Pens Off day/season thread “Useless information edition”

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Shows what a **** stat hits is.
Same with shots, I only ever visit the crappy canucks arena when the Pens come into town since I've been living here and I sometimes just stare at the shot clock after shots and when the Pens get a shot on their goalie and then miss the net, they count it as 2 shots at times.

Fun to boost them SV% stats.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I thought it interesting, and a little scary, how divergent the ten opinions were. And holy ****, Matt Murray's was straight out of political non-speak saccharine "
“I think we’re always trying to come together as a group. I’ll leave it at that.
“That’s what we try to do each and every year: come together as a group. I think we’ve done a good job of that in the past, and we’re always trying to do better.” Ugh.

They've clearly given Murray a lot of media training, because his interviews when he first came in the league were really honest and funny. Either that, or he hates Rossi and didn't want to give a quote.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes,he did. Although, I don't think you need a model to figure that out. His assessment of the defense is accurate though.

- Dumo/Letang are one of the best pairs in the league
- Schultz can be better
- Gubranson and Pettersson could be solid
- Johnson is an anchor
Schultz has been hurt by not having a stable LD partner, he went from Ian Cole to an attempt with Oleksiak being miscast horribly in a role that he was never meant for to Jack Johnson being attached to him and dragging him down in every measurable metric. He should be with Pettersson but that doesn't really compliment Justin's game either. Ideally I like Petterson with Gudbranson as they both compliment each other and Schultz needs his Gudbranson/Cole type as well.

Johnson isn't an anchor, dude's a f***ing barnacle on an anchor, he just exists.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Super excited to see how the new guys fit in, particularly Galchenyuk and Tanev. Super excited to see Geno play like a bat outta Hell now that he got the Kessel monkey off his back. Super bummed because I know just how abysmal a hockey player JJ is, and how he alone can undo any good from a forward line whenever he's on the ice.

It's worth losing Rust if we can get a team to take him--particularly without sending an equally terrible player/contract back. I hope he's gone by Thanksgiving, and I think he will be when JR and Sully continue to watch him screw things up royally whenever he hops over the boards.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I like how much info they give us.

Feels like Clancey might get the AGM role at the end of the season. Cool to see more faces who'll scout more in Europe, and nice to see more investment in recently profitable places like Quebec and the West Coast.

Also 36 seems real young to become Director of Pro Scouting, so interesting to see if they promote Bowness more in coming years.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

lmfl123

Jan 25, 2015
Seems like Sutter wasn’t very well liked in Edmonton and since he’s been there since 2011 you have to wonder what the Pens see in him. Curious to see how this goes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seems like Sutter wasn’t very well liked in Edmonton and since he’s been there since 2011 you have to wonder what the Pens see in him. Curious to see how this goes.

Well liked by fans or well liked by the rest of the org? Because that distinction makes a huge difference to how I'd react to that.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i read around a bit on Sutter. Seems to get alot of blame for the crappy trades/UFA's Chiarelli signed.
By the end of his EDM time he was Dir. of player personel tho after working up from the scout ranks.
He's starting at the bottom here again as a scout who'll probably be assigned to scout the WHL.

Also JR doing McClement a solid by giving him a scouting job. I always like to see that anyway. Some grinders turn out to be great talent evaluators. Don't mind giving him a shot.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Cool to get a little inside info on who was scouting Marino/Harvard.
I also liked Artie's snippit in the pre-draft videos describing the prospects he was watching.
Kevin Stevens is probably the guy I feel the sorriest for, his career and life spiraled out of control after that hit, the pain, the addiction all started while he was recovering. The guy was such a beast and I was looking forward to seeing him go down as one of the greats for power forwards before that hit happened.

Like everyone else, I am very happy to see the guy turn his life around and also his friends giving him that opportunity with the Penguins. Because even with getting better, having someone offer to help him with a career had to be huge for his continued sobriety and recovery.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Getting to Know: Dominik Kahun

Who did you idolize growing up?

I think because I still played hockey in Czech, it was Jaromir Jagr. Every Czech guy loves Jagr, probably (laughs). (At this point, Jared McCann cuts in: "I got to play with Jagr." Kahun: "You did? In Florida?" McCann: "Yeah, I was on his line. Assisted on his goal in Vancouver").

I don't know why, but the image of McCann casually popping in out of nowhere with the Jagr namedrop was funny to me.

Jagr was a diva and a shit, but the man was an icon regardless. A player that kids playing nearly 30 years after his first NHL game brag "I got to play with _____".

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Getting to Know: Dominik Kahun

I don't know why, but the image of McCann casually popping in out of nowhere with the Jagr namedrop was funny to me.

Jagr was a diva and a ****, but the man was an icon regardless. A player that kids playing nearly 30 years after his first NHL game brag "I got to play with _____".
The only guys to play with Jagr on this roster or be on the same team as him at the same time is Bjugstad and McCann, lol.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad