Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Evan Rodrigues to a 1-year contract, $700K

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Roddy rod was a solid bottom 6 player. He's like TK but good in a lesser role capacity. I like him as a 4c option. The issue was mostly the defense and the 3rd line. I think Blueger is the 3c we've always wanted and I wish people would stop wingeing about with it.

Blue is too good for most of you wankers.

Seriously man. I think hes super crafty and if you give him someone like Mccann, you'll see his playmaking skills. In his first season he played Cullen like minutes and did so well.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
wasn't he a healthy scratch against Canadiens, healthy scratched for bottom six that blew chunks all series long....i personally liked him way better than a few of those that played but whatever, Sully won't play him..I take this back, there will be so many injuries that everyone will get aturn

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I really wonder who on the coaching staff was so into Rodrigues in May, because obviously Sully wasn't (though he's kind of a Sully kind of player)?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I guess? But considering he couldn't even crack the lineup last year, why would you resign him after just signing another bottom 6 guy? Rather would have just saved the salary cap for a trade later.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I guess? But considering he couldn't even crack the lineup last year, why would you resign him after just signing another bottom 6 guy? Rather would have just saved the salary cap for a trade later.

Right? Like, if we were so into him then, why didn't we play him?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You don’t sign Rodrigues on day 1 of free agency. His agent probably thought it was a spam call when JR rang.

Plus, he’s even more ugly than Matt Murray.

Reactions: Rust17

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I really wonder who on the coaching staff was so into Rodrigues in May, because obviously Sully wasn't (though he's kind of a Sully kind of player)?

JR could also be making moves with the option that he could be replacing Sully mid season if this team doesnt improve in the areas we neeed to for playoff success. We have all new assistants now, its obvious Sully is on the hot seat. Especially with what JR gave up to get Zucker and Kapanen.

1. Our powerplay needs to be much better
2. More depth scoring. And i am not referring to our role players scoring when put into a top 6 role due to injuries like last season.
3. Our Defense being much better.

JR went out and got Matheson to for PH. We know hes all in. He wants to go out a winner. Matheson can add that extra scoring from our D that we didnt get since Schultz regressed.

No excuses for Sully now. He cant say McCann isnt a fit at Center. He cant say PH isnt a fit on 3RW. Cant point to JJ. Or Murray And so on lol.

No reason this team shouldnt be a top contender. Especially with Isles getting worse. Bruins getting worse. Canes still not getting a top goalie. Caps being even older. Leafs being the Leafs. And we will see with Tampa, but its safe to say their team wont be as deep as it was last year no matter what.

But we need to worry about getting past the first round first. Thats more on Sully than the players imo. We won it all with Scott Wilson, Kuhn, Rowney, etc being in our lineup.

We already messed up once thinking we needed a 3rd line filled with big names(trading for Brass). Alot our looking at our bottom 6 the same way as that season. I think they will be fine. A minor addition maybe instead of a major one.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Definitely. I'm just curious if the coaches who pushed so hard for Rodrigues were the ones who got fired, and if so, why wouldn't they play him? And why would we bring Rodrigues back on their say-so? :laugh: Something just doesn't add up.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Definitely. I'm just curious if the coaches who pushed so hard for Rodrigues were the ones who got fired, and if so, why wouldn't they play him? And why would we bring Rodrigues back on their say-so? :laugh: Something just doesn't add up.

Ha. With him its prob just the unknown factor. He still hasnt gotten great chances to succeed in the NHL but always did well in AHL. So with it being 700k instead of the 2mil he was getting? Im guessing they are just rolling the dice. Since hes also a Center and our other addition was Jankowski who is also an unknown still at this point.

And I still have that feeling we will be getting Bonino from the Wild during the season. As soon as Guerin made that trade , it seemed obvious it was for us lol. Also the fact that we didnt add a Haula, Turris, or another higher end Center in UFA even tho we did have the room?

We went with reclamation projects for cheap , knowing we will likely be adding Bones. Why else does Guerin trade for him? They arent competing this year. While their D is set, they dont have 1 legit line on offense. They added a bunch of players with 1 year left , seems to me they will be looking to flip all of them at the deadline. Getting more picks/prospects. While having another lottery pick and our first rounder.

Guerin looking to do what the Sens and Rangers did

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's a really good pick up at minimum. 2m was a rough pill to swallow.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR knows teams only play one third line and one fourth line, right?

He seems to think you play 5 lines of forwards after signing the warm bodies today. Why so many crappy forwards?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
At 700k, who the hell gives a rat's ass?

Tanev, Rodrigues, McCann, ZAR, Jankowski, Blueger, Poulin, Lafferty, Sceviour.

Enough bottom six, please. Most of these guys are 4th liners. JR has assembled a fifth line.

These contracts aren’t bad, but these guys are redundant.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Right? Like, if we were so into him then, why didn't we play him?

But yet he couldn’t even dress in the playoffs. He’s a great cheerleader from the press box. The boys could hear him on the ice.

Well, we all know no one from the BART line was going to get scratched (which... certainly has flaws). And I don't think the Pens are the kind of team to scratch veterans like Hornqvist or Marleau. That only left McCann to be scratched and I'm sure it was a toss-up between Lafferty and ERod as to who would play. In hindsight, ERod was the safer player but the team surprisingly didn't go with him.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad