Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Rangers 4/6/21

3 Stars

• Total voters

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I am enjoying it. Any time you can put up a snowman on Pitt is a good day.

That said, prior to last night, we have played Pitt how many times and have had how many leads and have how many wins?

01/22 - Led Pitt 3-2 going into 3rd. Lost game in SO 4-3
01/24 - Led Pitt 2-1 going into 3rd. Lost game in regulation 3-2
01/30 - Led Pitt 4-3 going into 3rd. Lost game in OT 5-4
02/01 - Beat Pitt 3-1 after falling behind 1-0 after 1st.
03/07 - Lost to Pitt 5-1
03/09 - Lost to Pitt 4-2
04/06 - Beat Pitt 8-4

Answer - 6 times, three leads and one win

forgive me if I don't buy into the team not paying attention to detail when this team had one win against Pitt all season and have seen leads evaporate pretty quickly.

I'm happy when they play well and win/lose. I'm not happy when they play like shit and Lose, nor am I happy with when they give up 40+ and 4 goals.

Any other night, that's a L

NYR was almost out-shot 2-1 for the game.

That's a win to take and burn the tape.

There have been games that point to a Rangers victory. Those things tend to even out over time.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Take it up with Machinehead. He says the metrics make Hajek notably worse than Smith.

That's certainly quite possible, but Smith is usually the one who is caught way out of position. Whereas Hajek tends to do far less running around. I think if I were bringing in another rookie next year I'd rather them pair with Hajek over Smith. The safer bet is to go with the vet but Smith is just not a reliable partner for a vet. Far too erratic. That's what the rookie's supposed to be.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That's certainly quite possible, but Smith is usually the one who is caught way out of position. Whereas Hajek tends to do far less running around. I think if I were bringing in another rookie next year I'd rather them pair with Hajek over Smith. The safer bet is to go with the vet but Smith is just not a reliable partner for a vet. Far too erratic. That's what the rookie's supposed to be.

I'm hopeful neither is here next year. Hajek has always struck me as a Dman who makes plays that could turn into opposition goals a couple times a game.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know we joke about Sam and Joe and their shenanigans, and Sam with his missed calls, and Joe’s comments, but I just laugh and move on, dude is a legend. Joe gets a lot of criticism for some of his comments but he is not annoying to me.

I think these two guys are enjoyable, they try and tune down the homer-ism, and will give a lot of props to teams that the Rangers are playing. Joe made a comment that 4 goals may not be enough against this Pittsburgh team, he was right on the money, needed 5 goals to win this one.

I’ve listened to other broadcasts, forced to on NHL center ice, teams like Boston and Colorado are brutal and total homers. Colorado broadcast basically said during an Anaheim game, it’s a waste of time to play against this team or not worth their time, Ducks won that game. Lol.

I mean I really think we don’t appreciate what we have with Sam who is towards the end of his career and who I met in person many times, and is a class act. So we can have the laughs make some jabs but at the end of the day, happy we have these guys.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
anyone notice Letang board the shit out of someone (might have been Blackwell?) right before he sprung Rodriguez for that breakaway that ended up going off the post?

That's the kind of shit reffing I find infuriating.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I tend to agree that Smith is worse than Hajek

Couple examples from this game

:11
:53

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Just replacing Smith and Hajek with NHL-quality dmen makes this team vastly better. Hopefully, next season.
Wow man, respect ya' bunches but.....guving up on Hayek? I'm not. I see LOTS of improvement, that confident move he made passing to himself THROUGH a Pens players legs was quite the move (albeit risky) not many would have tried that.
As much as I have supported Smitty for his "gritty", he must be difficult to play along side of.
We might have better coming up soon, but I ain't throwing this kid out for a bag of pucks. Just may be one of those dmen that NEED those 4-6 years before he bets to be a final NHL product dman.
Give him a reliable Foxy or even Trouba and he just may flourish. Needs more PT and confidence, but on his way there.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Top-9F really had one dope f***in’ night lol

playerUsage-2020020613-NYR.png

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
At one point this year, Hájek was a healthy scratch in the Czech Extraliga. Make of it what you will...
I make nothing of that. I am watching him play now and he is making a ton of effective, smart plays.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I'm hopeful neither is here next year. Hajek has always struck me as a Dman who makes plays that could turn into opposition goals a couple times a game.
He may have struck you that way, but he is not playing that way and he is doing good things in the O zone when the opportunity presents itself.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I like Hajek so far, Smith hasn't helped him any. Smith has turned into this years version of Staal where he extends the oppositions time in our end by fumbling the puck.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Mika has been just fine since getting over Covid. Kreider's a given. His whole career has been like this.

The power play is a totally different issue.

Try again. Name some inconsistent vets, this season, other than Kreider.

So the team is struggling with a consistency issue because of a kid line that gets 8-12 minutes? right.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
So the team is struggling with a consistency issue because of a kid line that gets 8-12 minutes? right.

You just moved the goal posts, when challenged to name some inconsistent veterans.

They are the youngest team in the league. Their roster is in the middle of a major transition and a team doesn't go to greatness that quickly.

At least half of NHL teams,, and probably way more than that, would fit your description of inconsistency throughout their respective rosters.

The reason they are where they are is no Zib for half the season, no TDA at all, and Shesty missing games.

Yet, they still are performing about where everyone thought they would.

I'll put it to you another way. Which Rangers are vastly underperforming? It sure ain't many.

I think they are outperforming their circumstances.

Reactions: Larrybiv

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
The metrics are on my side and pretty decisively.
if you are watching, you wouldn't rely on the metrics so heavily. Smith is a nightmare and he is dragging Hajek's numbers down. It is clear (from watching) that Smith is getting caught up ice, creating odd man rushes against, is fumbling the puck and making bad decisions regularly. But, whatever.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You just moved the goal posts, when challenged to name some inconsistent veterans.

They are the youngest team in the league. Their roster is in the middle of a major transition and a team doesn't go to greatness that quickly.

At least half of NHL teams,, and probably way more than that, would fit your description of inconsistency throughout their respective rosters.

The reason they are where they are is no Zib for half the season, no TDA at all, and Shesty missing games.

Yet, they still are performing about where everyone thought they would.

I'll put it to you another way. Which Rangers are vastly underperforming? It sure ain't many.

I think they are outperforming their circumstances.
Mika
Kreider
Strome and Buch had a ridiculous March, before that they were inconsistent and/or flat
Our entire PP has been inconsistent the entire season. VETS MAKE UP THE UNIT.
Our bottom6 journeymen have been inconsistent
Brendan Smith?
We've come out flat A LOT of games.. Coaching and Vets? or kids?
Offensive gameplan? youth fault?
Georgiev? 4th season and 25 years old. Not a youth issue

The youth has been babied and sheltered. To say they are the reason we are struggling with consistency is just flat out false. Kreider and Zibs were suppose to 'lead' the team. B.Smith is another team leader, who as of late has fallen apart.

So if we excuse most of the top6, the PP, and a good chunk of the vets and coaching staff, yeah its obviously the kids fault

The original statement was we struggle because of youth. That's what was refuted. I don't care what framed question you asked. We are not struggling with consistency because of our youth.

Last edited:

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I know we joke about Sam and Joe and their shenanigans, and Sam with his missed calls, and Joe’s comments, but I just laugh and move on, dude is a legend. Joe gets a lot of criticism for some of his comments but he is not annoying to me.

I think these two guys are enjoyable, they try and tune down the homer-ism, and will give a lot of props to teams that the Rangers are playing. Joe made a comment that 4 goals may not be enough against this Pittsburgh team, he was right on the money, needed 5 goals to win this one.

I’ve listened to other broadcasts, forced to on NHL center ice, teams like Boston and Colorado are brutal and total homers. Colorado broadcast basically said during an Anaheim game, it’s a waste of time to play against this team or not worth their time, Ducks won that game. Lol.

I mean I really think we don’t appreciate what we have with Sam who is towards the end of his career and who I met in person many times, and is a class act. So we can have the laughs make some jabs but at the end of the day, happy we have these guys.

Totally agree - by far my fave hometown crew.

I've met them several times as well, whenever the Rangers were in Calgary (which is now a far distant memory), I have an uncanny knack/pure luck of running into them at the Saddledome. Always willing to chat a bit of hockey with fans and and like you said, class acts top to bottom. It'll be a sad day for me when Sam turns off the mic for good, I'll miss Joe too. (even my wife has met them with me and loves them both lol)

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Mika
Kreider
Strome and Buch had a ridiculous March, before that they were inconsistent and/or flat
Our entire PP has been inconsistent the entire season. VETS MAKE UP THE UNIT.
Our bottom6 journeymen have been inconsistent
Brendan Smith?
We've come out flat A LOT of games.. Coaching and Vets? or kids?
Offensive gameplan? youth fault?
Georgiev? 4th season and 25 years old. Not a youth issue

The youth has been babied and sheltered. To say they are the reason we are struggling with consistency is just flat out false. Kreider and Zibs were suppose to 'lead' the team. B.Smith is another team leader, who as of late has fallen apart.

So if we excuse most of the top6, the PP, and a good chunk of the vets and coaching staff, yeah its obviously the kids fault

The original statement was we struggle because of youth. That's what was refuted. I don't care what framed question you asked. We are not struggling with consistency because of our youth.

If Strome and Buch are players you consider inconsistent this year, than the league is overrun by inconsistent players and the consistent ones are a very small minority of the NHL, that is primarily superstars and the worst players who are consistently bad.

PP has zero to do with the discussion. It's a separate entity. Every team's power play goes through dry spells, anyway.

Kreider has been inconsistent every season of his Rangers career.

Zib has not been inconsistent. He was suffering from a disease.

Smith is a team leader who has recently fallen apart? Where do you think he has fallen from? He used to be consistently better? When, exactly?

I have never said it's the fault of the kids, so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up to me. Nothing to do with your allegations that the vets have been inconsistent.

The Islanders have been pretty consistent this year. Not many others. Colorado, now the favorite to win the Cup has been incredibly inconsistent. The Bruins have been incredibly inconsistent. Go on their board. They're angrier than Rangers fans.

Are you really upset with the veterans or the coach?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
if you are watching, you wouldn't rely on the metrics so heavily. Smith is a nightmare and he is dragging Hajek's numbers down. It is clear (from watching) that Smith is getting caught up ice, creating odd man rushes against, is fumbling the puck and making bad decisions regularly. But, whatever.

I watch almost every game. Hajek fails my eye test and the metrics test. Just because Smith isn't good doesn't mean Hajek is playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad