Series Talk: Pens vs Habs Round 1 Best of Five - Episode 5: Camme toé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nearly there...

Let's hope we don't get swept again...

By... Montreal... :laugh:

I’m not going to say he has to but I do wonder if he’d just be spinning his wheels in another season in juniors. Maybe he doesn’t and it wouldn’t kill him if he did, but it would be annoying.

Screw those rules. They need to be able to make an exception for some players.

I demand obscure regional French-Canadian obscenities.

Varone has a ton of pro experience. I'd trust him way more than Poulin at the moment if we had injuries in the bottom 6.

Couldn't make it out, the 18 pro sports championship banners for the city of Pittsburgh are in my way. Who cares want a little piss ant nobody who never beat anyone or won anything is wearing.

That would be idiot Brendan Gallagher. Not the smartest tool in the shed off the ice.

He's a legitimate Cincinatti Bengals fan though. So might not be a troll, just a poor taste in team and player.

Pls no

I thought it was pretty funny

Would be cool if they could offer an exception to this rule. Something like:

Only one prospect per NHL franchise per season can forgo their overage year in the CHL in order to play in the AHL.

This may be the only series where the majority of fans for both teams are rooting for the same team to win.

Should we tank for Lafreniere?

I said before.

I don't even have to get that far.

I am really torn over whether winning or losing this series would provide me with the most entertainment value.

Boy how f***ing true,eh?

Even a committee deciding or the team having to pay a fee. Personally, I’d start the ELC as soon as a CHL player goes into the AHL early, it would be a deterrent from abuse.

f*** it. Just lose, this season has been ass anyways and we'll have chance to draft lafreniere to set up for the future.

You know, you strike me as a glass half-full kinda guy.

but it could be a very big glass.:laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You realize that "camme toi" essentially means "sniff coke" in France French? :laugh:

The internet told me it means Relax in Quebecois. That's a very different meaning.

Although either way, I think it kinda fits the current mood :laugh: Dunno about anyone else, but feels like with a week to go it's beginning to feel real to people and it's getting a bit high-strung.

I'll definitely feel a little more relaxed for seeing a couple of competitive games and also seeing them get through the first few days in the bubble with no Covid. It sounds like the training camps have been pretty solid in terms of not many cases but you'd want to see that continue once they're altogether in the bubble for this to really truly happen.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The internet told me it means Relax in Quebecois. That's a very different meaning.

Although either way, I think it kinda fits the current mood :laugh: Dunno about anyone else, but feels like with a week to go it's beginning to feel real to people and it's getting a bit high-strung.

I'll definitely feel a little more relaxed for seeing a couple of competitive games and also seeing them get through the first few days in the bubble with no Covid. It sounds like the training camps have been pretty solid in terms of not many cases but you'd want to see that continue once they're altogether in the bubble for this to really truly happen.

"Calme toé" is what you were looking for :laugh:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m a little late to the party. Say we lose and don’t win the lottery for number 1 overall. What pick do we wind up with? 24 or so?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Penguins lose to the Habs, I really hope they:

1. Keep their 1st rounder this year
2. Make big changes this off-season

Luckily I think both of those are safe assumptions. If they lose to the Habs, Murray is definitely gone and I think they make multiple other moves. It's not a problem of losing in the play-in round, it's losing to the Habs in the play-in round.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If the Penguins lose to the Habs, I really hope they:

1. Keep their 1st rounder this year
2. Make big changes this off-season

Luckily I think both of those are safe assumptions. If they lose to the Habs, Murray is definitely gone and I think they make multiple other moves. It's not a problem of losing in the play-in round, it's losing to the Habs in the play-in round.

1 is no longer safe. Rutherford sent a text to The Athletic two weeks ago (reported on by both Russo and Rossi) saying the lottery would determine whether we kept the first round pick if we went out of the play-ins. I don't know how exactly this scenario is playing out in Rutherford's head, but it doesn't sound like the 1st rounder is definitely sticking. Which is weird to me but there we go.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1 is no longer safe. Rutherford sent a text to The Athletic two weeks ago (reported on by both Russo and Rossi) saying the lottery would determine whether we kept the first round pick if we went out of the play-ins. I don't know how exactly this scenario is playing out in Rutherford's head, but it doesn't sound like the 1st rounder is definitely sticking. Which is weird to me but there we go.

Why would the Penguins give up a guaranteed #15 pick over a 2021 1st? That would just be a nonsensical decision, unless he somehow thinks the Penguins are going to be a lottery team next year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"In front of both goalies is a mostly even collection of talent [on the blueline], which perhaps partially explains why both team’s defensive numbers were so similar. Pittsburgh has a slight edge when it comes to the top four, but that’s mitigated by the team’s bottom pair which is anchored by the team’s largest problem, Jack Johnson, whose presence is costing the Penguins one entire win of value. Yikes.

That may seem like a harsh valuation for a player earning just shy of 20 minutes, but the simple act of receiving minutes does not in any way say anything about the actual quality of play provided in those minutes. In Johnson’s case, it’s a reverse Midas situation where everything he touches sours immediately.

Remember those sketchy Crosby numbers I mentioned above? In 203 minutes together, Crosby has a 39 percent expected goals rate when Johnson is on the ice and is outscored by a two-to-one margin. When he’s off, his numbers jump back up to his normal 57 percent range. It’s a similar story with Kris Letang. WOWY’s are generally flawed because they ignore the other eight skaters on the ice, but in these extreme cases, the message seems to be pretty clear toward the type of negative effect Johnson can have. He unsurprisingly had the team’s worst 5-on-5 numbers and simply taking him out of the lineup would provide a massive boost to the team, adding three percentage points of series win probability. For those counting at home, that’s over six percentage points the Penguins are leaving on the table by keeping Johnson and Murray in the starting lineup in favour of better options. Those hoping Johnson’s numbers will improve further down the lineup should note that in 168 minutes together with Justin Schultz, the pair were outscored 8-3 and earned a 41 percent expected goals rate."

2020 NHL qualifying round preview: Penguins vs. Canadiens

Say it louder for those in the back:

Replace JJ with Riikola and the Pens become a better team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why would the Penguins give up a guaranteed #15 pick over a 2021 1st? That would just be a nonsensical decision, unless he somehow thinks the Penguins are going to be a lottery team next year.

Well quite.

Three semi-logical possible explanations I have

1) He values the positive reputations from being nice and sending it over having the player now
2) He thinks the untouched '21 1st will be better trade bait than the 20/the player he picks with it
3) He thinks the difference between the player he'd get now and the player he gets in 21 isn't that big, and therefore not worth possibly losing out on a lottery slot next year

Most of which seem a bit odd to me. Although I'm not sure 15 this year is going to get a wildly better player than whatever next year, but who cares, it's one year closer on the development clock for a team for whom that matters.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
"In front of both goalies is a mostly even collection of talent [on the blueline], which perhaps partially explains why both team’s defensive numbers were so similar. Pittsburgh has a slight edge when it comes to the top four, but that’s mitigated by the team’s bottom pair which is anchored by the team’s largest problem, Jack Johnson, whose presence is costing the Penguins one entire win of value. Yikes.

That may seem like a harsh valuation for a player earning just shy of 20 minutes, but the simple act of receiving minutes does not in any way say anything about the actual quality of play provided in those minutes. In Johnson’s case, it’s a reverse Midas situation where everything he touches sours immediately.

Remember those sketchy Crosby numbers I mentioned above? In 203 minutes together, Crosby has a 39 percent expected goals rate when Johnson is on the ice and is outscored by a two-to-one margin. When he’s off, his numbers jump back up to his normal 57 percent range. It’s a similar story with Kris Letang. WOWY’s are generally flawed because they ignore the other eight skaters on the ice, but in these extreme cases, the message seems to be pretty clear toward the type of negative effect Johnson can have. He unsurprisingly had the team’s worst 5-on-5 numbers and simply taking him out of the lineup would provide a massive boost to the team, adding three percentage points of series win probability. For those counting at home, that’s over six percentage points the Penguins are leaving on the table by keeping Johnson and Murray in the starting lineup in favour of better options. Those hoping Johnson’s numbers will improve further down the lineup should note that in 168 minutes together with Justin Schultz, the pair were outscored 8-3 and earned a 41 percent expected goals rate."

2020 NHL qualifying round preview: Penguins vs. Canadiens

Say it louder for those in the back:

Replace JJ with Riikola and the Pens become a better team.

spoiler alert: he won’t be replaced...nhl coaches love physical players who hit and pk, even if they can’t do anything else well...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's astonishing that a team with a well respected analytics guy in a senior front office role is playing JJ. Like, what does Sam Ventura do everytime they ice JJ? Cry? Look at other jobs? What does Rutherford and Sully do when they point the facts out to him?

tenor.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Madden says Sid is dealing with soreness from his core surgery...this really puts a negative spin on things...

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com

We assumed that was what it was. Lingering pain from a surgery is tough to call whether or not he would even be able to tough it out and play through. It's not a simple arm or leg pain... it's most likely much more significant pain in a very bad area to try and power through.

Can't believe Trotman came back in 7 or so weeks and hasn't had a problem with it (that I know of), since.

Speaking of Trotman, it looks like the penguins are not taking him to the bubble. Czuczman / POJ are the extras. Trotman wasn't even in camp was he? (dont even really care.... I dislike him).

Now we wait to see how many games get cancelled... at the very LEAST we should be able to get to watch Pens Flyers tomorrow... before things possibly go haywire.... like the mlb. First week and cancelling games already.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We assumed that was what it was. Lingering pain from a surgery is tough to call whether or not he would even be able to tough it out and play through. It's not a simple arm or leg pain... it's most likely much more significant pain in a very bad area to try and power through.

Can't believe Trotman came back in 7 or so weeks and hasn't had a problem with it (that I know of, since).

Speaking of Trotman, it looks like the penguins are not taking him to the bubble. Czuczman / POJ are the extras. Trotman wasn't even in camp was he? (dont even really care.... I dislike him).

Now we wait to see how many games get cancelled... at the very LEAST we should be able to get to watch Pens Flyers tomorrow... before things possible go haywire.... like the mlb. First week and cancelling games already.

Trotman opted out due to COVID-19, he wasn't even at the camp.

Reactions: LOGiK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->