Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Rangers 4/8/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The had to trade him or extend him and they chose to extend him. I really don't get the hate for the guy. He is streaky and disappears in some games but he still usually winds up with 25 goals a year and has 17 in 39 this year. Thats 35 goals over a full 82 game season. He also carried the team when Mika was playing like ass and Panarin was captured by the KGB.

I made the same joke, is that an homage or a coincidence?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Plenty of spots and the train is only speeding up !

139B70DD3EDBEF04DFACED909BDEAF42AF8A4480

Reactions: Ail and Tob

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The had to trade him or extend him and they chose to extend him. I really don't get the hate for the guy. He is streaky and disappears in some games but he still usually winds up with 25 goals a year and has 17 in 39 this year. Thats 35 goals over a full 82 game season. He also carried the team when Mika was playing like ass and Panarin was captured by the KGB.
I don't hate Kreider.

Nevertheless, the fact remains, we have these "top line skilled forwards":
-Panarin
-Kreider
-Buch
-Kakko
-Laf
-Kravtsov

Realistically, Kreider should be on the 3rd line, but are they putting him there now with 6,5? Are we expecting Kakko, Laf and Kravtsov all going to score big? And then how are we going to pay them?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We have straight up too many wingers. Six top-9 spots. Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtosv, Buchnevich, and you're probably stuck with Kreider. That's six right there with two quality players on your third line.

It's even worse on defense. Fox, Lindgren, and Lundkvist are probably in your top 4 long-term. You're stuck with Trouba on top of that. All of Miller, Robertson, Jones, and Reunanen are going for one spot. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a quality third pair, but you have to think we end up with at least one guy who's top-4 and will never get a chance yet, or -if things really go well- a young NHL defenseman just sitting in the press box. Plus, honestly, Trouba and a whatever free agent is fine as a third pair.

The center situation is absolutely dire. Zibanejad should not get another contract from this team. Strome's next contract is probably going to be more than he's worth. I'm not saying don't, but it's something to think about. Chytil is Chytil. And that's it. That's all you can bank on as far as guys who will be NHL centers.

Not only does a trade make sense, but we're almost forced to, or we'll be doing this for a long time wasting the prime years of our young wingers and D.

I appreciate the patience the team has shown and I understand why, but it's time to shit or get off the pot. By next deadline they need to decide who they're going to battle with and start making moves towards a contender in 22-23. Maybe not a Cup contender, per se, just yet but a team that's supposed to get to the playoffs and take it seriously.

Last edited:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Underrated is the fact that Quinn got to assemble his staff of equally green assistants. The Rangers meeting the emission targets for the Paris agreement for the whole of the United States.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We have straight up too many wingers. Six top-9 spots. Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtosv, Buchnevich, and you're probably stuck with Kreider. That's six right there with two quality players on your third line.

It's even worse on defense. Fox, Lindgren, and Lundkvist are probably in your top 4 long-term. You're stuck with Trouba on top of that. All of Miller, Robertson, Jones, and Reunanen are going for one spot. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a quality third pair, but you have to think we end up with at least one guy who's top-4 and will never get a chance yet, or -if things really go well- a young NHL defenseman just sitting in the press box. Plus, honestly, Trouba and a whatever free agent is fine as a third pair.

The center situation is absolutely dire. Zibanejad should not get another contract from this team. Strome's next contract is probably going to be more than he's worth. I'm not saying don't, but it's something to think about. Chytil is Chytil. And that's it. That's all you can bank on as far as guys who will be NHL centers.

Not only does a trade make sense, but we're almost forced to, or we'll be doing this for a long term wasting the prime years of our young wingers and D.

I appreciate the patience the team has shown and I understand why, but it's time to shit or get off the pot. By next deadline they need to decide who they're going to battle with and start making moves towards a contender in 22-23. Maybe not a Cup contender, per se, just yet but a team that's supposed to get to the playoffs and take it seriously.
You did a better way of putting it than I did.

Laf came to us like a surprise pregnancy, but many of us still questioned that Kreider contract when it was signed. So far, it has aged worse than milk. Not only is he not playing up to his contract (not even close), but it's ruining our team construction for years.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Not only does a trade make sense, but we're almost forced to, or we'll be doing this for a long term wasting the prime years of our young wingers and D.

They will def look to upgrade center through the draft and trades. I still think Eichel is a real possibility this off season.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
While I do not totally disagree,

Maybe if the Rangers centers tried to win the face-offs they'd be better at it?

I've seen barely less effort from my dog trying to pick up his own poop.
Yeah, I mean, I just don't know. It certainly looks that way, but that's a pretty serious allegation.

I am curious though, I do understand how people interpret the analytics regarding faceoffs. But for those that think it's literally meaningless, at what point does it start to take on some meaning? The Rangers are at 44%, 2% worse than the 30th ranked team. They've also had several games tied late off of lost defensive zone faceoffs.

This is an area that absolutely must be improved.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You did a better way of putting it than I did.

Laf came to us like a surprise pregnancy, but many of us still questioned that Kreider contract when it was signed. So far, it has aged worse than milk. Not only is he not playing up to his contract (not even close), but it's ruining our team construction for years.
I think they should focus on speed with acquisitions. I've mentioned it before -- the forward group is too slow.

Maybe something like this:

Panarin-(let's just say)Strome-a speedy forechecking winger
Lafreniere-A 1B center with speed-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Kravtsov
Who -The Hell-Cares

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Lundkvist
Robertson-Trouba

Igor

And the capital you have assuming this lineup would include: Zibanejad at the deadline, Buchnevich, Jones, Gauthier, Barron, Pajuniemi. Now, any of these guys could very well factor in but that's just an example.

I don't think the center acquisition necessarily needs to be a star. Unless it's Eichel, teams just don't trade star centers. I think Cirelli between Lafreniere and Kakko would absolutely bang, although I don't know why he would ever be available. That's going to be our challenge with acquiring a center. But there has to be somebody available who fits our needs. Maybe you take a chance and go young for young. Get a center who's knocking on the door of the NHL like Lundkvist is or like Kravtsov was.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, I mean, I just don't know. It certainly looks that way, but that's a pretty serious allegation.

I am curious though, I do understand how people interpret the analytics regarding faceoffs. But for those that think it's literally meaningless, at what point does it start to take on some meaning? The Rangers are at 44%, 2% worse than the 30th ranked team. They've also had several games tied late off of lost defensive zone faceoffs.

This is an area that absolutely must be improved.
I think it would be meaningless if our centers were great at even strength. Big no on that one. Zibanejad sucks 5v5, Chytil is ok, and Strome only drives play offensively.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

Not only does a trade make sense, but we're almost forced to, or we'll be doing this for a long time wasting the prime years of our young wingers and D.

All those and Schneider too, totally agree that D is a logjam even more than the forwards. We need to call the Beachcombers...

Really excited for this Schneider kid.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All those and Schneider too, totally agree that D is a logjam even more than the forwards. We need to call the Beachcombers...

Really excited for this Schneider kid.
I think Schneider is a guy you hang onto for now and if he beats out Trouba, you cross that bridge. I don't see him being in an urgent "play him or move him" scenario for awhile. Same goes for Cuylle. That's why I left them out.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think they should focus on speed with acquisitions. I've mentioned it before -- the forward group is too slow.

Maybe something like this:

Panarin-(let's just say)Strome-a speedy forechecking winger
Lafreniere-A 1B center with speed-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Kravtsov
Who -The Hell-Cares

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Lundkvist
Robertson-Trouba

Igor

And the capital you have assuming this lineup would include: Zibanejad at the deadline, Buchnevich, Jones, Gauthier, Barron, Pajuniemi. Now, any of these guys could very well factor in but that's just an example.

I don't think the center acquisition necessarily needs to be a star. Unless it's Eichel, teams just don't trade star centers. I think Cirelli between Lafreniere and Kakko would absolutely bang, although I don't know why he would ever be available. That's going to be our challenge with acquiring a center. But there has to be somebody available who fits our needs. Maybe you take a chance and go young for young. Get a center who's knocking on the door of the NHL like Lundkvist is or like Kravtsov was.
I like the way you think.

Kakko and Laf will get fast enough, when they train on it. But I think it still depends more on that blueline, can they all play the puck well, move it fast, skate it fast. Trouba is what it is, but guys like Fox, Miller and Lundkvist should be the anwser. Those guys, when in their prime, need to be able to move the puck out of their own zone by themselves if neccessary, and joind the cycle. That's the way I think it goes. So far, Fox can do it, and can do it great. Rest of the guys? I mean it was pretty sad to see the kids line trying to cycle the puck between 3 of them, and Smith and Hajek just didnt give them any help.

Reactions: CLW and Machinehead

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I think Schneider is a guy you hang onto for now and if he beats out Trouba, you cross that bridge. I don't see him being in an urgent "play him or move him" scenario for awhile. Same goes for Cuylle. That's why I left them out.

It was just one of those things where I was thinking of all these kids just the other day, then - even with what you listed I was like "holy shit..." then it hit me that that wasn't even all of them...

Good spot to be in that's for sure.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Where do you see Berard in a few years?
I think the sky's the limit in terms of ceiling, but he was just about as young as you can possibly be and still be draft eligible. He's *still* 18!

Very exciting prospect but one where it's impossible to make any kind of determination.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad