Post-Game Talk: Pens/Devils: You already know how it goes

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I can guarantee you Riikola and Sprong do nothing to solve this team’s problems. The issue is we have four defensemen behind Dumo and Letang that are # 4s on their best day and our bottom six center that should be able to step up is playing like a neutered Sutter.

I didn't say it solves our problem (far from it), I answered the questions if he was doing his best of what he could with the roster he currently have. My opinion is that he does not.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My thinking is we get no depth scoring as is. It’s only when Sid and Geno are on the ice so put the best with them.

Hags, Cullen, Rust should at least be a good puck possession line.

Yeah, I get the thinking. I was thinking something like that to myself earlier.

The thing for me is that its kicking the can down the river. Sooner or later you have to play the bottom 6 into confidence and back into useful scoring line roles - unless you're planning to replace the lot of them. Might be the least bad idea at the moment though.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I didn't say it solves our problem (far from it), I answered the questions if he was doing his best of what he could with the roster he currently have. My opinion is that he does not.

If the “best roster” is based on a fringe defenseman in Riikola and what is looking like an incomplete forward in Sprong. That isn’t a coaching decision.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
If the “best roster” is based on a fringe defenseman in Riikola and what is looking like an incomplete forward in Sprong. That isn’t a coaching decision.

Riikola is a better hockey player than some currently employed on the roster. He is not playing. That is a coaching decision. Doesn't matter if he is a world beater or not or solve all our problems or not.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Riikola is a better hockey player than some currently employed on the roster. He is not playing. That is a coaching decision. Doesn't matter if he is a world beater or not or solve all our problems or not.

Riikola is statistically one of our worst defensemen.

He’s been mediocre at best. I’d argue he should play off Ruh. That is about it.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Who is our worst defenseman?

Ruhwedel and Määttä are my current choices. Rather play Ruhwedel though if I'm honest, less prone to making defensive mistakes. And is definitely not getting burned on the rush by turtles.

I would like to say Johnson though to watch you praise him as a great hockey player just to be a contrarian.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ruhwedel and Määttä are my current choices. Rather play Ruhwedel though if I'm honest, less prone to making defensive mistakes. And is definitely not getting burned on the rush by turtles.

I would like to say Johnson though to watch you praise him as a great hockey player just to be a contrarian.

I’m the biggest Johnson hater on here!

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
Are you serious? They’re both on pace for like 90+ pts.
Right that’s one way to look at it, another way is they are 16th and 29th overall in the league and the eye test says they don’t look very engaged. Anyways, I think hiring Quenville might light a fire under them.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Right that’s one way to look at it, another way is they are 16th and 29th overall in the league and the eye test says they don’t look very engaged. Anyways, I think hiring Quenville might light a fire under them.

They are 32 and 31.

Malkin is 4 points off the league lead. Crosby is 7.

Did you watch last night? Crosby and Malkin were more dynamic than any other player than Hall who had a 4 point night.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They are 32 and 31.

Did you watch last night? Crosby and Malkin were more dynamic than any other player than Hall who had a 4 point night.

They're also 11th and 24th on ppg (we're a couple of games behind a lot of the league, so very relevant) and on the team with the least PP opportunities. They could be doing a bit more... but, really, they're fine. They're good. And they looked engaged last night to me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They're also 11th and 24th on ppg (we're a couple of games behind a lot of the league, so very relevant) and on the team with the least PP opportunities. They could be doing a bit more... but, really, they're fine. They're good. And they looked engaged last night to me.

I’d get criticizing Sid and Malkin last year, but the supporting cast is clearly the issue here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks and Peat

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
They are doing their job. They may not score but they're getting zone time and keeping it away from our net and ****ty D. As a result, the HDCA's are coming down and the team is playing with more structure. It's a step up from what the 4th line was doing before they got here, so I'm not gonna complain.

My gripe is with guys like Sheahan, Rust and Hagelin...at least when it comes to forwards. They've been a joke offensively.
they played alittle bit over 19 minutes ES in last three games their Corsi is 38%, they are 0:0 goals though...but even the eye test is horrible, with a bunch of defensuive zone starts they are destined to muck and grind in our own zone getting pinned down...but that goes agains everything that Pens are suppose to be, everything that got us over the hump

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’d get criticizing Sid and Malkin last year, but the supporting cast is clearly the issue here.

Probably more a discussion for the lines/trades thread than post-game, but this is what annoys me the most. I thought we were past those days when Sid/Geno had to do everything, and had the depth to allow them to just be "average" and still have a chance at winning. But it seems like we've gone back to the 2010-15 era where they had to do all the heavy lifting or the team failed.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
They are 32 and 31.

But that's the on going problem. It has to be more than about them... And Malkins bad PIMs and turnovers almost hurt the team as much as his points do on some nights.

Jake and Kessel have to be better. Hornqvist is good on 10' of the ice. More change is needed.

While I like the Pearson trade it doesn't address a huge problem in possession and skilled transpoet up ice.

Dump and chase... Chip and chase has to go...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
But that's the on going problem. It has to be more than about them... And Malkins bad PIMs and turnovers almost hurt the team as much as his points do on some nights.

Jake and Kessel have to be better. Hornqvist is good on 10' of the ice. More change is needed.

While I like the Pearson trade it doesn't address a huge problem in possession and skilled transpoet up ice.

Dump and chase... Chip and chase has to go...

I mean, that’s my point.

I do think Pearson will bring more raw offensive production than Hagelin.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->