Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Please leave Elon Musk out of this.

6MU4njN.png

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I only regret that I have but one like to give.

I'll be very disappointed in the internet if I'm the first one to make a picture like that.

Edit 1: Perhaps this should be my Halloween costume this year.

Edit 2: His belly button seems to make an eye in the Star of David.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slick Arnold

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
the penguins had to partner with development companies to do this at all, which just shows that they had no business ever being involved, right?

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
That's like saying you had to hire a contractor to put in a pool, so you should have never wanted the pool to begin with.
thats not even remotely close. more like saying my future neighbors might want a pool so i am going to pick a contractor to build the pool for them that i think they will want

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
thats not even remotely close. more like saying my future neighbors might want a pool so i am going to pick a contractor to build the pool for them that i think they will want
No, the Penguins own the land they are developing on, as per the deal for the new arena.
"The city would maintain ownership of the land, which the Penguins would purchase incrementally as the organization moved forward with development plans."
I would link the actual deal but that thing seems to have disappeared from the internet.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I read like 288 parking spaces. What do you do when the work force is still there? I'm sure maybe that's per building?

Not that prices were not high before this, I mean, $20.00/$25.00 to park for 3 hours is just ridiculous. Are those costs going to be reduced?

Oh, plus... I like PPG, but I feel they have totally done the building a disjustice burying it and it's most appealing view behind the church. Not along Center or 5th ave. So for me, the entire thing has been botched...

I don't hate progress, but I do hate how they are doing it.

Edit: They could have made the spot where PPG is currently at into all this crap they are doing now, and had PPG built in the upper lots of the old Igloo where it doesn't impede the views keeping the stucture lower and built into the hill. Basically pick up PPG the way she sits and plop it in the upper lots.

Not only that, but the development part would have already been done with all the time they had..
Only commenting on the parking cost. A lot of places that have parking garages/facilities near by work out event parking prices. I live in San Diego, formerly there in Pittsburgh, but out here a lot of stuff goes on at PetCo Park where the Padres play. They have concerts. Concerts. Monster trucks (one of my sons favorites). Kids events. And almost all of the events if you show your ticket when you go to leave to pay you get a reduced price. I’ve seen it like this in other cities also like Columbus around Ohio State/Nationwide Arena. And up in LA around Staples Center.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Only commenting on the parking cost. A lot of places that have parking garages/facilities near by work out event parking prices. I live in San Diego, formerly there in Pittsburgh, but out here a lot of stuff goes on at PetCo Park where the Padres play. They have concerts. Concerts. Monster trucks (one of my sons favorites). Kids events. And almost all of the events if you show your ticket when you go to leave to pay you get a reduced price. I’ve seen it like this in other cities also like Columbus around Ohio State/Nationwide Arena. And up in LA around Staples Center.

That would be nice, but here you are paying the attendant before you park, or you pay at a machine in parking garages and there is no person to person interactions. There are places around cheaper, smaller lots and such, but they tend to fill up if you are not early. I can't imagine things will be much better when the wide open parking is all gone. I can also see traffic being even worse when everyone has to eventually cycle out of nothing but parking garages. People left early when it was easier before. That's going to be even more notable in the future.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
the penguins had to partner with development companies to do this at all, which just shows that they had no business ever being involved, right?
Yes. Nor did the Steelers & Pirates have any right to have a say in the North Shore development (which has ended up being a total misuse of prime real estate).

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It was falling apart.

And...so ugly, sorry Yinzers, iz true

Just read this in a favorite memories of Civic Arena, though, and it's golden if true:

"I remember a Pens playoff game against the Bruins in 1979 (?) where there were at leats 20 guys fighting in the E balcony after the game, and Bruins coach Don Cherry complained after getting soaked with beer on the way off the ice, along with having ill will bestowed upon his dog, Blue. That ugly blue fibergass tunnel from the visitor's locker room made its' debut after that season"

Lol.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And...so ugly, sorry Yinzers, iz true

Just read this in a favorite memories of Civic Arena, though, and it's golden if true:

"I remember a Pens playoff game against the Bruins in 1979 (?) where there were at leats 20 guys fighting in the E balcony after the game, and Bruins coach Don Cherry complained after getting soaked with beer on the way off the ice, along with having ill will bestowed upon his dog, Blue. That ugly blue fibergass tunnel from the visitor's locker room made its' debut after that season"

Lol.

Maybe inside...

BOL-MELLON-ARENA-page.jpg

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s amazing how much power hill district residents have. The community seems to have been bitching about this project from day one. The city has lost out on a decade from this bullshit. Too much traffic, too much light from the buildings, we will lose our views, etc.

I personally don’t think anyone should have any input in this if they don’t pay property tax. Hopefully more people in the community pay taxes than I would guess.

FNB is not doing well, and it might be acquired by PNC. Congrats, you’ve lost your anchor tentant. Everyone involved should feel ashamed.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I read this as a power move by the Pens to move things forward faster. I still assume it gets done.

The Penguins may not have a moral obligation to right historical wrongs, but city leadership does in my opinion. I'm not close enough to understand the local politics, but I hope a deal gets done that all parties are reasonably okay with.

Last edited:

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
It’s amazing how much power hill district residents have. The community seems to have been bitching about this project from day one. The city has lost out on a decade from this bullshit. Too much traffic, too much light from the buildings, we will lose our views, etc.

I personally don’t think anyone should have any input in this if they don’t pay property tax. Hopefully more people in the community pay taxes than I would guess.

FNB is not doing well, and it might be acquired by PNC. Congrats, you’ve lost your anchor tentant. Everyone involved should feel ashamed.
Short sighted. You want the development to integrate well with the existing community. Otherwise you end up with a fortress surrounded by decay.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
I read this as a power move by the Pens to move things forward faster. I still assume it gets done.

The Penguins may not have a moral obligation to right historical wrongs, but city leadership does in my opinion. I'm not close enough to understand the local politics, but I hope a deal gets done that all parties are reasonably okay with.
is this about moving things along faster or the fact that the penguins werent able to move them along faster and get paid? the penguins arent a real estate devleopment company so this is literally them selling access right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad