Post-Game Talk: Pens try to play hockey against Isles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Hmm... have you ever heard of team chemistry??? Oh, that only exists in fantasy-land you say?

The easiest path for JR to have to take at the TDL was simply upgrading the 4th line with a C. Could have been done on the cheap and you wouldn't have nuked 2 top prospects. But people here in and the organization wanted their Brassard, and now you have him.

Bottom line, the team hasn't looked great since the acquisition and their 4th line still blows.

Maybe when ZAR and Simon are back the lineup finally makes sense for 4 lines, but that's depending on Sully to make the right choices which he hasn't done very much of this season.
I think we should hire you as coach and GM. You seem to have it figured out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Isles came out with a different defensive game plan...it took awhile for the Pens to adjust—that and the layoff and the penalties led to their demise. . Yes, the coaching, the lines could’ve helped and didn’t really until it was too late. After they got down and realized the Isles were going to make them work for this win, they essentially gave up. It is what it is. That’s been this team’s MO this year— they don’t want to play hard in many games and/or for 60 minutes.

I’ll be in full blown panic mode over their PO chances if they come out at home tonight and play the same way....

In the meantime, it’s too early to speculate over lack of leadership or motivation or deadline changes....chill out...

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Maybe its a correlation vs. causation thing, but the team has been mediocre at best since the trade deadline and was white hot right before it. Brassard has been a complete flop and I think some of the biggest supporters of the trade are even wondering whether they got too myopic.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
As a fan its really frustrating when your team doesn't even compete, its hard to watch when your team is just going through the motions.

I realize that every team in the league is gonna have a couple games over an 82 game season where they don't have it, but this team has those games all the time.

Something just seems off with this team.

You shouldn't be having games like this when you only have 10 games left and still have a lot to play for.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think we should hire you as coach and GM. You seem to have it figured out.

Is that supposed to be an insult?? Do you actually believe that I would be lost at the job?? My gosh, it's not rocket science. I could do the job with ease, probably even on a part time basis. The job has nothing with what you know, more who you know.

Ray SHERO, change his last name and the guy never sniffs at becoming a GM. Yikes

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What an amazing generation, they only want to hear reality that is accepted with their group's approval.

Lol. There is some truth to this in society today, but not so sure it's generational. More a function of technology and the ability to live in your own reality and rarely, if ever, hear from credible people with opposing views.

That said, your point has nothing to do with people saying stupid shit on the internet and other people choosing to not read it.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Maybe its a correlation vs. causation thing, but the team has been mediocre at best since the trade deadline and was white hot right before it. Brassard has been a complete flop and I think some of the biggest supporters of the trade are even wondering whether they got too myopic.
Brassard is a good player. He has a proven track record of years worth of good stats and particularly in the playoffs. However, maybe his fit here isn't working out so well. It feels a bit like Iginla to me. Someone will surely point out the complete misuse of Iggy, but it kinda feels that way to me. The other big part of this to me is the lack of energy created by any particular person or line. The severe lack of any physicality or spark has been problematic in my mind. Sometimes the tone of the game needs that one moment to change its trajectory. We just seems to lack that at the moment.

Perhaps the bigger question is, where could it come from? Sid? Geno? Kessel? HCMS? Leaders need to lead.

Reactions: Return of the Paek

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What an amazing generation, they only want to hear reality that is accepted with their group's approval.

I mean... there is a poster in this thread who is doing nothing but shitting on Crosby, even though Crosby created numerous chances last night and was one of the best players on the ice. That poster clearly didn't watch the game, and in reality, is probably a fan of another team/player. I find it pretty convenient that he/she only shows up here when Crosby's name doesn't appear in the box score.

Last edited by a moderator:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maybe it needs to be more than message and perhaps be a game plan? Not trying to back the bus over HCMS, but this malaise isn't all on the players.

Sullivan definitely needs to make some adjustments. However, I'm not sure how much good it will do. He could put players where they need to be, but if the commitment isn't there...

Overall, the team has looked unfocused for the last month. Hags/Geno/Horny is the only line that looks engaged.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Brassard is a good player. He has a proven track record of years worth of good stats and particularly in the playoffs. However, maybe his fit here isn't working out so well. It feels a bit like Iginla to me. Someone will surely point out the complete misuse of Iggy, but it kinda feels that way to me. The other big part of this to me is the lack of energy created by any particular person or line. The severe lack of any physicality or spark has been problematic in my mind. Sometimes the tone of the game needs that one moment to change its trajectory. We just seems to lack that at the moment.

Perhaps the bigger question is, where could it come from? Sid? Geno? Kessel? HCMS? Leaders need to lead.

Brassard has played 10 games in Pittsburgh and has 1 goal and 5 points, all at ES. While I agree the team hasn't played consistently well of late and Brass is taking some time to get acclimated, that's pretty solid production. If he kept that pace, that would be 41 ES points per 82 as a 3rd line center. His career ES points per 82 is 34.

Point being, it's way too soon and way too reactionary to suggest he doesn't fit in Pittsburgh. His production says otherwise and one player can't make a team. The team needs to figure their shit out.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's a center...no wait,,,he's a wing....no wait he's a center...lol HCMS looking for a spark might be doing a bit TOO much juggling.
I am all for double shifting brassard and Sheahan like that. Both are better than the role they are playing on our team and should get more minutes than will naturally come in those roles.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
It can't be overlooked that Brassard is coming from a team whose style is the antithesis of Penguins hockey. Adjustment may take a while, but it better come soon.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Let's not talk about ignoring other posters. You can use the function, but be mindful of those you're ignoring. They're posting here after all...

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Brassard has played 10 games in Pittsburgh and has 1 goal and 5 points, all at ES. While I agree the team hasn't played consistently well of late and Brass is taking some time to get acclimated, that's pretty solid production. If he kept that pace, that would be 41 ES points per 82 as a 3rd line center. His career ES points per 82 is 34.

Point being, it's way too soon and way too reactionary to suggest he doesn't fit in Pittsburgh. His production says otherwise and one player can't make a team. The team needs to figure their **** out.

Yeah, but what is the fun of being patient? Isn't posting absurd knee-jerk reactions the whole point of this board?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If the Pens win the next game by 3 goals are we debating not if the Pens three peat but how many games they give up on the way to the three peat?

I am trying to follow how the rules of the post game day thread work.

Here is my thoughts, reason I said they are not all in.

They can win all they want, but if they don't win consistently on the road the fact they win so many at home doesn't matter. They will not have the benefit of home ice at all if they can't win on the road.

Not that this is reasoning for, but the league doesn't seem to want them to repeat (not good for business) with how they scheduled their games with so many B2B's people thought this was going to be easier half to deal with (certainly not since still losing most away games), and since the Pens started rolling along before the deadline the league started the new monkey wrench into their plans not giving them usually called PP's. Last night was no different.

Now onto the deadline specifically, Brassard was a great add (not necessary if you ask me, Sheahan was just fine as the 3C, they needed a solid 4C). Since it has messed up all continuity within ranks (Injuries didn't help matters), but every line changed except one (HGH), all that was working wasn't working anymore. All over one guy. A guy that came in without one second of playing with anyone, but you disrupt the flow and chemistry of their next best line going in Guentzel, Sheahan and Kessel. The team has only gotten worse for it. Put Brassard where he'll be eased in on line 4 with a Simon, Sheary, Rust and so on, then mix him in lines 1 to 3 each game to get accustomed to playing with everyone as you go, double shifting him if need be.

What are they going to do with Sheahan now? He has certainly earned a good contract coming up. Paying anywhere near 3.0 a season for a 4C is ludicrous. This is a off-season matter.

Sid's season has been a very disappointing one, I just don't understand him anymore. I get saving yourself, points and awards may not mean as much to him now, but he has also cost the team in ways to why they are going to struggle these playoffs by not collecting the more important points, the standings. Kessel and Geno more than did their parts to help carry the team through good parts of this season. I don't think I can say the team was ever on his back this season more than just a tag along with spurts. The dude's in top shape, even with their schedule and all the other stuff, this team shouldn't be struggling that hard, not even on the road.

Last, Cole, a team never sends out a need (a much more needed one at that) when they are a serious contender. Never, never has it been done even while a player being a UFA. Like has been said, and not replaced.

This team has been talking the talk, talking about how bad their play has been even, they certainly haven't been backing up that talk. Player s specifically for those that this speaks too.

So this team could throw that proverbial switch, I haven't seen one instance where this team as a whole can do that. That's what it'll take to 3-peat.

"All in", is just an empty promise/thought/talk backed by words and not actions. Both by the players, coach and GM.

Maybe they believe it, maybe they believe they do have the depth, but why should we?

If they really did believe, Cole would still be a Pen, or a comparative replacement.

This is more of a "we'll take a pickle stab at it, but we are not going to bet the farm on it", look.

(Joe Pesci voice: "I'm sure you'll all be more than satisfied with just having these past two championships")

I am. Just don't try to smoke and mirror us.

We know the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->