Post-Game Talk: Pens/Devils: You already know how it goes

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I can’t tell if the people here are more upset with JR and the the makeup of the bottom six and four or Sullivan and staff’s deployment of this lineup.

Both.

I feel like Sullivan is doing the best he can with this roster.

I have a different opinion. If Sullivan was doing the best with what (little) he had been given, it would be a case of polishing a turd. What Sullivan is actually doing is adding urine to the mix.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Hornqvist and Brassard don’t deserve to be in this category. Rust, Maatta and the D? Sure.

The only reason I would add Brassard is because we gave up a decent amount and the dude has been hurt. Alot. It's like we gave up all that package for a ghost.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
"These are proud hockey players. They know what they have to do."

Which makes it that much worse that they arent doing it.... from the coaches to the players they know what they did and had to do to win.

Yet here they are... not doing exactly that.

Honestly I think with a couple of them the hunger is gone. They all grew a bit complacent.

Reactions: BHD

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
If people want to be upset with Sullivan then let’s change the breakout.

Teams are really activating their defense playing aggressively against our wingers on the half wall in the d zone. They know our defense isn’t good enough right now to make a tape to tape pass. They know know they can force our wingers to cough it up.

I’d float the offside winger to the red line. In simple terms cherry pick. This would allow our defense to have the option use the center of the ice for the breakout. Opposing teams would have to think twice about their agressive pinch.

Kessel had success with this in the beginning of the season.

Reactions: BHD and vodeni

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Malkin looks incredibly frustrated out there, he is working and he is doing some dumb geno things that he does when he tries to do to much. But when he bulls through the opposition pulls everyone to him, and gets the puck to a line mate who doesn't get a decent shot on net you can just tell he is not happy. As much as I want Phil on his own line, maybe we should be putting Phil with Geno the rest of the way. The obvious here is to try Sprong with Geno, put Phil with Sid. But that'll never happen. But we will lose Geno at some point if his linemates continue like they are.

Ian Cole seems to be doing pretty good these days. We'd be a better team with him in the mix on Defense, we'd also be better if Sprong's development was handled better. Both are examples of coaching bias that ruined any chance of either being successful as a penguin this season.

We all lauded Sully's X's and O's when he first came in, and how he actually adjusted his game plan in game. I guess we were all so numb from the Blysma grind those F'ers down days that it was shocking ;) But now he seems to not do much other then do a line blender. The devils last night actually put in a left wing lock on us at various points in the game. We seem to keep just doing the same old thing and hoping it will work *this* time.

Dunno if it's arrogance, ignorance, or pride. But if sullivan keeps executing the same game plan over and over and getting the same result that's on him. The good thing is Geno is trying, Sid is putting in the effort. So he hasn't lost the locker room yet. We see sid and geno both stop giving a damn and we know Sully is on his way out the door.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If people want to be upset with Sullivan then let’s change the breakout.

Teams are really activating their defense playing aggressively against our wingers on the half wall in the d zone. They know our defense isn’t good enough right now to make a tape to tape pass. They know know they can force our wingers to cough it up.

I’d float the offside winger to the red line. In simple terms cherry pick. This would allow our defense to have the option use the center of the ice for the breakout. Opposing teams would have to think twice about their agressive pinch.

Kessel had success with this in the beginning of the season.
If only our wingers would stop flying the zone allowing for the other team to cut off almost literally every pass.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Reactions: Badfish87

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can’t tell if the people here are more upset with JR and the the makeup of the bottom six and four or Sullivan and staff’s deployment of this lineup.

Honestly I think you have to pick a side.

I don't think we do. To me its pretty clear that all of the players, coaching, and GM have an onus to bear.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I don't think we do. To me its pretty clear that all of the players, coaching, and GM have an onus to bear.

I agree. I blame the players the most. I just don’t understand why people here have turned on Sullivan and not the players. It’s not like Sullivan says “more hope passes”. I have a thought why but it would might be personally attacking some posters.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I agree. I blame the players the most. I just don’t understand why people here have turned on Sullivan and not the players. It’s not like Sullivan says “more hope passes”. I have a thought why but it would might be personally attacking some posters.

If award winning actors make a film with terrible delivery and wooden movements......is the director not liable for the end product at all?

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

The players tell you who they are—there’s G last night saying that they worked hard...the players think they are working hard....just think about that....

that tells you 1) either there’s some disconnect between the players and the coach or the coach has to make some tweaks to get the players playing more effectively for all the work they are putting in; or 2) they have too many players who are bad or don’t fit and they need to change the players...both of those are on the GM and the coach...it’s just not working right now and something has to give and it’s not practical to change 2-3 players right now...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Both.

I have a different opinion. If Sullivan was doing the best with what (little) he had been given, it would be a case of polishing a turd. What Sullivan is actually doing is adding urine to the mix.

I’m not sure what Sullivan could do to make this roster better right now. We literally have four deadweights at D. He’s had to shelter JR’s 5 year contract defenseman with our best D. Sprong looks to be a bust. Rust and Sheahan are ghosts and Hagelin is in his typical early season rut.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
If award winning actors make a film with terrible delivery and wooden movements......is the director not liable for the end product at all?

Maybe the regular season is the money grab movie for the players and the playoffs is their Oscar role.

I think Sullivan’s system is very demanding and the players know it’s a long season. It’s debatable whether they can turn it on when counts.

Other teams running a copycat system look faster and better because they are going at 100% just because we are a measuring stick game and on a broader level they have too play that way just to make the playoffs.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
@Pancakes claims a trade will happen now. IMO we do not need mega crazy deals. We just need to get more players who fit our mold. I would have looked at guys like Skinner. I want guys on the 3rd/4th line who have speed. Get the ZAR/Wilson guys out of here. If Rust wants to play like he currently is, get him out of here. Get Maatta and his flat feet out of here. Bring in ze speed. Bring in ze skill.

There are deals out there. There were players that were affordable. We do not need crazy madness JR. We just need a couple adjustments. We are fine. All of our secondary players are playing like dog ****.

I do want to clarify I have no proof that one will. No sources.

This is just my gut feeling that we've looked bad enough for long enough that JR surely has an itchy trigger finger. He's not going to sit back and let this team continue to lose. He'll try something to spark them. And since Sully is pretty safe (how could he not be with back to back Cups?) a trade is the logical route.

Bear in mind, he's already tried calling players up and moving guys in and out of the lineup. A trade is JR's only card left to play since he does not want to fire the coach I imagine.

As for what we need, I think our d needs to be re-tooled. Our forward group is fine. We need more from guys like Rust and Sheahan, but beyond that, it's fine. It's our d that is killing us. Get a dman or two and the forwards will fall in place imo.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The players tell you who they are—there’s G last night saying that they worked hard...the players think they are working hard....just think about that....

that tells you 1) either there’s some disconnect between the players and the coach or the coach has to make some tweaks to get the players playing more effectively for all the work they are putting in; or 2) they have too many players who are bad or don’t fit and they need to change the players...both of those are on the GM and the coach...it’s just not working right now and something has to give and it’s not practical to change 2-3 players right now...

Of course they will say they are working hard. They wouldn’t say otherwise.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mentioned this in the Salary Cap thread, but one move I'm surprised they haven't tried yet is calling up Prow and sending down Riikola. Maybe the team decided Riikola has established himself as a full time NHLer already, meaning he won't be sent down, but it's a move that makes sense on paper. Riikola has alternated between a healthy scratch and struggling in the lineup, so sending him to the AHL may let him get back into his groove. This team has a problem with lacking right handed puck moving D, and Prow is a right handed puck moving D that has 9 points in 14 games and is a +13. It seems to be a move that makes sense on paper, I just don't know why they haven't done it yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad