Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Habs - Sat 7 EST

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So big weekend coming up with the Pens in town on Saturday and traveling to Boston on Sunday.

You guys think Price will play both games? I thought maybe play Budaj Saturday and then Price Sunday?

Also no Leafs game Saturday night so this one will be coast-to-coast!

Probably the biggest tests so far this season going against the best teams (besides the Habs ;) ) in the conference back-to-back.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Price better play both games this weekend unless he pretty much tells the coaching staff he can't go.

I'm always confident when we play PIT and you know this game will mean everything to MT.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Price should play both and Budaj can get the Islanders on Tuesday

No Malkin but Crosby is still da best in the world and he will most probably be doubled shifting

Leo Getz

Sep 4, 2007
Have to keep winning. Every game is so much important this year. Especially with Bruins having 4 games in hand.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Therrien against his former team. Does he put $1K on the board ? :)

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
I don't like our odds this weekend. Feels like our bubble could burst and be another set back.

unless we get crushed in both games, losing back to back to arguably the best teams of the east, should not hinder the teams confidence too much. Or so i hope.

Anyways, MT would just tell me "no excuses" ;o

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
If we lose both games handily, we know we were just playing over our heads this season.

If we win one lose one, I have my doubts about this team.

If we play good enough to win but it just doesn't work out like the way it went for Ottawa, there is no doubt we are for real.

If we get two wins this weekend, there is no doubt we are for real!

Go Habs Go!

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Feeling 2 quick losses to bring us back to earth. Hoping for 2 points somehow.

Funny how we keep saying this every single game night and they keep getting it done.

They are 2 great teams, we can compete against Pittsburgh IMHO cause their goalie and defense is weak and we already proved that we can also compete against the Bruins, we looked better then them in the 1st game. I'm not saying we would beat them in a series, but were not as far as some think we are

Dec 2, 2010
Funny how we keep saying this every single game night and they keep getting it done.

They are 2 great teams, we can compete against Pittsburgh IMHO cause their goalie and defense is weak and we already proved that we can also compete against the Bruins, we looked better then them in the 1st game. I'm not saying we would beat them in a series, but were not as far as some think we are
See that's the problem. If you "play better" and still lose, imagine if you're both playing well or you're being outplayed...

We have a lot to work on and most recently how to integrate Ryder into our system because (I know it's early and he literally just flew in) but Rydes played like it's the old Habs and he's gonna need time and a few practices.

Slippy13

Mar 6, 2008
Montreal, Qc
If we lose both games handily, we know we were just playing over our heads this season.

If we play good enough to win but it just doesn't work out like the way it went for Ottawa, there is no doubt we are for real.

Go Habs Go!

Relax mighty max. Putting arbitrary tests on two games for whether the team is "real" or not means nothing. We could lose both games and still be real. Our team is what our team is, a solid team that's getting it's **** together and on the up and up.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Time to see if the crappy halves of our D-pairs(markov, Diaz, Kaberle) are really up to snuff against Crosby and friends(-1 Malkin).

Fixed it for you.

But Diaz probably won't be there, and if he were, Kaberle won't , so really just two guys to worry about ES.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm not too worried about the Penguins. Especially without Malkin. Florida handled them quite well the other day. Just stay away from Cook.

Also I'd start Budaj Saturday seeing as he's had two good starts and save Price for the Bruins. That's the game I'm more worried about getting blown out, but we'll see; this team can still surprise us and sweep both games. One out of two would still be acceptable considering it's in Boston.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

Go Habs Go!

Until we lose another game or two after that right? Are you telling me good teams cannot lose a game or two badly in a row? Have we not beaten good teams already this year? Sure, Pittsburgh and Boston are two really good teams, but them beating us wouldn't mean that we are pretenders.

Anyways, we will need Price at his best this weekend (I also want him for both games). And we will need to do a better job capitalizing on our chances, good thing we Fleury will be in net. :sarcasm:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
One of the reasons I love our fan base -- Pre-Game threads more than two days beforehand!

So much pessimism and self-doubt here. Can we digest two simple concepts:

1) The Habs are a legit strong team. Not elite, but strong. This season isn't a fluke -- last year was. We've got more talent and a lot more depth than 2011 when we finished 6th in the EC. This doesn't mean we're a lock to win anything, but it means we're back in the playoffs and solidly among the top eight teams in the league.

2) We won't finish with a point % of 720. We will lose games. We will have a bad 10-game stretch at some point, possibly in the next two weeks. Boston and Pittsburgh know they can easily lose to us; doing so doesn't mean they're no longer great teams. Same with us -- if we lose to them we're still a strong team.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
One of the reasons I love our fan base -- Pre-Game threads more than two days beforehand!

So much pessimism and self-doubt here. Can we digest two simple concepts:

1) The Habs are a legit strong team. Not elite, but strong. This season isn't a fluke -- last year was. We've got more talent and a lot more depth than 2011 when we finished 6th in the EC. This doesn't mean we're a lock to win anything, but it means we're back in the playoffs and solidly among the top eight teams in the league.

2) We won't finish with a point % of 720. We will lose games. We will have a bad 10-game stretch at some point, possibly in the next two weeks. Boston and Pittsburgh know they can easily lose to us; doing so doesn't mean they're no longer great teams. Same with us -- if we lose to them we're still a strong team.

:nod: That's right.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I love how people still talk about this team as a "bubble" ready to burst. The season is halfway over after this weekend.

Even if we finish the weekend with no points, it doesn't mean doom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad