast forward most of the game. No fighting spirit whatsoever.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
++++++++++ I fast forwarded most of the game. Honestly, if you are not watching live and the Pens fall behind by more than one goal, you might as well stop or fast forward most of the game. No fighting spirit whatsoever.
That's what's alarming.

This team has a lot of plugs but it took Crosby to get in a fight and pump up this team against CBJ.

That's kinda sickening. ZAR and Kahun are wasted spots. Find someone with a heartbeat to fill those spots.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just think it’s funny to see us come full circle. Kunitz and Dupuis were consistent pain points because they weren’t skilled enough, the team finally forcefeeds a Bennett type in Simon into the Crosby line and we want Tanev there.

Do you not see a difference between wanting skill on your top line with Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis as a line vs wanting grit on your top line with Guentzel-Crosby-Simon? Ignoring the fact that Crosby has Guentzel now and probably needs a Dupuis or Kunitz type of winger on his RW is crazy disingenuous.

If Crosby's LW was still Kunitz, you'd have a point. But Guentzel isn't Kunitz. The Penguins need a guy like Tanev or Rust on Crosby's RW, the same way that Malkin and Guentzel need a guy like Tanev or Rust on their RW.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I dont think it matters whos in the line up. The problem with the Pens right now is a team issue. They're so far apart from each other and other teams players that it just makes hockey hard.

Its a coaching issue. This team isn't prepared for the season. They aren't competing.

Reactions: Andy99

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I didn't get to watch any of the game, or read the GDT or PGT yet.

How were Marino and Lafferty?

Marino was one of our Better Defensemen last night. Take that as you will.

But Marino and the Jets young patchwork defense played better than Guds, JJ, Letang.

Dumo and Schults also had their WTF moments.

Marino continued from preseason good first pass, offensive/passing skills are there.

Lafferty is fast. Has some jump to him. Looked better than Kahun, and our other passengers on offense.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'm not ready to punt on the season after three games. Realistically it will take at least 10-20 before we know what kind of team we are. So I'd give it that time and see what happens. If we're still struggling that many games in you consider a trade or a coaching move. I think under no circumstances do you move the first round pick though.

This team has brought it for exactly 2 of 9 periods. Those 2 periods were against arguably the worst team in the league

Last night Winnipeg was decimated on defense. You could make a case right now they're like the 6th best team in their division

The PP looks like trash, the defense is in shambles and MM is struggling to locate a beach ball

I know it's only 3 periods but man this team is in MAJOR trouble as it stands now. Feel free to bookmark this post at the 15 game mark

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Kahun has shown some skill, I just think he needs some time. Plus how is a guy like him supposed to stand out when the whole team is a tire fire.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm just being a dick and always had a soft spot for Maatta. I think he got too bad a rep here because of his lead feet and would prefer him over a few of the alternatives on this blueline, but certainly not pining for him.

Reactions: BHD

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'm just being a dick and always had a soft spot for Maatta. I think he got too bad a rep here because of his lead feet and would prefer him over a few of the alternatives on this blueline, but certainly not pining for him.

I really liked Maata too for a spell, thought he was a needed "brain" on the blueline

But last year (even before the injury) he was just lost and the redeeming quality he had: reading plays and positioning, it seemed he couldn't do that well now

Moving him and his contract for a lower contract was a win. We hope Kahun pans out, but if he doesn't I'm not going to skewer JR about it.

Sadly the only "brain" we have left on the defense is Dumo.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I dont think it matters whos in the line up. The problem with the Pens right now is a team issue. They're so far apart from each other and other teams players that it just makes hockey hard.

Its a coaching issue. This team isn't prepared for the season. They aren't competing.

yeah, you know I’ve watched a lot of other games so far this season, and we absolutely blow...most other teams can get on pucks and get them out of their end, other teams play together, they put pucks behind the opposing goalie for the most part...I think our talent has been diminished but we shouldn’t be this bad...

I absolutely fault coaching when we’ve turned over a good part of the roster and we still are crap...if Sully can’t turn this around by November, he should be the first to go...before trading any D man

Reactions: Burn

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I turned it off when it was 3-1. Always a shame when the teams wastes early momentum. Which they definitely had when Crosby scored.

It’s early but Gudbranson’s play last season(which honestly I don’t remember being impressive but the advanced stats say so..) is definitely looking like a fluke.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lafferty was one of the best players for either team and even if that was just first game adrenaline + luck I’d like to see him bumped up with Sid. I think he can possess as well as Simon while also bringing size and probably the right shot is advantageous for Sid.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
i also liked maatta, but he wasn't what you want playing Chinese fire y drill hockey. he seems to be doing fine for his new team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Lafferty was one of the best players for either team and even if that was just first game adrenaline + luck I’d like to see him bumped up with Sid. I think he can possess as well as Simon while also bringing size and probably the right shot is advantageous for Sid.

Agreed. Really this coaching staff/JR have to change up their thinking cuz none of what they're doing to start is working.

Starts with playing Marino and probably trying out Riiko too.
Working hard on a different system that will give them a better chance/more consistent effort.
And letting go of some of the coaches pets to give some Wilkes youth the potential shot in the arm the F group needs.

Some of that will happen but i don't see enough of it happening to make a huge difference.
Sully and probably JR too will be in the hot seat from fans/maybe a few rebel media, if this train keeps trying to go down the rails tipped to the side on one rail like they have been.

Jake-Sid-Lafferty
Chucky-McCann-Tanev <give it another shot.
AJ-Blueger-DiPauli/Angello
Simon-Agozzino-Angello/DiPauli

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
JJ/Riiko-Marino

I'd waive ZAR today and bring DiPauli and Angello up.
I'd practice breakouts all day/every day.
I'd play a more conservative clog the NZ style vs sending 2/3 Forecheckers every shift.
I'd pray...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad