Series Talk: Pens vs Habs Round 1 Best of Five - Episode 5: Camme toé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
That 3rd line looked bad tonight. That's the line that concerns me beyond all others. I have no idea what McCann is gonna do.
That was my main takeaway. On the plus side Marino rocks. And JJ didn't suck. Schultz though..and Malkin ,uneven is the kindest way to look at it.

Reactions: Ryder71

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
MTL's 4th line is pretty good with Domi on it. Been creating stuff/getting chances all night.

ETA: MTL has given up 2 shorties in this one.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Price has given up 4 goals...thanks Leafs you have woken him up against the Pens where he will post 4 shutouts and it will all be 1-0 wins.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Which is what I mean about Sully getting too cute with BART. I think that is going to be our true downfall forward wise this post season.

Play the McCann line like the 4th line, since Sully's going to use the Blueger line like the 3L checking line anyways. Shouldn't be that big of an issue if that McCann line is our 4th line. That's actually quite a bit of talent to have on your 4th line.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
This was from Vensel’s article in the PG about the game...and it’s the concerning part for sure (besides the PP)...

“The Flyers may lack the kind of cannons the Penguins can wheel out there, but they looked like the team more ready for playoff hockey. They flustered the Penguins blue-liners without an all-out forecheck. They clogged the middle of the ice. And when the Flyers had the puck, they didn’t mind lobbing it deep.
That was the kind of stuff the Penguins did in November and December and early January, when they were one of the NHL’s best and most mentally tough teams despite injuries. But they got away from that after the All-Star break and were doing some serious soul-searching when the season halted March 12.”
But hasn’t that always been the case when both Sid and Geno are playing? The only real time they play “structured” hockey as a team when 87 and 71 are in the lineup has been in series close- out games.
I thought they had a real good 3rd period. They started to establish a forecheck and play in Phillys end. In other words they went to work.
In the first 2 periods it looked like they were trying to win a transition game, making dumb little passes at the Cryers blue line that more often than not go the other way. It’s pretty when it works(like the 1st goal) but if the other team lays back, it becomes very difficult.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Hard to blame Recchi for them not being able to make simple zone entries and accurate passes.
It's not like he's controlling them with a joystick.

That being said, he's not a good PP coach and never has been.
I’d give anything for them to try and lure Blaine Forsythe away from the Caps. That dude knows how to utilize players strengths.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But hasn’t that always been the case when both Sid and Geno are playing? The only real time they play “structured” hockey as a team when 87 and 71 are in the lineup has been in series close- out games.
I thought they had a real good 3rd period. They started to establish a forecheck and play in Phillys end. In other words they went to work.
In the first 2 periods it looked like they were trying to win a transition game, making dumb little passes at the Cryers blue line that more often than not go the other way. It’s pretty when it works(like the 1st goal) but if the other team lays back, it becomes very difficult.

True, Sid and G don’t want to play that way, but opposing coaches have caught up to the team’s breakouts, passes etc...someone’s going to go Isles on them this PO again...
Edit: I’ve always thought the Pens should lay back and force mistakes. We’d be the team taking advantage more of the other team’s mistakes and we have the talent to make them pay. Our aggression is too easy to take advantage of now

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Edit: I’ve always thought the Pens should lay back and force mistakes. We’d be the team taking advantage more of the other team’s mistakes and we have the talent to make them pay. Our aggression is too easy to take advantage of now
I thought they tried that and the players basically quit on the coach. :naughty:
Mind you this is a much better roster top to bottom than that MJ team was.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I thought they tried that and the players basically quit on the coach. :naughty:
Mind you this is a much better roster top to bottom than that MJ team was.

that’s the problem..they don’t want to play the hard PO hockey that’s horrible to watch and probably play...I don’t blame them..lol

Reactions: canadianguy77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->