Pens Predict

Will you partake in Pens Predict (if brought back)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Please respond with an answer as honest as possible (life happens..).

In seasons' past, we would have a great showing for the first 15 games then die off to about 7 or 8 regular players. This is not a game-breaker, but as a full-time professional it's a lot of effort if nobody is interested.

@ColePens If I were to offer a prize(s), is this allowed? I wasn't entirely kidding about a Jack Johnson jersey for the winner :laugh:

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I did a few gift card prizes before on HF. I specifically sent them out via mail myself. If it's just something we do as a group, it's fine. The problem is if an actual business is using it for advertisement or something. But that doesn't seem to be the thing at all.

HF Pens is built by the community of amazing members. That's why we are awesome. I'm down for anything that keeps that awesome.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

In seasons' past, we would have a great showing for the first 15 games then die off to about 7 or 8 regular players. This is not a game-breaker, but as a full-time professional it's a lot of effort if nobody is interested.

@ColePens If I were to offer a prize(s), is this allowed? I wasn't entirely kidding about a Jack Johnson jersey for the winner :laugh:

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017

Could you explain what Pens Predict is? Thanks.

Certified Assassin

Souped up Wildcat
Jul 15, 2010
West Virginia
Man, seems like yesterday I was in charge of this... I would participate, for sure. I had a lot of fun when everyone was on board - unfortunately a lot of posters dropped out once the standings made them aware they could not catch up. I tried different categories, scoring techniques, etc., but couldn't find a competitive "sweetspot". Adding a prize would be cool - but I really enjoyed the participation more than anything - just something to bring this community together and get them more involved on a game by game basis. Not sure I managed to do that, but I hope everyone enjoyed the game in the three or so years I head-manned this.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Man, seems like yesterday I was in charge of this... I would participate, for sure. I had a lot of fun when everyone was on board - unfortunately a lot of posters dropped out once the standings made them aware they could not catch up. I tried different categories, scoring techniques, etc., but couldn't find a competitive "sweetspot". Adding a prize would be cool - but I really enjoyed the participation more than anything - just something to bring this community together and get them more involved on a game by game basis. Not sure I managed to do that, but I hope everyone enjoyed the game in the three or so years I head-manned this.

Would you be willing to take it back - or help out this coming season? Your system got me involved to begin with...

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Certified Assassin

Souped up Wildcat
Jul 15, 2010
West Virginia
Would you be willing to take it back - or help out this coming season? Your system got me involved to begin with...

I wouldn't have the time to take it over fully, I could possibly help out in some minor way, but you would need to let me know exactly what you require of me. I get bogged down at work during January through April with tax season. I can design an Excel file similar to the one I used if you need a way of keeping track of the standings.

Just a word of advice - make sure you have a good, committed crowd that will play over the whole season. If not, you get burned out and wonder why the heck you are doing this in the first place :laugh:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Could you explain what Pens Predict is? Thanks.

Each game day- usually the morning (sometimes an hour or two) before, I post a 'Pens Predict: Game # Pittsburgh vs XXXX' thread. The rules are listed within the thread, but as a general rule: You'll respond to the thread with your predictions for that game in a few categories - each category is worth points. [These rules are not set in stone yet - the following is strictly an example:]

ex) 5-4 Pens (Final Score + Winner - 3 points all or nothing)
ex) Malkin (First goal of the game - not just the Pens- 2 points)
ex) Schultz, Tripping (First penalty - what the penalty is - 2 points)
ex) Malkin, Hornqvist, Rust (Three stars of the game - 1 point each)
* Total points available: 10. If someone were to get every category correct - 5 bonus points are given for a total of 15 points.

...then you rinse and repeat each game. A spreadsheet is kept and updated every 2-3 games (more frequent as the season progresses) and the winner gets bragging rights (though I'll likely offer prizes this year). Clear as mud? As a rule - I remove people from the scorers list if they go 5-10 games without a prediction. I'll move those players to another file and place them back in the mix when they become active again. As Assassin mentioned, there are a lot of folks who begin the season then just disappear. Generally it's a lot of fun. Questions?

Reactions: Certified Assassin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->