Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Habs - Error 404. Invalid Effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+++ Letang: 2 games in, and 58 is our MVP so far. Really playing well. Congrats on surpassing Coffey. Great 2 way game and great effort. He's playing terrific hockey.

+ Montreal: I saw them play against Toronto and thought they looked terrific. A real sense of urgency. They brought that tonight in a big way. I thought they looked great and Price looked great. Good on them. They earned it.

------------------ Geno: Since his turnover to Oshie, he's hurt this team so much it's not even funny. He flubbed a clear in our zone, casually goes off the ice and doesn't protect the flub, and we get scored on. On the PP he gets beat with zero effort to give up a goal. Then to make matters worse a dump-in occurs and he casually goes back to cover nobody, stands around, and a guy wide open in front of the net for 10 seconds scores. Awful game by G.

- Mental Errors: These are all mental errors. I don't get it. Last year I understood because the team ran out of gas and when you run out of gas, you make mental errors. 16 turnovers in Game 1. How do they back it up? We piss pucks away and look awful. Maatta and Jack Johnson with a huge mental error turning away from the play for no reason. All correctable issues that unfortunately aren't happening. Dumo/Schultz/Oleksiak also sucking. Nobody except Letang deserves a spot and it's so dumb that Riikola has to sit while this stuff goes on.

Those are just the 3 (Penguins) things I want to touch on. It's not the end of the world. Last year made sense why we made mental errors because that team legit ran out of gas and we have plenty of sources that agrees the team just hit the wall. It happens to back to back teams. But there are no excuses for the carryover. This team had a full summer to get it together. It's time to bring the sense of urgency. I think we will be fine. If you take half the mental errors out of this game and finish twice out of the wide open nets we have, it's 3-2 or 3-3. I think we would be fine.

And maybe it's time for Sully to switch things up from a system perspective to re-engage the defense and the team effort. That may sync the group up a bit. If not - we need a mega shake up on that defense. Johnson/Riikola is a start but Oleksiak or Maatta have to go. Get the right shake up.

But calm down... long season! This team has the group to make a run. They just have to figure it out. It's better to shine a spotlight on the piece of shit right now so we can fix it. I wouldn't want a false sense of hope and have it come up later.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Only saw the 2nd and 3rd, which was about 19 minutes and 58 seconds of too much. Brutal game all around. Nice to see Sprong get another point and Letang looks decent for a change. Other than that shame on all of them! Murray needs to wake up.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The lines were awful, mainly Geno-Kessel and Sprong continuing to do what's asked of him and not getting any reward for it.

Every defenseman except Letang was hot garbage.

Murray's first two games were like the garbage water that collects at the bottom of the dumpster during the summer.

Sully's line combos are just infuriating.

Nobody on this team looks like they give one single f*** about playing defensively, at forward or defense.

Nobody came to play tonight except like Letang, Jake, and Sprong.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We don't have another game until Thursday. That time needs to be spent working closely with the defense.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The Habs clogged shooting and passing lanes all night. Couldnt get shit through. Then they just calmly collect the puck and chip it out or pass to their safety outlet.

They also collapsed around their net perfectly and let very few rebound shots get off.

Their hustle and effort level was on 11 as well.

Kudos to them.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Dumo sucking is particularly alarming. Wasn’t he our best defenseman last year in the playoffs?

Then again, Letang kinda sucked in the playoffs and has looked good? Just can’t get everyone clicking all at once.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

In-f***ing-deeeeeeeed.

Most prophetic GDT subtitle ever.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not much to really say. It was a disaster. Start fresh next game.

Sully has to make some adjustments and go from there

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Dumo sucking is particularly alarming. Wasn’t he our best defenseman last year in the playoffs?

Then again, Letang kinda sucked in the playoffs and has looked good? Just can’t get everyone clicking all at once.

Dumo is up and down during the regular season since he’s moved up to the top 4. Great playoff performer though so it’s ok.

Reactions: radapex

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I don't disagree with the notion that the goals are not on Murray (except the wrap around of course), but if he isn't going to stop much why not just have an AHL journeyman take that job? I mean if the expectations are so low. But then again, all our goalies are getting hung out to dry.

+ Letang
+ Another Sprong point and generally a good game

That's it.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I don't even know what to say. Lackadaisical, brain dead, no hunger, no effort, no support, no battle level, no excuse. Reminds me of last season.

I hope Sully rips them. Enough "good cop"

Reactions: Angrrus

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’ll say it again...teams know how to play the Pens..every team is doing it..MTL taking a page out of the Caps and OTT playbook...clog up the NZ, slow down transition, get the highly skilled offensive players frustrated, mistakes will be made...

Same thing last year...we didn’t change anything...teams have to play very well for three periods to win so we will still win a lot...but the question will be the POs again...anyone who can do this consistently over a series will beat us....I’d like to see us turn the tables on some of these teams, by playing our own version of clogging the NZ...be patient, not push the play as much, and we’ll likely be rewarded more...

Reactions: Angrrus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->