TSN: Pens believed to have interest in Howie

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Hell for a first they can have nyquist and Howard. All though even at 50% salary retained they prolly cant afford the contracts. Always nice to dream.

I would take their 2nd and 3rd for howard. If they're not quite stupid enough to dump their first.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I like seeing interest drum up for Howard. It's making me think someone might actually over pay vs just buy.

Still thinking Calgary is the best option for him, them, and the Red Wings. Hoping for a defensive prospect and 2nd/3rd round pick for whoever trades for him. I'm not expecting an outright first round pick unless there's a stipulation of a Stanley cup appearance/win or something.

It's good all the way around imo, Howards got a real shot for success and cup contention(not favorites or anything) with the Flames vs being/finishing a Red Wing or going to the Blue... Penguins might be the best option to win for him personally to win but I don't think they have enough money to satisfy him long-term like Calgary would, and be competitive. I also think Calgary is willing to give up more for Howard cause they're real desperate to own western Canada and get back into the playoffs with the door as wide open as it is for them.

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Hell for a first they can have nyquist and Howard. All though even at 50% salary retained they prolly cant afford the contracts. Always nice to dream.

I would take their 2nd and 3rd for howard. If they're not quite stupid enough to dump their first.

I'm thinking Nyquist could garner a 1st at the deadline by himself, so I'm gonna pass on him as a throw in with Howard.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

That's a terrible dream.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Is Howard even on the block? I'm all for trading him, but with DET in the playoff hunt, does Holland want to trade his (so far anyways) best goalie?

Reactions: 14ari13

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Is Howard even on the block? I'm all for trading him, but with DET in the playoff hunt, does Holland want to trade his (so far anyways) best goalie?
We are realistically not going to make the playoffs, regardless of how well we are currently doing. So anytime you have expiring contracts, you have to get value for them when you are in a rebuild. And even if we make the playoffs we aren't going to get past the first round, so losing Nyquist and Howard for a first round playoff loss and hampering our ability to have a better rebuild is just not in the best interest of the team.

But hey...it's Holland. So all bets are off.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

A first for Nyquist AND Howard? I'm hoping for a 1st for each.

Reactions: golffuul

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I'm all for trading him, but with DET in the playoff hunt

uTG.gif

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I don't think Holland wants to trade him even if (when) we fall out of the playoff hunt. I think he will move him for the right offer, but it seems he will only do so if its one of those out of the park, no brainer kind of trades.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think Holland wants to trade him even if (when) we fall out of the playoff hunt. I think he will move him for the right offer, but it seems he will only do so if its one of those out of the park, no brainer kind of trades.

As it well should be. They aren't in a position where they NEED NEED NEED to trade him. And honestly, they're kind of at a position in the rebuild where we need high draft picks. They need more than a $2 lottery scratcher for him. Like yeah, another 3rd or 4th round pick would be another asset... but realistically, what's the chances that guy turns into something that is a legit future for Detroit? As opposed to the effect that destabilizing the goaltending enough to potentially disrupt the development of our younger players?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I've been thinking on this and came up with an idea:

Howard @ 50% + DET/NYI 2rd

for

Pens 1st

Conditions on the picks : If Pens make playoffs Wings decide what pick to send ( NYI or DET 2rd)
If Pens miss playoffs they decide the pick (NYI or DET 2rd)
1st is unprotected.

Pros Wings:
It's a trade up from the second round that has a good chance at being in the 18-28 range with potential to be a steal if the Pens miss the playoffs. The 1st is unprotected.

Cons Wings:
It could be a small move up if NYI and DET finish poorly and the Pens go deep.

Pens Pros: They get a capable starter in Howard and mitigate the loss of a 1st by acquiring a second

Pens Cons: Howard has injury issues that could sideline him for awhile.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Their is just no way detroit trades Howard before two things happen;
It's the trade deadline day,
We're out of the playoff picture convincingly

Howard is a loyal foot soldier, drafted and developed here who is having a solid season, which is helping some of the young guys have good seasons thus far.

You don't tease that away... yet

If he is moved its in late February for a 2nd rd pick and then brought back in July on a new three year deal

Reactions: Red Winger 87

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've been thinking on this and came up with an idea:

Howard @ 50% + DET/NYI 2rd

for

Pens 1st

Conditions on the picks : If Pens make playoffs Wings decide what pick to send ( NYI or DET 2rd)
If Pens miss playoffs they decide the pick (NYI or DET 2rd)
1st is unprotected.

Pros Wings:
It's a trade up from the second round that has a good chance at being in the 18-28 range with potential to be a steal if the Pens miss the playoffs. The 1st is unprotected.

Cons Wings:
It could be a small move up if NYI and DET finish poorly and the Pens go deep.

Pens Pros: They get a capable starter in Howard and mitigate the loss of a 1st by acquiring a second

Pens Cons: Howard has injury issues that could sideline him for awhile.
Either 2nd pick would be overpayment...Pens are the desperate team, not us...as mentioned, Jimmy is stabilizing the team, kids building confidence to play their game etc. Barring overpayment for Howard, he should be kept til or near the TDL. We can always resign him 7-1-19, I'm sure he'd love to come back & help us back into the playoffs in '19-'20 and/or '20-21. Without him, this could easily turn into the Edmonton/Buffalo & other teams LONG "rebuild". I say this as someone who has wanted to trade Howard for 3-5 yrs. I bet KH & co. agree.

counterproposal: Howard (50%) for Pens 1st (unprotected) & Sprong/Oleksiak?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Max Bultman had an article about Howard today on The Athletic. Basically pointing out the value of trading a goalie is highest now, while teams are trying to get into the playoffs.

Reactions: Reddwit

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I could definitely see a trade involving Howard having conditions similar to Mrazek next year.

Trade him to the Pens, and the better they/he do, the more assets we get. If he plays a week and pulls his groin to never come back, we dont get much. If he wins a cup with them, we get a ton. That would be fair to both sides.

Reactions: lilidk and golffuul

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I could definitely see a trade involving Howard having conditions similar to Mrazek next year.

Trade him to the Pens, and the better they/he do, the more assets we get. If he plays a week and pulls his groin to never come back, we dont get much. If he wins a cup with them, we get a ton. That would be fair to both sides.
We have the time & leverage to not have those conditions put on their offer, especially the "if he gets injured" one. That is a prime example of opportunity cost.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Max Bultman had an article about Howard today on The Athletic. Basically pointing out the value of trading a goalie is highest now, while teams are trying to get into the playoffs.

And he is absolutely right. Howard's value is not going to go up between now and the trade deadline. Waiting for the deadline shrinks an already small market. Holland, however, won't even think about moving Jimmy until we are clearly, clearly out of it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
We have the time & leverage to not have those conditions put on their offer, especially the "if he gets injured" one. That is a prime example of opportunity cost.

To be fair, nobody knows the actual leverage held by the Wings outside of the GM's as its all directly linked to how bad teams like Pit/St.L actually want him. I admit the perception created by the media points to that, but who knows what other teams actually think of Howard.

If you are asking me if I would prefer not to put those provisions in, sure, I'm a Wings fan with a bias who wants the Wings to win the trade lol. If I am being honest though, the more I think about it, I have a feeling other teams are not clamoring to throw a first at us for a goaltender who gets injured every single year. If its 1st with a contingency or a low pick, I choose a 1st with a contingency as I assume you would as well.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
And he is absolutely right. Howard's value is not going to go up between now and the trade deadline. Waiting for the deadline shrinks an already small market. Holland, however, won't even think about moving Jimmy until we are clearly, clearly out of it.

That's a tough one with that particular position. A couple key goalies go down just before the TDL, his value sky rockets. Nobody goes down or he gets injured, his value plummets.

Its so fickle with goaltenders.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Their is just no way detroit trades Howard before two things happen;
It's the trade deadline day,
We're out of the playoff picture convincingly

Howard is a loyal foot soldier, drafted and developed here who is having a solid season, which is helping some of the young guys have good seasons thus far.

You don't tease that away... yet

If he is moved its in late February for a 2nd rd pick and then brought back in July on a new three year deal
Very valid points...My only concern is - if Holland does decide to try, and move Jimmy - will he be healthy?

Seems like last season was 1 of a very few in his career that he wasn't injured by December/January...Then he comes back in rough shape.

Good luck moving him then :ha:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad