Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Rangers 4/6/21

3 Stars

• Total voters

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Happy for the win, but let's not pretend it was a good game.

One team shit the bed defensively the other team took advantage.

But to be happy about giving up 40+ and 4+ because we scored 8 seems off to me.

I'm not gonna harp on it, but I'm not going to ignore it either
Wow, why cant you just enjoy it? Were they perfect? No. But no one can tell me the intensity, nor the "paying attention to detail" is at full display defensively, when "goals were to be had" by a VERY HUNGRY, VERY YOUNG team. They hung Shesty out to dry, quite a bit.....but man, if we're (YOU) are going to nitpick, then how are Pens fans feeling right about now. Cant be thrilled giving up 15 in 2.

Reactions: barry allen

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yea, I hear ya. I want to see the team play well as much as anybody (I'm the last person who thinks the tank for picks BS works). That said, I still don't think they do anything of significance in the playoffs with DQ as the coach. Everything I'm seeing screams that it's time to hand the baton to someone NHL quality who can turn this highly, highly talented squad into a highly talented winner. The Rangers have failed to win 50% of their hockey games so far this year... they are not winners. And in games they are about to be winners for at least a night they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory way too often.

As I pointed out elsewhere, what were your expectations before the season, compared to where they are?

Toss in Zib's Covid disappearance, Shesty getting hurt and no more TDA. With those things in mind, no way I would have expected them in the playoffs.

Knowing these things before the season would have told you that the lottery was more likely than playoffs, I think.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The problem I have with this thinking is that if they win Thursday, you'll probably say the exact same thing about the game after that, and so on.
Let’s talk a little blue sky. Three tough games this week against Pens and Isles. Win 2 and then the Rangers have eight of their next nine against the Devils, Flyers and Sabres. That tells me the Rangers have a punchers chance to make a run.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Win 8-4 against an upper echelon team, but still being able to feel negative.

A joyous existence.
I just used my 1st "ignore" in like 3 years. He deserves congradulations for breaking my streak. I critique some of my own posts, but this kind of stuff has NO RIGHT being placed into my head, when I am feeling thrilled that we just put a beatdown on one of my favorite teams to despise.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I believe in miracles and wish for the best. But as a betting man, I wouldn't take 2o-1 odds they makes the playoffs. Their odds of making the playoffs are even higher than that.

But even if we don't make the playoffs, my hope is, we are alive until the last week of the season. That by all accounts would be a successful season in this crazy year of COVID. And besides,... even if we did make the playoffs, how far do you think we would go? Getting swept by the Canes has shaken my confidence this team is playoff material at this time.

So let's root for the kid's progression and keeping up our strong defensive effort, to win as many games left as we can. For the future of this team looks awfully bright.
So then, the next step is winning a few games, or maybe even a round. ANY PO games (and anymore PO games, for some) will pose as good foundation for the years to come. I think thats how it works.
Do you think Shesty wouldnt grow from it? And many others?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Mika?
The entire PP unit which is filled with vets?
Our forward 5v5 effort or where vets play 50minutes a game?

yes... kids is why we struggle. Fox, KAM and Lindgren is why we struggle on defense. The 8-12 minutes of the kid line is why we struggle with consistency.

you're lost. Complaining all day. Miserable and snarky during a win. You've been pointing fingers and accusing others, with what you're actually doing. You've been projecting all day.

Mika has been just fine since getting over Covid. Kreider's a given. His whole career has been like this.

The power play is a totally different issue.

Try again. Name some inconsistent vets, this season, other than Kreider.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lots to like....and a lot not to like in that game .It was very sloppy performance against a Malkinless Penguin club . Team defense terrible...team speed as somebody mentioned the other day also lacking . Penguins beat us to a lot of pucks via speed and extra effort/hustle/tenacity . Poor Smith....Crosby thought thought process about 3 seconds ahead of Smith LOL....referring to that behind the net maneuver by Smith . It was funny though....
Crosby knew what he was going to do before Smitty did. Thank God it didnt cost us. At that time, that EXTRA goal, could have really propelled them, only being down 2.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Let’s talk a little blue sky. Three tough games this week against Pens and Isles. Win 2 and then the Rangers have eight of their next nine against the Devils, Flyers and Sabres. That tells me the Rangers have a punchers chance to make a run.

Of course they have a chance, even if it's slim. I'm just baffled at the fans who express anger and frustration when they put up 8 against Pitt.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think its more about looking at the game honestly.

Our goalie stole it and theirs gave it away.
Why is it that when we are sufficient on offense, that we always discredit "their" goaltending? Why cant we just say we played well offensively? Its not difficult. Trust me.

Shesty played well (despite 4) BUT, regardless of shot total, I dont feel like he "stood on his head".
Must have been a different game I was watching.

Or, I just dont feel the need to state that Shesty is the best thing since, sliced breadman. Oops, I mean, sliced bread.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Of course they have a chance, even if it's slim. I'm just baffled at the fans who express anger and frustration when they put up 8 against Pitt.
I’m with you on that. Fans here have been screaming for offense for years and now we have one of the best offensive teams in the NHL and people still find things to bitch about. This team is coming. It may not make the playoffs but I’ll bet anyone that the next month is going to be pretty interesting.

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
It's easy to get mesmerized by the offensive talent on this roster. Right now, most of our wins are by blowout or in tight games to lesser teams. We do not yet have the fortitude physicality, balance and depth to consistently win tight games against better teams. When we win, we win on pure talent.

Next year the depth on D should come together with Robertson, Schneider and Lundkvist arriving. Hopefully, we also have a top 6 sorted out by end of next season.

Right now, the forward group is definitely in flux. Our center situation is very much up in the air between Zib and Strome contracts, not yet knowing what Chytil will be and having literally no one behind those 3. In addition, we've got too many wingers who project to be top 6 on the NHL roster. So, our bottom 6 is not constructed in the way a contender might structure their bottom 6.

There's a long way to go before we are contending and consistent. We are essentially in the assessment phase of the rebuild where players are starting to break into the lineup and it's going to take time to see which ones rise to the top. In some ways, this is the hardest part of the process to be patient with. Because every time you have a game like last night, it's shortly followed by a frustrating game where they're not playing up to the level they're capable of.

The good news is (knock on wood) we're not seeing players regressing into bad habits like they were in Buffalo. We're seeing progression, even in small ways from everyone including Gauthier. I mean, even Howden who has regressed offensively never gives up on a play and when he does play is defensively solid.

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Why is it that when we are sufficient on offense, that we always discredit "their" goaltending? Why cant we just say we played well offensively? Its not difficult. Trust me.

Shesty played well (despite 4) BUT, regardless of shot total, I dont feel like he "stood on his head".
Must have been a different game I was watching.

Or, I just dont feel the need to state that Shesty is the best thing since, sliced breadman. Oops, I mean, sliced bread.

It's because lots of fans think their team wins or loses based on only their team.

They tend to ignore that the other team has an impact on the result.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's easy to get mesmerized by the offensive talent on this roster. Right now, most of our wins are by blowout or in tight games to lesser teams. We do not yet have the fortitude physicality, balance and depth to consistently win tight games against better teams. When we win, we win on pure talent.

Next year the depth on D should come together with Robertson, Schneider and Lundkvist arriving. Hopefully, we also have a top 6 sorted out by end of next season.

Right now, the forward group is definitely in flux. Our center situation is very much up in the air between Zib and Strome contracts, not yet knowing what Chytil will be and having literally no one behind those 3. In addition, we've got too many wingers who project to be top 6 on the NHL roster. So, our bottom 6 is not constructed in the way a contender might structure their bottom 6.

There's a long way to go before we are contending and consistent. We are essentially in the assessment phase of the rebuild where players are starting to break into the lineup and it's going to take time to see which ones rise to the top. In some ways, this is the hardest part of the process to be patient with. Because every time you have a game like last night, it's shortly followed by a frustrating game where they're not playing up to the level they're capable of.

The good news is (knock on wood) we're not seeing players regressing into bad habits like they were in Buffalo. We're seeing progression, even in small ways from everyone including Gauthier. I mean, even Howden who has regressed offensively never gives up on a play and when he does play is defensively solid.

Just replacing Smith and Hajek with NHL-quality dmen makes this team vastly better. Hopefully, next season.

Reactions: bobbop

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's because lots of fans think their team wins or loses based on only their team.

They tend to ignore that the other team has an impact on the result.

Edit:

For example, if Zib undresses a D and scores we rave about how great that was.

If Crosby does the same to Smith, Smith sucks is the mantra. Zero credit to Crosby.

Reactions: egelband

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Just replacing Smith and Hajek with NHL-quality dmen makes this team vastly better. Hopefully, next season.

Yup. But even imagine just removing Smith and putting Hajek with a SMART defender like Lundkvist or Schneider. I'm not a huge fan of Hajek but I think he'd be fine as a #6 if paired with a smart player who isn't running around all the time. B Smith seems like a really nice dude. Stand up guy. But his playing style often resembles beer league.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Wow, why cant you just enjoy it? Were they perfect? No. But no one can tell me the intensity, nor the "paying attention to detail" is at full display defensively, when "goals were to be had" by a VERY HUNGRY, VERY YOUNG team. They hung Shesty out to dry, quite a bit.....but man, if we're (YOU) are going to nitpick, then how are Pens fans feeling right about now. Cant be thrilled giving up 15 in 2.

I am enjoying it. Any time you can put up a snowman on Pitt is a good day.

That said, prior to last night, we have played Pitt how many times and have had how many leads and have how many wins?

01/22 - Led Pitt 3-2 going into 3rd. Lost game in SO 4-3
01/24 - Led Pitt 2-1 going into 3rd. Lost game in regulation 3-2
01/30 - Led Pitt 4-3 going into 3rd. Lost game in OT 5-4
02/01 - Beat Pitt 3-1 after falling behind 1-0 after 1st.
03/07 - Lost to Pitt 5-1
03/09 - Lost to Pitt 4-2
04/06 - Beat Pitt 8-4

Answer - 6 times, three leads and one win

forgive me if I don't buy into the team not paying attention to detail when this team had one win against Pitt all season and have seen leads evaporate pretty quickly.

I'm happy when they play well and win/lose. I'm not happy when they play like shit and Lose, nor am I happy with when they give up 40+ and 4 goals.

Any other night, that's a L

NYR was almost out-shot 2-1 for the game.

That's a win to take and burn the tape.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Edit:

For example, if Zib undresses a D and scores we rave about how great that was.

If Crosby does the same to Smith, Smith sucks is the mantra. Zero credit to Crosby.

I think part of it is that Crosby's skill is a given. The fans then project that Smith should know/react accordingly and take in to account the skill gap between him and Crosby and instantly shore up any deficiencies that Crosby could exploit. When that doesn't happen, Smith sucks and it's obvious that was going to happen because of how bad he is.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Hajek is NHL quality. The vitriol leveled at this guy is ridiculous. He is doing a hell of a job being saddled with the train wreck that is Brendan Smith.

Reactions: Cmox

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yup. But even imagine just removing Smith and putting Hajek with a SMART defender like Lundkvist or Schneider. I'm not a huge fan of Hajek but I think he'd be fine as a #6 if paired with a smart player who isn't running around all the time. B Smith seems like a really nice dude. Stand up guy. But his playing style often resembles beer league.

According to Mr. Metric, Hajek has been worse than Smith.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Hajek is NHL quality. The vitriol leveled at this guy is ridiculous. He is doing a hell of a job being saddled with the train wreck that is Brendan Smith.

Take it up with Machinehead. He says the metrics make Hajek notably worse than Smith.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
HF NYR before the first game of the season: We have a big game coming up bois

Lurkers: kewl kewl, which one?

HRNYR: YES

Reactions: chosen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad