Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Habs - Error 404. Invalid Effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Guentzel-Sid-Simon
Rust-Malkin-PH
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel

Dumoulin - Letang
Riikola - Johnson
Maatta - Schultz

Try it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kessel had his share of turnovers, they just, by luck, didn’t end up directly contributing to goals.

I think each had 3 neutral zone turnovers which is 2 too many even if you’re giving them leeway as superstars.

I was talking about his play in his own end. I give guys like Malkin, Crosby and Kessel the benefit of the doubt in the NZ or they wouldn’t be the players they are.

Unless it’s a bad NZ turnover in the third protecting a lead, tie game, etc.

Malkin not only blew two assignments in his own end that lead to goals, he had two other atrocious turnovers below his own circle.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo and BHD

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
boy it does not take much for the Malkin Bashing Season to start in this city...
sincerely...
fanboy!
P.S. by the time next game is on he will have committed seven turnovers, ten takeaways, scored on his own goalie six times, kill four babies at McGee, etc..... Drop Geno from the first PP unit, Unf...... believable

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
boy it does not take much for the Malkin Bashing Season to start in this city...
sincerely...
fanboy!
P.S. by the time next game is on he will have committed seven turnovers, ten takeaways, scored on his own goalie six times, kill four babies at McGee, etc..... Drop Geno from the first PP unit, Unf...... believable
Who is asking for anything like that? I think we all know Geno is an amazing player. He's my favorite player by a country mile. But he was bad last night.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
sincerely...
fanboy!
I mean he’s been directly responsible for what, 5 goals against in 2 games?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
sincerely...
fanboy!

So we are only allowed to follow cliches and rag on Kessel. Even when Malkin screws up, blame it on Kessel, because cliches are fun.

Malkin fanboys are a sensitive lot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The goal that really made me mad was the first goal against last night, where Malkin lazily flipped the puck towards center ice and then skated off the ice as the Habs came back on the counterattack. The turnover was whatever, because you can point the finger at Simon and Johnson for that play too (Johnson for being too aggressive and Simon for not covering for Johnson being too aggressive), but just skating off the ice as the Habs have the puck in your zone just pisses me off. It's laziness, that's what it is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Geno tends to play simpler when he has simpler linemates. Probably like any other center. Put Hornqvist or Rust on his wing. At least then he’d have dump-in options when teams are stacking guys in the neutral zone.

I'd generally agree with that, maybe amending that Geno does well when his linemates have well-defined roles. Kessel and Malkin both want to be mail-carriers which leaves the other one playing second fiddle whenever he doesn't have the puck.

Malkin's worked well with simple players like Hags, Rust, and last year Hornqvist, but he's also worked well with Neal because the guy knew his role and didn't always need the puck.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What has Simon done to be put on the top line? The only time he has looked good has been with Brassard and Rust.

Guentzel and Sid are our best duo. You don't need much from a RW on that line. And Sid seems to like playing with him. I love PH but he doesn't seem capable of playing at their pace.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd generally agree with that, maybe amending that Geno does well when his linemates have well-defined roles. Kessel and Malkin both want to be mail-carriers which leaves the other one playing second fiddle whenever he doesn't have the puck.

Malkin's worked well with simple players like Hags, Rust, and last year Hornqvist, but he's also worked well with Neal because the guy knew his role and didn't always need the puck.

Hags - Malkin - Hornqvist is great, but then you run into Rust - Brassard - Kessel which is just as an adventure in terms of possession.

They should’ve just moved Kessel this summer. It would’ve cleared up all of our roster issues.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hags - Malkin - Hornqvist is great, but then you run into Rust - Brassard - Kessel which is just as an adventure in terms of possession.

They should’ve just moved Kessel this summer. It would’ve cleared up all of our roster issues.

I was thinking more Hags-Malkin-Sprong, but the last half of that sentence stuck in my craw.

I don't understand where you're getting that idea from. Judging from their small sample together last year, Rust-Brass-Kessel is anything but an adventure in terms of possession. I'd love to see that tried again.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Except it would make our roster much less potent.

None of the in-house winger replacements for Kessel could match his offensive punch, at least not *this* season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Except it would make our roster much less potent.

None of the in-house winger replacements for Kessel could match his offensive punch, at least not *this* season.

Long term, yes. Power play wise, yes.

But this year you’d have minutes you could push on Brassard and Brassard could easily push 40-50 ES points with the right usage here effectively replacing Kessel without even getting into if we acquired a Coyle or Domi for him.

Say you move Kessel out and get Coyle or Domi and they put up 30 ES points. Brassard puts up 30 ES points. That is bare minimum and they would effectively improve on Kessel’s production.

And we wouldn’t be catering one of our superstars to be locked in with Kessel because his feelings got hurt.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I was thinking more Hags-Malkin-Sprong, but the last half of that sentence stuck in my craw.

I don't understand where you're getting that idea from. Judging from their small sample together last year, Rust-Brass-Kessel is anything but an adventure in terms of possession. I'd love to see that tried again.

We don’t need to get in an argument regarding 8-20 minutes of ice time dictating predictive results as we have multiple times this offseason

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Guentzel and Sid are our best duo. You don't need much from a RW on that line. And Sid seems to like playing with him. I love PH but he doesn't seem capable of playing at their pace.

Horny is still playing well but he can help other lines more so than that line. Jake and Sid will play well with whoever Sprong, Simon or Rust is there. I could see Rust doing better on that line this season (their adv. stats were always good) from what I’ve seen. I know that will be an unpopular opinion.

I’d still go back to HGH because that line can come at you in different ways. If there is space either Malkin brings it up or Hags uses his speed. No space just dump it and Hags and Horny go to work while Malkin trails in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Horny is still playing well but he can help other lines more so than that line. Jake and Sid will play well with whoever Sprong, Simon or Rust is there. I could see Rust doing better on that line this season (their adv. stats were always good) from what I’ve seen. I know that will be an unpopular opinion.

I’d still go back to HGH because that line can come at you in different ways. If there is space either Malkin brings it up or Hags uses his speed. No space just dump it and Hags and Horny go to work while Malkin trails in.

So,

Jake - Crosby - Sprong
Hag - Malkin - Hornqvist
Simon - Brassard - Kessel
Cullen - Sheahan - Rust

Seems to be the smartest roster combination at this time. I imagine the coaches line up actually flops Sprong and Rust though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Good discussion but it looks like we are moving forward to lines and what not. Let's move to the all purpose thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->