Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Rangers 4/8/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
not sure if you realize but you made my point for me? Where a specific player has been fouled that player takes the shot.
Also thats USA hockey and not the NHL rulebook, and while they are mostly the same, some differences (but not for this).

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Maybe I'm confused because of Oshie in the Olympics.
Im trying to remember the scenario with Oshie in the Olympics, all i remember about that is a post overtime shootout, and Oshie kept shooting, not a traditional penalty shot.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Not making excuses but I honestly think the vaccines may have had something to do with that. I got my first vaccine last week and felt like crap for a day.
I got vaccinated yesterday and feel like crap today. Could have something to do with it.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Im trying to remember the scenario with Oshie in the Olympics, all i remember about that is a post overtime shootout, and Oshie kept shooting, not a traditional penalty shot.

I know. Just wondered if that helped cloud my brain.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I know. Just wondered if that helped cloud my brain.
possibly.
If a player is hooked on the play and its a penalty shot, it must got to the player.
If a non goalie covers the puck with his glove, in the blue paint. its a team foul, so anyone can shoot it.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'd vote for Blackwell. A goal, a post, and vigorous forechecking.

the goal was set up by kakko. kakko was driving play and controlling play, blackwell has a shot. Kakko has the puck damn near glued to his stick.
He's looking like a monster whos getting some absolutely terrible puck luck, that'll correct itself in the future.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
the goal was set up by kakko. kakko was driving play and controlling play, blackwell has a shot. Kakko has the puck damn near glued to his stick.
He's looking like a monster whos getting some absolutely terrible puck luck, that'll correct itself in the future.

Not saying Kakko didn't play well. Just saying if I had a vote, I'd go Blackwell. Just an opinion.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If possession is the most important thing in metrics, which I assume is right, why isn't gaining possession on faceoffs important?

Well the shot based metrics are only a proxy to actual puck possession, yet that aside, even as bad as the Rangers are at face-offs Zbad won 342, lost 395, so he'd have to win like one more out of those per game to be 50%

Give that is overall face-offs, once we start to get more specific, Zbad in the D Zone, 116W and 155L, so again ~1 more, and he is 50%, and in the O zone 120W 141L.

Even more specific, and I tend to put these in the more important

PP in O zone he is 56 and 56. should be a little better given PP.

PK in the D zone 39 and 70, this to me is the area that needs the most improvement, yet part of winning a draw often also relies on his teammates and when down a man or more that becomes more difficult.

So while I do think face-offs play a part, and it would be better to win them than lose them, especially in certain situations, (any odd man situation) the percentages make the deficiency look worse than it actually is, yet we all remember the plays where a face-off loss leads to a quick goal.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
PK in the D zone 39 and 70, this to me is the area that needs the most improvement, yet part of winning a draw often also relies on his teammates and when down a man or more that becomes more difficult....

That makes sense to me in so far as not placing blame solely on the person taking an "unsuccessful" draw, but in the end, whichever team gains possession after a faceoff can only be a positive, right?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
One team converted on their opportunities and one team did not. Kravtsov looked really good though, which is encouraging.

I thought Pitt totally outplayed the Rangers. A couple of lucky breaks could have switched the outcome, but that's true for almost every game.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Chytil missed a wide open net. He should have at least 2 assists. Had the puck on a string.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That makes sense to me in so far as not placing blame solely on the person taking an "unsuccessful" draw, but in the end, whichever team gains possession after a faceoff can only be a positive, right?
Right, and that is sort of what I was saying, some face-offs are important, yet overall there are a lot of other things that usually sway the games towards win or loss. I agree them winning more would be great, yet I'd put that behind them not playing like they drank a keg of whiskey 9 hours prior to game time.

The clean wins in certain situation is where it leaves me wondering something to the effect of, he couldn't have at least tied up the stick?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I thought Pitt totally outplayed the Rangers. A couple of lucky breaks could have switched the outcome, but that's true for almost every game.

True but if Zib or Chytil don't miss wide open nets and if Kreider converts on that penalty shot and the outcome of the game is probably different.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Right, and that is sort of what I was saying, some face-offs are important, yet overall there are a lot of other things that usually sway the games towards win or loss. I agree them winning more would be great, yet I'd put that behind them not playing like they drank keg of whiskey 9 hours prior to game time.

The clean wins in certain situation is where it leaves me wondering something to the effect of, he couldn't have at least tied up the stick?

I always viewed taking draws as good hand-eye coordination and smarts, which makes me think Panarin might be good at it, but since that hasn't been part of his career. I'm probably wrong.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
True but if Zib or Chytil don't miss wide open nets and if Kreider converts on that penalty shot and the outcome of the game is probably different.

I'm sure there's a bunch of ifs in the other direction, but as fans we only see ours.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Awww...come on now...he has one great shift last night where he was mad and it led to guys being on their ass and a penalty shot....If he brought that 3-4 shifts a night this club loses a lot less games and a few more guys might follow in line . Blackwell the only guy that does his job consistently ...HUSTLES for his pay .

Kreider really needs to bring that element on a nighly basis. At least bring the two way work if the scoring is cold. I look at some of his shifts and think teams like Carolina or Colorado would not accept that.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad