Confirmed with Link: Pens re-sign JS Dea to 1yr/650k contract

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Blynasty

Jun 14, 2017
Oh good lord, this article alluded to Rowney as our third line center. Please no.

If we lose Cullen and Bonino and replace them with Dea an Rowney going into the season, the Pens would challenge Montreal for the worst offseason this summer. I don't care if we won the cup, that's totally unacceptable.

The article also said we wouldn't need any help on the powerplay... Did we get a center for the 2nd PP unit that I am not aware of???

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
The article also said we wouldn't need any help on the powerplay... Did we get a center for the 2nd PP unit that I am not aware of???

Guentzel can center it.
Rust-Guentzel-Sheary
Letang and whichever other defenseman

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Jake will likely center the 2nd PP. Most faceoffs will be in the Ozone and if not, they can put Sid back on for any Dzone draws.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dea snag the 4C slot. They probably want guys like Blueger and Johnson playing in WBS, and this year is a sink or swim year for Dea. Rowney will be fine as a short term 3C fill in.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dea snag the 4C slot. They probably want guys like Blueger and Johnson playing in WBS, and this year is a sink or swim year for Dea. Rowney will be fine as a short term 3C fill in.

What makes you so sure Rowney will be fine? He's 28 years old that has played in less than 50 NHL games. Do you really want to hand the keys over to the third line to this guy?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
What makes you so sure Rowney will be fine? He's 28 years old that has played in less than 50 NHL games. Do you really want to hand the keys over to the third line to this guy?

1. Short term
2. The 3rd line will have very good wings.
3. He was solid in the playoffs

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
1. Short term

So you are basing this off a 20 game sample size? Are you not at all concerned about his 3 points during his solid playoffs? All three points came during ONE game against Ottawa when the Pens won 7-0. What specifically about his game did you like that you feel he will be a good regular third line center?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
1. Short term

Other than the fact that Rowney can't make a zone entry, can't finish a shot, and isn't great at face offs, I can't think of any reason he wouldn't be an excellent 3C for us

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So you are basing this off a 20 game sample size? Are you not at all concerned about his 3 points during his solid playoffs? All three points came during ONE game against Ottawa when the Pens won 7-0. What specifically about his game did you like that you feel he will be a good regular third line center?

Teams with far less surrounding talent have easily made the playoffs with bad 3c before....

Its the third line center guys... its a great thing to have an amazing one, but its not what makes or breaks a season... we literally have until the trade deadline to set the team... seeing what guys have is far from the worse idea early in the season

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Other than the fact that Rowney can't make a zone entry, can't finish a shot, and isn't great at face offs, I can't think of any reason he wouldn't be an excellent 3C for us

In other words, he's Nick Bonino last season?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In other words, he's Nick Bonino last season?

He's a less offensive, more physical Nick Bonino. If you want your center to hit more, and score less, Rowney's your guy. Unfortunately I rank my centers by how much they score, as does the NHL network apparently, and Bonino would have to rank higher than Rowney. I wasn't a Bonino fan and didn't want him back because I wanted better center, and Rowney does not fit that bill

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
No I am not concerned. Maybe you missed the part where I said temporary.

He's a less offensive, more physical Nick Bonino. If you want your center to hit more, and score less, Rowney's your guy. Unfortunately I rank my centers by how much they score, as does the NHL network apparently, and Bonino would have to rank higher than Rowney. I wasn't a Bonino fan and didn't want him back because I wanted better center, and Rowney does not fit that bill
I was just matching your hyperbole.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'm really not sold on Rowney even as just a 4th centre. I think he could fill in when injuries occur but I'm just not sure he's a regular NHLer. I'd try to get Fehr back, he always played better at centre than on the wing and shouldn't cost much to acquire.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Dea is not going to be better than any roster option we have for the 2nd PP unit this year, even if we get a bunch of injuries. The guy hasn't cracked 40 points in the minors.

If he wants to get his foot in the door with the big club, literally every other aspect of his game will be more important to his chances than the PP.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Dea is not going to be better than any roster option we have for the 2nd PP unit this year, even if we get a bunch of injuries. The guy hasn't cracked 40 points in the minors.

If he wants to get his foot in the door with the big club, literally every other aspect of his game will be more important to his chances than the PP.

It comes down to positional versatility, which Dea has. That alone gets him a shot at some point given our lack of C depth in the bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad