Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
How bout border collies?

Love bordie collies.. you can teach them just about anything and have a really high drive.
They are a working/herding dog, so you HAVE to work them.

I guess I wasn't really being fair to labs, they're just not my preference. I'd rather have a border collie than a lab, but if a BC isn't worked then they tend to "herd" people and nip at heels. All dogs if not enriched can be problematic.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you watch how Kap played that game on L4, I think it would be worth putting Rust to L3 or L4 for a little bit. I know the dude will be back. But I think when he plays on a bottom 6, he thinks less and can find his game. Then boom - right back up.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If you watch how Kap played that game on L4, I think it would be worth putting Rust to L3 or L4 for a little bit. I know the dude will be back. But I think when he plays on a bottom 6, he thinks less and can find his game. Then boom - right back up.

Yeah, I don’t love them breaking up McCann-Jank-Tanev but anything to shake up that second line.

I would like to see
Zucker-Sid-Kap
Jake-Malkin-Tanev
McCann-Jank-Rust/erod
Sceviour-TB-Rust/erod

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I don’t love them breaking up McCann-Jank-Tanev but anything to shake up that second line.

Yeah that L1 and L2 were killing us. It didn't matter that L3 was clicking because the other lines were hurting us 10x. Like 1 step forward, 2 step back.

Geno NEEDS Tanev. I can't believe i'm saying that. Geno NEEDS Tanev. Tanev gave him a little jump and helped out so much defensively.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Yeah that L1 and L2 were killing us. It didn't matter that L3 was clicking because the other lines were hurting us 10x. Like 1 step forward, 2 step back.

Geno NEEDS Tanev. I can't believe i'm saying that. Geno NEEDS Tanev. Tanev gave him a little jump and helped out so much defensively.

The new hair has increased Tanev to a top 6 forward.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I agree. I’d flip Jake and Zucker with Tanev there bc Tanev is spastic (in a good way) and Jake is very calm and a good playmaker when he’s on.

Zucker has had jump but he and Tanev are kinda similar style wise. Feel like there’d be a better balance skill set wise that way.

Reactions: ColePens

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I have no idea what to expect when I watch the Penguins any longer....

That was a wild game.... full of heart string pulls and head scratchers.

I really have no idea what to expect out of this team. I really don't know.

Phlyers are the better side of the good spectrum, caps are in the middle.... not sure how to gauge the penguins til every team has been played.

I think the penguins have a fighting chance this year. Said that yesterday, but it's how I choose to conclude this post as well.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Not really a championship team here. Sorry folks. Same old problems that have been allowed to fester.

Letang and Malkin are shadows of their former selves. Both guys are coasting on reputation right now. Letang is far more of a problem, because the defense appears to follow his lead. We seriously need to restructure the D - starting from the top. There are salvageable pieces here, but Letang has to go if this group is ever going to form into something worthwhile.

Malkin is fading. To a lesser extent Sid is as well, but Malkin's decline is more apparent because his game relied on his persistence and energy. His "fly-by" style of defense is shrugged off by most opponents now. He can't shake defenders off like he use too. His shot is still there - when he gets open to use it. I'm sad to see this happen, as i use to love to watch him play the game. I don't think the Pens can/should move on, but they should seriously consider reducing his role a bit. Find some workhorses to carry his line for him. But make that a 2nd line in name only.

Its a bit early to panic over the goaltending, and with the effort/defense being so lacking i don't think you can really point fingers at it yet. Hopefully the team finds some structure on the D (either by trading or isolating Letang). I can't see the former happening though, unfortunately.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm not to excited about the wins either because they were OT wins.

Team's were dead-even each game.... doesn't signify anything except penguins don't quit (sometimes)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not to excited about the wins either because they were OT wins.

Team's were dead-even each game.... doesn't signify anything except penguins don't quit (sometimes)

Pretty much all games we’ve outplayed the opposition more than not.

It’s just our meltdowns are huge at the moment and it’s making it difficult. Cut out the big mistakes and we’d likely be 4-0-0

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Without a shadow of doubt, some guys stepped up in the 3rd. Geno wasn't perfect in the 3rd, but he stepped up. Sid seemed to look more engaged. Their attention to defensive awareness was downright awful. I cannot stress it enough. The errors made on the defensive side are not due to complexity of a scheme. These errors are directly related to flat out work ethic. That is something I cannot believe i'm saying. It's piss poor lazy f***ing work ethic. Some of it is because they need a new voice, as proven so many times in this era. Some of it is because Sully really needs to understand his team better. So part of it is schematic. But Sid/Geno/Rust tonight were PATHETIC when it came to defensive awareness. And Letang/Dumo as well. The Pens would look like a decent playoff team if they only fixed that. If they adjusted movement on the PP, similar to what you saw with out PP2 unit, then we become a top half playoff team. If the team f***ing all bought in and supported one another all over the ice, the schematic adjustments were made, and the team stayed healthy... then we would be a top 25% team with a chance to win Lord Stanley.
what sad is the goofs they are making should not be made by a high school team let alone a pro team. they all know better, coach or no coach,

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Pretty much all games we’ve outplayed the opposition more than not.

It’s just our meltdowns are huge at the moment and it’s making it difficult. Cut out the big mistakes and we’d likely be 4-0-0

That is where I stand... can this team tighten it up and play a solid 60 minute game?

4 game streak so far of not being able to do so....

Now with d-men dropping at an unsustainable rate (as usual for the penguins) it will be a hodge podge assembly going forward.... I guess the only thing I expect is up's and down's this season... with the schedule and things going on....

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That is where I stand... can this team tighten it up and play a solid 60 minute game?

Now with d-men dropping at an unsustainable rate (as usual for the penguins) it will be a hodge podge assembly going forward.... I guess the only thing I expect is up's and down's this season... with the schedule and things going on....

The analytics say that too. There can only be 2 reasons huge mistakes leading to high danger chances and/or weak goaltending

From what I see it’s more the mistakes. It’d be nice if the goalies could make more bigger saves but the chances we give up eventually the goals against will pile up.

Reactions: LOGiK

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

some times it takes hard times to get the team to start pulling together. there I always hope.:)

Reactions: LOGiK

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I would down vote this post as far as I possibly could. :laugh: Goldens/labs are my favorite. Had one my entire life. One of the best friends you can have.
Best Friend Ever

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I agree. I’d flip Jake and Zucker with Tanev there bc Tanev is spastic (in a good way) and Jake is very calm and a good playmaker when he’s on.

Zucker has had jump but he and Tanev are kinda similar style wise. Feel like there’d be a better balance skill set wise that way.

Yes. 100%. Yes.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The analytics say that too. There can only be 2 reasons huge mistakes leading to high danger chances and/or weak goaltending

From what I see it’s more the mistakes. It’d be nice if the goalies could make more bigger saves but the chances we give up eventually the goals against will pile up.

Flyers 4th from the bottom?

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think the Penguins just continue to have meltdown syndrome. They play things perfectly for anywhere from 42-52 minutes, but the rest is so objectively bad that they find themselves in a hole. Sometimes that hole is dug by goaltending, sometimes it's dug by momentary lapses of reason, which is also an underrated Pink Floyd album.

Take last night, for instance. With 28 seconds left in the period, Pettersson just waves on a teammate randomly and plods over to the bench at quarter speed. Dumoulin jumps on and is already torched by Wilson by the time he steps on the ice. Why is this happening?

If you took those plays out, they'd be undefeated. If I had hair, I wouldn't be balding. If my dog meowed, it'd be a cat. They kind've are what they are with this. You can see a better defensive team somewhere in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad