News Article: Pens Promote Patrik Allvin to Director of Amateur Scouting

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Here's the part where I pretend to know if this is a good or bad move and make my uninformed opinion known.

Great hire!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Excellent. I am a fan of drafting Euros as a general rule. You get one extra year to sign them (as opposed to CHLers), you can stick a Euro in the AHL at age 18 or 19 if you want (depending on his contract situation), you can send the player to the NCAA if that is his desire, etc.

Just makes it more likely (though still unlikely) that you wind up with something instead of nothing after two or three years.

I like it.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Good. Keeps Bottlerocket from poaching him and whoever takes his place as head Euro scout.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/allvin-promoted-to-director-of-amateur-scouting/c-290195630

Patrik Allvin had been the Head European Scout. Looks like the trend of more European draft picks under Rutherford is going to continue.

I'm all for someone that has a fresh new outlook on the Pens scouting as a whole. I hope JR continues to add more people to broaden their scope, there's a lot of talent that the Pens can uncover if they have the right people looking out for it like finding guys such as Guentzel to draft or a guy like Sheary to sign as a free agent.

I hope they aren't shy from more Euro UFA's too after the whole Bengtsson thing, that is still sad.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hopefully we'll bring in another Euro scout to replace him. Anyone know if he was already based over here?

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Here's the part where I pretend to know if this is a good or bad move and make my uninformed opinion known.

Great hire!

I'm going to do the same but reverse.

Bad hire. Should have hired the guy on the ground in Omaha/Sault Ste. Marie areas. Unless that was Sexton... then... should have prompted Sexton and fired Guerin. Should have done that anyway. Jagr watch 2017 / Bring back Ty Conklin.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He was the head of European Scouting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tommy Westlund take over that role next.

True, so we'll be one Euro Scout down. I assume he based himself over in Europe but going forward it would make more sense for him to be based over here.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Might throw my hat in the ring for the open Euro scout position.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I was looking at the Pens site and hockey ops personnel. Aside from Allvin, we have TWO European scouts. TWO!!

I don't know for sure how many Euro scouts other teams have, but I would think we should have 5 or 6 European scouts. At least:

- 1 in Russia
- 1 for Czech Rep. and Slovakia
- 1 for Finland
- 1 for Sweden (probably need 2 here, or 3 total between Fin and SWE)
- 1 for Switzerland/Germany (could also cover France, Slovenia, Austria)

So it seems we are short at least 2 or 3 Euro scouts. I hope with Allvin at the helm -- who by definition of the role of head of ALL amateur scouting (not just Euro) is going to need to cover some NA territory -- he will make it a priority to hire an additional 2 or 3 Euro scouts. Particularly for us being a cap team who has traded lots of draft picks and will pick low in the standings, DOING THIS IS ESSENTIAL!!!!

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Three European based scouts is pretty normal. Six is nuts, though. Detroit, who are obviously well known for their Euro-centric scouting only have four.

I strongly doubt any team devotes a scout to Germany and Switzerland on anything close to a full time basis. Considering the low volume of NHL talent that region produces, that would seem a pretty wasteful use of resources.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The editing on that movie is so bad that I'm wondering if I went on a bender and made it.

I couldn't have written it, though. At least if I wrote it, the lame-ass dialog would take place in a sensible order :laugh:

Could be wrong, but I think the reason it's a cult classic is because it's so awful. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->