Post-Game Talk: Pens / Kings: Where frustration continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Malkin has been great the last few games and seemingly the only one on the scoresheet. Crosby has sucked but he's got JJ behind him and carrying a passenger in Zucker.

The only "Great" thing Malkin has done the last few games was pad his personal stats when games were out of reach already. He was nowhere to be found early in the games, while it still mattered. Some leader.

And please don't give me any more of this "Crosby is beyond critique because of his linemates" If Crosby really is who people say he is - then no Johnson nor Zucker can make him absolutely utterly useless, which he has been lately.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The last thing this team needs is to continue using Rust as a left winger, he is not good there and the team keeps shoving him there, so all this does is exacerbate the issues even more with players in different lines on their wrong sides. There are certain things that work and should be kept that way and other things that should be swapped. For one, Marleau had a lot of good looks off the right wing, he also plays the right wing on the powerplay often (did in Toronto, scored a lot from the right side). He had a couple of scoring chances where he was parked near the right side as well. Hornqvist and Geno, that has to end especially since it pushes Rust to the LW and neither Rust nor Horny are LW'ers by any stretch of the imagination.

With how Sullivan does things, I half expect "Sheary, Crosby, Hornqvist" in the next game, lol.

I'd be happy with...
Zucker, Crosby, Simon - That line needs Simon, as much as I hate to say it.
Marleau, Malkin, Rust
Sheary, Rodrigues/McCann, Hornqvist
Lafferty, Blueger, Tanev - Lafferty can actually play LW, Tanev is at his best on the right side.

Obviously adding McCann and ZAR back, puts some lines back to how they were before like Aston-Reese, Blueger, Tanev, and then that 3rd line who knows about Rodrigues and him sitting and McCann at C.

Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist is at 6.4 GF/60 and it drops by about half as soon as someone is taken off.

GF: 8
GA: 1
GF: 89%
xGF: 61%
SCF: 57%
HDCF: 69%
HDGF: 89%
Shooting %: 21%
SV%: .974%

Change the other lines first or until this line drops off. The numbers are too good to change up at the moment

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Do you fully understand anything but a results-oriented approach?
If that game is played 10 times, the Pens win 9 of them.
What you witnessed was the anomaly in terms of what chances they generated.

Check out the 2nd Cup run where we did exactly that to other teams. Getting out chanced yet still winning. I mean we really had no right winning that 2nd Cup considering we were getting outplayed most nights. We got every single break and puck bounce.

It's an anomaly if it happens once in a while.

It's not an anomaly if it consistently keeps happening in 4 straight playoff rounds, against 4 different teams.

Or in 4 straight games, for that matter.

This team has played increasingly worse ever since Crosby returned.

I wonder of this is a coincidence.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Malkin has been great the last few games and seemingly the only one on the scoresheet. Crosby has sucked but he's got JJ behind him and carrying a passenger in Zucker.

Geno had that same JJ behind him while Sid was injured and we all know what he did during that time. So to blame it squarely on JJ is a bit foolish. With that said, yes JJ sucks and shouldnt be anywhere on the top D pair any more. I am just hoping that Zucker is more of a slow start, takes time to get used to new team and new system, and gets going soon, than another coming of Brassard

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Pens looking more and more like last year's bunch. I truly thought they were contenders, but it just looks to similar to last season.

Absolutely inexcusable to lose 4 regulation games in a row playing against some of the worst in the league.

JJ out there with 2 minutes left is a sign of mental illness.

My feelings exactly.

They looked and played much better when many of their "superstars" weren't in the lineup.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It's an anomaly if it happens once in a while.

It's not an anomaly if it consistently keeps happening in 4 straight playoff rounds, against 4 different teams.

Or in 4 straight games, for that matter.

This team has played increasingly worse ever since Crosby returned.

I wonder of this is a coincidence.

In the 2017 series vs Washington 2nd Round where we won in 7 games here were the goals scored by the Pens

2.8 avg

In the next season where we lost to Washington 6 games in 2nd round here were the goals scored:

2.3 avg
Both teams had Sid Crosby on it

Outside of the anomaly of 6 goals I'm not seeing much difference here

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Geno had that same JJ behind him while Sid was injured and we all know what he did during that time. So to blame it squarely on JJ is a bit foolish. With that said, yes JJ sucks and shouldnt be anywhere on the top D pair any more. I am just hoping that Zucker is more of a slow start, takes time to get used to new team and new system, and gets going soon, than another coming of Brassard

I would seriously love Zucker down to the third line for a bit. I think there is a very good chance that he is not playing his own game but has bought into "just defer to Crosby." He might be a passenger period, but I want to see him without Sid first.

You are right that Geno has been significantly better than Sid this year. Sid is playing like Patrick Kane which is not great when you're a 1c.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't have actual words to say about the fact that you lay the blame for the loss on the defense that allowed 2(!) goals while the offense (Crosby! Malkin! Letang!) scored as many as 1 goal.

I'm speechless at the logic of this analysis.

Lay the blame where it really belongs.

So you feel goal 2 was the offense when JJ turned it over then was smoked 1 on 1?

Or that the offense puts them point blank and they can't score? Or that they can't transition fast enough?

Ok. Gotchu.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Remind me how that game ended?

And how much this goal helped to get a W over the biggest rival?

You said Malkin hadn’t scored any goals. He’s scored 3 goals in the last 4 games (5 points). Crosby scores a goal too.

If you don’t understand that scoring a goal or helping set up a goal increases your chances of winning maybe don’t post such comments.

For us to win the last 4 games if you are exclusively blaming Malkin and Crosby. They would have had to score 18 goals combined in 4 games. They only scored 4.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's cute how so many posters think getting rid of JJ will magically improve a team that can't score goals. Kind of like scratching ZAR was going to make us so much better. I mean, the two of them mostly blow, don't get me wrong, but the impact of their ineptitude is blown out of proportions. JJ didn't make Sid and Geno appear inept on the PP once again or make a backup goalie of a terrible team get a win with relative ease.

Thank you

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
You mean the ones that couldn't put the puck behind a rookie goalie with 1-3-1 career record and about 3,03 average GA?

No I was obviously referring to the Pittsburgh Steelers forwards.

Don’t quote me with stupid shit like this.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
In the 2017 series vs Washington 2nd Round where we won in 7 games here were the goals scored by the Pens

2.8 avg

In the next season where we lost to Washington 6 games in 2nd round here were the goals scored:

2.3 avg
Both teams had Sid Crosby on it

Outside of the anomaly of 6 goals I'm not seeing much difference here

Can't see what your point is, sorry

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
JJ got worked on the 2nd goal. 1st goal was courtesy of bonehead reputation call. I've been begging for good defensemen on this team for years.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
So you feel goal 2 was the offense when JJ turned it over then was smoked 1 on 1?

Or that the offense puts them point blank and they can't score? Or that they can't transition fast enough?

Ok. Gotchu.

I can't see how it is fair and accurate to blame the D in a game where our team scored only 1 goal. I could understand this argument after a score like 4:5, maybe.

I can't see how 1 goal you are alluding to determined the outcome of the entire game. Pens have more than enough star power to overcome 1 bad goal.

I can't see how we can blame JJ for his mistakes and at the same time not say a word about Letang with his idiotic decisions, blatantly inaccurate shots and passes and bad penalties.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ok. Gotchu.

Cole, this poster has been an obvious troll on here for years. You gotta lead by example and ignore him.

Only comes around when things aren’t going well and curses out the players, calls Malkin and Crosby names, etc etc.

Dives into the same playbook over and over again.

I’d rather read a discussion in here about Shelly Duvall’s favorite Mexican foods than others feeding a sadly obvious troll.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
You said Malkin hadn’t scored any goals. He’s scored 3 goals in the last 4 games (5 points). Crosby scores a goal too.

If you don’t understand that scoring a goal or helping set up a goal increases your chances of winning maybe don’t post such comments.

For us to win the last 4 games if you are exclusively blaming Malkin and Crosby. They would have had to score 18 goals combined in 4 games. They only scored 4.

You either really don't understand or pretend not to understand how the game develops and the score effects, because your argument is based on the final stat sheet only.
Scoring goals and points when a game is out of reach doesn't help your team much, but makes you personally look good on the scoresheet.

The team has been starting games late. The team has been taking periods off. The teams hasn't been working hard enough to create enough offense, and hasn't been determined enough to finish their chances. The team has been generally lazy and complacent. It all starts from the stars and leaders, and then spreads on throughout the lineup.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
No I was obviously referring to the Pittsburgh Steelers forwards.

Don’t quote me with stupid shit like this.

Don't get so worked up. I was just hinting that maybe, just maybe Pens forwards weren't so "decent" in the last few games?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You either really don't understand or pretend not to understand how the game develops and the score effects, because your argument is based on the final stat sheet only.
Scoring goals and points when a game is out of reach doesn't help your team much, but makes you personally look good on the scoresheet.

The team has been starting games late. The team has been taking periods off. The teams hasn't been working hard enough to create enough offense, and hasn't been determined enough to finish their chances. The team has been generally lazy and complacent. It all starts from the stars and leaders, and then spreads on throughout the lineup.
I don't think being complacent is accurate. I do think we've experienced some uneven efforts of late including starting on time. That I agree with certainly. However, We lost last night because we didn't aptly execute when we garnered quality scoring chances. With all the misgivings of our blue line and they're well deserved IMO, we didn't get the job done because we simply didn't finish.

Reactions: Angrrus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->