Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Finnish Defenseman Juuso Riikola

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I thought they had letang listed at 6 even.

I was going for under 6 listed.

Well they “list” him at 6 foot but I’ve met him and that’s generous. They also list this kid at 6’0 too btw....

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Well they “list” him at 6 foot but I’ve met him and that’s generous. They also list this kid at 6’0 too btw....

Lmao the old fluffing of height and weight. They do, do that all the time, in all sports.

Regardless height isn't anything too important whats 2 or 3 inches honestly, 5'11 to 6'2 If the kid can skate circles around people.

Reactions: Andy99

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Watching highlight videos it looks like he can put the puck on the net with strength from anywhere. His actual defense could be a question mark but I like his offensive potential.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Absolutely no downside to this move. We're in desperate need of some depth defensemen, at minimum he should at least push some others.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Can he play his off side?
Hopefully, then we can match him with Maatta and call them the fantastic Finns

But seriously, if he's better than Hunwick then this is a positive. Get him over soon so he can have all summer to adjust to the rink size.

And for the love of all that is good and holy, can we not say that a 24 year old who's never played in the NHL is Letang's replacement?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
From my limited viewings, looks pretty mobile.
Thats half the battle nowadays.
See how she goes...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His footwork and first 3 steps are just... Awful. I really dont mind him as much as others. But you'd think footwork issues and initial burst could be worked on.

The fact that Deryk Engelland of all people has vastly improved his stride and speed, that someone with better hockey IQ and talent, would be able to do the same and Olli has no knee or hip or any leg issues at all so you can stand to reason that he just doesn't seem to be able to really fix something like that the way he can correct his shot or anything else.

From what I can see of Olli, his stride isn't bad, it just lacks any kind of power, that comes from his quads and he doesn't have any explosive first step or even third step when he gets into gear, he really has no gear. Well that's wrong. It's slow, and not too slow, then ok maybe we can call this average as his 3 gears.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From my limited viewings, looks pretty mobile.
Thats half the battle nowadays.
See how she goes...

You'd think so, but then Matt Hunwick exists and he's just an epic idiot with his mental game.

Like even Ruhwedel is a passable #7, Hunwick wasn't even passable as a #8.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Didnt know a single thing about this guy 2weeks ago. Now im a bit hyped, he was as good as Nutivaara in the Worlds, and could actually be better suited for NA rink than Europe. A rock solid d, very crisp tape-to-tape passes from own zone, can hit and has very good awarness around the net. Im really glad Pens signed him this quickly, since he really turned some heads in the tournament.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Didnt know a single thing about this guy 2weeks ago. Now im a bit hyped, he was as good as Nutivaara in the Worlds, and could actually be better suited for NA rink than Europe. A rock solid d, very crisp tape-to-tape passes from own zone, can hit and has very good awarness around the net. Im really glad Pens signed him this quickly, since he really turned some heads in the tournament.
Thanks for the info dude.

I like the signing and I still hope they sign that Russian UFA D as well.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Very underrated player, he could become NHL regullar, but alot of depends how much team wants to give looks for him. Some times as undrafted player, you gotta even have some luck in the start, because teams dont have patients.

Very strong player, physically good battle guy. Probably physically NHL readiest player that played FEL last year maybe with Savinainen but I think even readier than Savinainen.

Hard hits, strong in battle / body positition. Has good patients to make a good play, good skating. But not star caliber, I think could be high quality 3rd pairing D or even High Q 2pair.

He plays in my hometeam last 4 seasons, so Ive seen him quite alot. Last two seasons, I missed maybe 10 games and saw like 100. I think he can still take couple of more steps.

To his size, he has decent size for FEL. I think 5´11 is as stetch, downwards stretching. More like 6´0, he is over 180cm.

OT, but: What a great news for KalPa as a team, this season was 0,5M profit even before this, now its like 0,7 - 0,8M after we get the money from Riikola deal. Also last years we have got 3 other players NHL deal money, and KalPa U20 team just won FEL gold, so more young talent is still on pipeline to jump in FEL. Also Neigbhbor town team raised to Mestis lately, so young kids can be placed there too to develop. I smell FEL championship in future.

Last edited:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I could get behind rooting for cough drop.

Gotta love these signings, even if they don’t pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad