Post-Game Talk: Pens/Canes plus/minus 10.28.2013

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Have those "Austin Mahone" McDonald's commercials basically been sapping the life force of anyone else? I already have the volume very low because of Steigy but now I just have it on straight-up mute. Just ****ing demoralizing.

I put "Austin Mahone" in quotes because I'm not convinced that he is a thing that exists.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
If Megna can bring the same type of game he did yesterday, I all of a sudden really like our 3rd line. It looks like Kobasew is starting to cool off a little (and now is hurt). D'Agostino looks like hot garbage. Bennett-Sutter-Megna could have a nice look to it. Speedy, smart, and defensively responsible.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Have those "Austin Mahone" McDonald's commercials basically been sapping the life force of anyone else? I already have the volume very low because of Steigy but now I just have it on straight-up mute. Just ****ing demoralizing.

I put "Austin Mahone" in quotes because I'm not convinced that he is a thing that exists.

Yes...not sure how many more I can take.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

I had been relegated to using the mute button during every commercial break now because of that. And of course, every single time that I forget to use mute, that idiotic commercial comes on at full blast like a rusty knife driven into my eye.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011

God I hate those. Whoever that kid is, he can't act and has no comedic timing.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If Megna can bring the same type of game he did yesterday, I all of a sudden really like our 3rd line. It looks like Kobasew is starting to cool off a little (and now is hurt). D'Agostino looks like hot garbage. Bennett-Sutter-Megna could have a nice look to it. Speedy, smart, and defensively responsible.

If being the operative word here obviously, but outside of enjoying the hell out Crosby's game defining moments, Megna really did look very good in this game. I suppose one can at least be hopeful that it wasn't a mirage.... we've seen Conner be very good also a few years back with Letestu and Kennedy.... but Megna has some jam to go along with his apparent skill, and he could be a player.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
-Dupuis is back to full on no hands. The dude is just hacking and whacking the puck around the ice.

-Other than the goal, Kunitz sucked as well. He really hasn't been very good this entire season.

+Sid for being really good at hockey
-Sid for the several give aways in the neutral zone and being careless with the puck

- Geno: I am going to continue giving Geno a minus until he plays like we know he can. Yeah linemates and juggling, but he needs to wake up.

+Megna is really exciting to watch. I hope this is a sign of things to come for this kid.

--Letang: he is so frustrating to watch. So much talent, so many stupid, stupid plays. I am grateful that we have him on the team, but I really don't like him as a player.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jiggy, how dare you compare Kate Upton to TK!

I agree on the Sutter hate. I feel like I'm watching a different game than this board 99x out of 100.

Megs did alright. I agree that trying a Megna, Sutter, BB line (when he's healthy) could be interesting.

JJ/Sid/Dupes
Kunitz/Malkin/Neal

Would make for an interesting top 6

Sutter has two boat anchors on his hips right now, so I'm not expecting much offensively.

He is playing his role well and I think by the end of the year he will make his mark on this team.

And again, I appreciate all that Staal did to help this team win a cup, but he looks like a U-Haul trying to stop and turn on the ice. He also was never a guy who played with much fire in his belly either, so why does Sutter have to suddenly be this balls to the walls guy every shift to replace him?

What they lost in size with Staal, they gained in speed and playmaking with Sutter. But the guy needs wingers to dish to. If Malkin is struggling with decent wingers, how can we expect Sutter to light it up with two coal miners?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sutter has two boat anchors on his hips right now, so I'm not expecting much offensively.

He is playing his role well and I think by the end of the year he will make his mark on this team.

And again, I appreciate all that Staal did to help this team win a cup, but he looks like a U-Haul trying to stop and turn on the ice. He also was never a guy who played with much fire in his belly either, so why does Sutter have to suddenly be this balls to the walls guy every shift to replace him?

What they lost in size with Staal, they gained in speed and playmaking with Sutter. But the guy needs wingers to dish to. If Malkin is struggling with decent wingers, how can we expect Sutter to light it up with two coal miners?

I agreed with every point you made and i'm not trying to harp on Sutter - but he's a worthless player and extremely replaceable at this point. The guy has over 300 games in the NHL, right? He's supposed to be growing into a player that we heard about. He regressed if anything.

I think his skill is there but he's laughable, at best, in the corners and when he needs to fight in a battle. He's one of the players I want to love, but since last year has grown on my bad side. He's so useless right now for the Pens.

But I'm not like some of the debbie downers here. I know he can elevate his game. When he does - it's exactly what we need. But MY expectations are a lot higher for his game right now.

And side note - what makes Bort/Maatta so good? I cannot figure out their chemistry. But both players look tremendous when paired. It's like peanut butter and jelly.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agreed with every point you made and i'm not trying to harp on Sutter - but he's a worthless player and extremely replaceable at this point. The guy has over 300 games in the NHL, right? He's supposed to be growing into a player that we heard about. He regressed if anything.

I think his skill is there but he's laughable, at best, in the corners and when he needs to fight in a battle. He's one of the players I want to love, but since last year has grown on my bad side. He's so useless right now for the Pens.

But I'm not like some of the debbie downers here. I know he can elevate his game. When he does - it's exactly what we need. But MY expectations are a lot higher for his game right now.

And side note - what makes Bort/Maatta so good? I cannot figure out their chemistry. But both players look tremendous when paired. It's like peanut butter and jelly.

I think the strength of his game is his defensive acumen, speed, playmaking and in the dot. I don't expect him to be a beast along the boards like Staal was. That really isn't his game and I knew that already and hopefully Shero did as well.

His biggest strength is his playmaking, but he doesn't have anyone to dish to or work with. The shifts he's taken with the likes of BB and even Megna last night, you can see those guys pace him much better than grinders with stone hands who have no sense of give and gos, finding gaps, etc.

Sutter isn't Joel Otto or Bobby Holik. He's more of a defensive wiz with skill, but he needs skilled players to bring out his best, just like Malkin.

As for Bort/Maatta, it's a real shame it took an injury to Scuds to get them back together.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

You can biscuit those pretty easily by DVRing the game. They do give this a run for it's money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TABnpp7zXLU

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Who knew that the worst part of losing Talbot would be the absence of his "superstar" commercials??

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No... one backhand flip area pass from Beau is more impressive than Megnatron killing it last night. Beau has more skill and game than JM at this point. But it's one game. Let's see how it all plays out.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Sorry Cole, but that is an overstatement so grotesque as to be unbecoming.

That was never what Sutter was particularly good at, even if again you overstate the case by an order of magnitude. He gives us a very smart defensive game in the middle of the ice, good skating and decent offensive abilities in transition. If those abilities are not what you want to measure him by, he is never going to look more than below average.

He has however dialed up his physicality big time, he has improved his faceoff results even more so, and he is the only top9 player on this team not to register a give away yet. I mean, since we disagree so much on the eye test.

Sutter is out there to contain opposition and that he does very well. Additionally he should contribute offensively from time to time, and that is likely going to happen when he has some support other than call ups and guys hardly any teams wanted.

But I'm not like some of the debbie downers here.

Oh, in this case I should say calling him worthless and extremely replaceable would be just down the debbie downer alley, more so as Sutter played a fine game against the Canes.

Of course you can. It is a righty and lefty, both with enough physical ability as well as hockey ability that they can trust each other while also having eachother's backs. You have the anticipation of Maatta, you have the snarl of Bortuzzo, both of them are unsure enough of their positions that they rarely ever slack while both of them are ambitious and young enough that they jump into offensive plays whenever they can. Just like the Despres/Bortuzzo duo we all wanted last year, this duo has the complementing qualities we should be always desirous to put together.

ObsessedCreative*

If being the operative word here obviously, but outside of enjoying the hell out Crosby's game defining moments, Megna really did look very good in this game. I suppose one can at least be hopeful that it wasn't a mirage.... we've seen Conner be very good also a few years back with Letestu and Kennedy.... but Megna has some jam to go along with his apparent skill, and he could be a player.

And the craziest / most important thing of all is it seems Disco actually has a little bit of a chub for the kid as well so maybe he will actually get a fair shake.

So very rare to see Bylsma like a guy who is rather skilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->