Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Rangers 4/6/21

3 Stars

• Total voters

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Lots to like....and a lot not to like in that game .It was very sloppy performance against a Malkinless Penguin club . Team defense terrible...team speed as somebody mentioned the other day also lacking . Penguins beat us to a lot of pucks via speed and extra effort/hustle/tenacity . Poor Smith....Crosby thought thought process about 3 seconds ahead of Smith LOL....referring to that behind the net maneuver by Smith . It was funny though....
that was hysterical. Smith was like, "he'll never expect this" and then ...

Rangers are too clever sometimes.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I totally disagree, especially about their goalie.

I didn't see the stats, but I thought the Rangers had an awful lot of high quality chances.

I thought Shesterkin was good, but not great.
Per Natural Stat Trick, xG% was 63/37 for Pittsburgh at evens. Not clear how much was score effects - the Rangers did not appear to turtle.

Three goals on the power play is a big help.

Our goalie was definitely better. Neither team played with a lot of defensive structure to my eye. Maybe it was that we had the lead the whole time, Pittsburgh had to go for it, and we don't have the ability to shut them down.

Entertaining game. I wonder what happens on Thursday.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Aye im prob top 5 most vocal quinn haters on this website, but if he actually does give Laf and Kak ~14 mins a night with actual chances to succeed I won’t speak another bad word about the man

have you looked up their actual avg toi this season?

You can start by changing your username lol

seriously though

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Rangers have flown up the G/GP list to 6th since Quinn went out for a couple weeks. 49 scored in the last 11 games played. 7-3-1 in that span. (should easily be at least 8-2-1). 8th in goal differential in the league.

I have no doubt in my mind in a full season with a normal schedule that they are a playoff team. Even with their propensity to throw games and points in the garbage in the final minutes. They'd be more than cruising in a full season if they cleaned that up, they'd be challenging for 2nd fiddle in the conference to Tampa.

Don't know what is better long term; missing the playoffs and having it serve as a wakeup call to the team and management OR making a mad dash at the end to catch Boston. They are rarely, if ever, out of a game but they'll never win jack letting the games slip away that they do. If you thought AV's playoff squads blowing leads was frustrating... hoo boy. Wait until this squad faces a team like Pitt in the playoffs in desperation time.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Rangers have flown up the G/GP list to 6th since Quinn went out for a couple weeks. 49 scored in the last 11 games played. 7-3-1 in that span. (should easily be at least 8-2-1). 8th in goal differential in the league.

I have no doubt in my mind in a full season with a normal schedule that they are a playoff team. Even with their propensity to throw games and points in the garbage in the final minutes. They'd be more than cruising in a full season if they cleaned that up, they'd be challenging for 2nd fiddle in the conference to Tampa.

Don't know what is better long term; missing the playoffs and having it serve as a wakeup call to the team and management OR making a mad dash at the end to catch Boston. They are rarely, if ever, out of a game but they'll never win jack letting the games slip away that they do. If you thought AV's playoff squads blowing leads was frustrating... hoo boy. Wait until this squad faces a team like Pitt in the playoffs in desperation time.

No way to be certain how the Rangers might perform in the playoffs, but considering where they are now and what would have to have taken place to get there, I'd take my chances.

There's certainly no downside whatsover to getting playoff feel to all of the youth on the team.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I hope we go on a run and really get into the thick of the playoff race. It will be good for the kids regardless of the outcome.

personally i wouldnt do much at the TD if i was gorton.

Basically just stand pat. Unless other teams want to give up 2-4 round picks for smith or 4th liners. Then i would listen.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Win 8-4 against an upper echelon team, but still being able to feel negative.

A joyous existence.

Happy for the win, but let's not pretend it was a good game.

One team shit the bed defensively the other team took advantage.

But to be happy about giving up 40+ and 4+ because we scored 8 seems off to me.

I'm not gonna harp on it, but I'm not going to ignore it either

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Ah yes the classic conundrum: Who is more annoying, the people complaining or the people complaining about people complaining?

the world may never know

One group is mired in perpetual whining mode from the 1st game of the season to the last.

That doesn't sound like enjoying the sport, to me.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Happy for the win, but let's not pretend it was a good game.

One team shit the bed defensively the other team took advantage.

But to be happy about giving up 40+ and 4+ because we scored 8 seems off to me.

I'm not gonna harp on it, but I'm not going to ignore it either

It was fun, but it was definitely not their best game. Stats aside, it is a bit hard to parse out how much of the performance was due to game situation / score.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
No way to be certain how the Rangers might perform in the playoffs, but considering where they are now and what would have to have taken place to get there, I'd take my chances.

There's certainly no downside whatsover to getting playoff feel to all of the youth on the team.

Yea, I hear ya. I want to see the team play well as much as anybody (I'm the last person who thinks the tank for picks BS works). That said, I still don't think they do anything of significance in the playoffs with DQ as the coach. Everything I'm seeing screams that it's time to hand the baton to someone NHL quality who can turn this highly, highly talented squad into a highly talented winner. The Rangers have failed to win 50% of their hockey games so far this year... they are not winners. And in games they are about to be winners for at least a night they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory way too often.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Can't wait to see everyone's reactions if the Penguins or Isles beat them this week. It will be back to this team sucks.

No, it will be Quinn sucks, like in every other thread.

Fans often pick individual players to complain about, but the bulk of complaints go against the coach on just about every team's board here.

For the most part, fans hate their coach, whomever he is.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Igor made sure this was a blowout. We could have easily lost 9-8.
You guys realize that goalies make saves sometimes. He had very few tough saves and even less second chance saves. He played well in the first period, but the Pens were shooting from everywhere. We were the better team and the score showed that.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Quinn knew exactly what he was doing with the lines.
I don't see that. We scored 4 ES goals; a lucky one (Blackwell), Buch's goal which was a mish mash from Bread and Fil, Zib when Buch walked around Crosby and Laf where the kids worked during a long shift to tuck one in. Point is outside of the Zib goal which was scored by a line that has been in tact, the line combos didn't create much. No ES goals for Strome line and one each for the other two. Blackwell doesn't belong in the top 6.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Which vets besides Kreider?
Mika?
The entire PP unit which is filled with vets?
Our forward 5v5 effort or where vets play 50minutes a game?

yes... kids is why we struggle. Fox, KAM and Lindgren is why we struggle on defense. The 8-12 minutes of the kid line is why we struggle with consistency.

you're lost. Complaining all day. Miserable and snarky during a win. You've been pointing fingers and accusing others, with what you're actually doing. You've been projecting all day.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Panarin makes me gay... Fox too

Will Shesty ever get an easy one?

Shooting and going to the middle of the ice works.

We were sloppy but I'll take it. IF we beat Pittsburgh in regulation next game, they're technically just as close as Boston. I'd love for a Pitt implosion
Would LOVE that even more than a Boston implosion, BUT I think Boston has a better shot at getting bombed. (My apologies to the families that lost a loved one in the Marathon. Genuinely NO pun intended.) Either one will do, though.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The goal given up by the kid line after the icing is on Q
I was screaming take a timeout

Miller Trouba were awful

Krav is a beast
Hope he models his game after kreids(minus the inconsistency) ;)

Fox IS our best player
Thank you very much. I thought I was the ONLY ONE, doing that. Quinn is an idiot sometimes. What was he saving the TO for? Went home without using it. Good job.

Was he trying to teach them a lesson? Trying to PUSH NHL stamina? Laugh in the face of adversity? Yeah, good coaching there.

Edit. Oh shit, forgot he couldnt call a TO. Still was fun to blame Quinn, but now I feel a little bit more like Quinn.

Last edited:

Squarp

Ranger for Life
Feb 19, 2012
Thank you very much. I thought I was the ONLY ONE, doing that. Quinn is an idiot sometimes. What was he saving the TO for? Went home without using it. Good job.

Was he trying to teach them a lesson? Trying to PUSH NHL stamina? Laugh in the face of adversity? Yeah, good coaching there.
You can't take a timeout after an icing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad