TSN: Pens believed to have interest in Howie

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre-five-goaltenders-who-could-be-on-the-move-1.1217436

"The Blues are reportedly sniffing around Detroit’s Jimmy Howard, but they may not be alone. The Pittsburgh Penguins are very much in ‘win now’ mode, are believed to have interest, and, unlike the Blues, the Pens have a first-round pick to dangle."

It would have to come at a premium, as I loathe the thought of the Pens winning a cup in my lifetime, or even after I'm gone. Even worse would be giving them help to do it.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This is already covered in the stl eying Howie thread.
Not sure where you're seeing that, because I just looked at pgs. 4&5 of the STL/Howard thread & there's no such link or post...every page before that was prior to 2pm EST, which was when TSN posted the Pens rumor/speculation.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not sure where you're seeing that, because I just looked at pgs. 4&5 of the STL/Howard thread & there's no such link or post...every page before that was prior to 2pm EST, which was when TSN posted the Pens rumor/speculation.
It should go in that thread. You mentioned Carolina in there. There's no point of another thread talking about essentially the same topic.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
My dream scenario: Trade Howard to Pittsburgh for a first. Howard promptly has his annual midseason injury. Comes back after a month and sucks post injury as always. Pittsburgh misses the playoffs. Their pick wins the lotto. Spend the summer gleefully giggling like a child whilst trolling pens fans.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
My dream scenario: Trade Howard to Pittsburgh for a first. Howard promptly has his annual midseason injury. Comes back after a month and sucks post injury as always. Pittsburgh misses the playoffs. Their pick wins the lotto. Spend
Ahahahha. That would be hilarious if Pens gave us Hughes for 3 months of Howard. 2009 pay back.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My dream scenario: Trade Howard to Pittsburgh for a first. Howard promptly has his annual midseason injury. Comes back after a month and sucks post injury as always. Pittsburgh misses the playoffs. Their pick wins the lotto. Spend the summer gleefully giggling like a child whilst trolling pens fans.
As Keats says to Mick, "you sir, are a beauty"...this was exactly my thought. I'll add that in 2 years we enter the playoffs as a Wildcard and sweep the Pens in the 1st rd. in their last playoff appearance (with this core), & Crysby does what he does best, cries. We have 3 SO's & they only score 1 goal, late in the 4th game. SI captures the moment & coins the cover "The Agony of defeat, Pt.II. Pens never makes the playoffs the rest of Crysby/Malkin/Letang/Kessel/Hornquist's career.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would be interested getting Murray to Red Wings on that Jimmy deal. He has struggled could rebuild his confidence slowly without that "win-now"-mentality.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

And then we re-sign Howard on a cheap 2 yr deal in the offseason :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, if trading Howard can net us another 1st and help our own draft picks be as high as possible, I am ALL over that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Who would give up a first for Howard?

A playoff team like Pittsburgh could finish off with a 26th and later pick, that isn't that much to give up if you think it helps you have a chance at a Cup. Most picks in this range, either don't make it, or are Riley Sheahan like, which is a very small price to pay. We overate picks a lot on the internet, when GMs will look at where the pick actually is, rather than that it technically says 1st round pick.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Who would give up a first for Howard?

Well like it was quoted in the OP, the article specifically mentions Philly and Pittsburgh being interested in Howard, and that the Pens have a 1st to dangle. Also the section about Howard mentions Holland holding out for a 1st.

It's not that hard to believe in Pittsburgh's case. As long as they have elite Crosby and Malkin they are in win now mode. And with the team struggling, with a large part of that being due to the goaltending, having a goalie that will help them back into the playoff race may be worth a 1st. There's the old Holland adage that you never know what will happen in the playoffs, and on a team with Crosby and Malkin that definitely rings true. But you don't have that chance if you don't make the playoffs, hence the 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc and KJoe88

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Well Holmgren is known for making weird choices... So maybe Phi.

I don't see why Pitts would be a buyer for a G at all. But hey maybe smoke... fire?

St.L has no 1st, but id take a prospect or a 2nd.
Murray has been terrible and has dealt with injury as well.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI

Then imagine our 1st ends up also being a top three pick as well.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

I'd like to see him get a cup, but that's cool too

Reactions: Syckle78

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
You trade Howard with on a sliding scale return. The deeper the team goes into the playoffs, the higher the pick in return. If they make the conference finals, it is a 1st.

Reactions: avssuc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad