Pens record is Misleading but the Metro is conclusive

PitPenguin

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh
Penguins record this year (obviously there is no Atlantic Division included here)

12-4-2 Western Conference
7-11-4 Metro Division

Clearly the Metro Division's Organizations have designed their teams around the Flyers model for neutralizing the Penguins.
This wasn't really an issue a couple years ago however now the playoffs run division by division so we only play Metro teams now... that's bad. :shakehead

I get they have flaws like no QB on the PP, Bad Contracts, No Farm, Sherosickle Trait, Injury Issues & Inconsistency from Star Players. But so do all the other NHL team.

I don't believe a rebuild is the answer but what do you think the solution is?
Personally maybe a change in philosophy from the top? i.e. management

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Maybe teams in the east are molded in an anti-Pens shape like you say and maybe the eastern refs are more corrupted towards talentless offensive teams or maybe it's just US being BETTER against an unprepared powerhouse against US.

Or also, a combination of these factors...

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
Maybe the pens get owned by their division, maybe the pens are just unlucky, maybe the pens step up against western teams, maybe Crosby eats PB&j before each game..,,honestly who cares.

I just want the pens to,succeed in the post season this year. We have seen for the past 3 years thats regular season doesn't mean jack ****. Who is to say the pens won't destroy the division come playoff time? No one knows until the time comes /closethread

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe the pens get owned by their division, maybe the pens are just unlucky, maybe the pens step up against western teams, maybe Crosby eats PB&j before each game..,,honestly who cares.

I just want the pens to,succeed in the post season this year. We have seen for the past 3 years thats regular season doesn't mean jack ****. Who is to say the pens won't destroy the division come playoff time? No one knows until the time comes /closethread

You're right, nobody knows. But we will most likely be playing one of the Caps, Isles or Rangers in the first round of the playoffs this year. We have a combined 2 wins and 9 losses against those teams. It doesn't guarantee we'd lose, but it is certainly a reason to be concerned.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Think about the following:

Against the high end Metro teams, every game is potentially a 4 point swing in standings.

The top Metro teams also see the Pens as one of the potential 1st 2 round opopponents. You want to focus on figuring them out, getting momentum, getting in their heads, abusing and wearing out the stars.

For the top western teams, that motivation isn't there.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
You're right, nobody knows. But we will most likely be playing one of the Caps, Isles or Rangers in the first round of the playoffs this year. We have a combined 2 wins and 9 losses against those teams. It doesn't guarantee we'd lose, but it is certainly a reason to be concerned.

Every year we go into the playoffs as "one of the teams to beat" and doesn't really work out for us.

I see the concern but if it was the other round would it mean anything going into the playoffs?

Master Shake*

This team will not beat any of the better eastern teams in the playoffs.

It would lose to any western team in the Finals

The only system that will give us a Cup would involve a heavy forecheck that punishes defensemen retrieving the puck in a corner.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
This team will not beat any of the better eastern teams in the playoffs.

It would lose to any western team in the Finals

The only system that will give us a Cup would involve a heavy forecheck that punishes defensemen retrieving the puck in a corner.

Isn't that what Bylsma ran?

Or tried to at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad