Post-Game Talk: Pens beat CBJ 4-3, clinch series (4-2), advance to face winner of NYR/PHI, series +/-

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's kinda sad that this series was the first series he has had above a .900 save% since the cup win against Detroit in 2009. 6 series in between where he had below a .900 save%. It's great to see him playing well now, but I'm going to wait before I say he has put his demons behind him.

I want the Flyers for the 2nd round just because I want to see Crosby and Malkin past their demons as well.

It's nice Dubinsky tried his best to piss off Crosby and it didn't work (or it did?) but if Sid and the rest of the team can keep their composure and destroy the Flyers, I think this team has "it" to make it back.

I see the Flyers as the biggest test, no team gets under the Pens skin better than them, if the Pens survive that, bring on the Bruins.

penguins2946*

Fleury's contract is done after next year. If they re-sign him after this postseason due to this postseason, I'm going to be very upset. 1 good to great round (his stats would be better had the Pens played non-ass D) does not erase the 6 series of failure before it.

I want the Flyers for the 2nd round just because I want to see Crosby and Malkin past their demons as well.

It's nice Dubinsky tried his best to piss off Crosby and it didn't work (or it did?) but if Sid and the rest of the team can keep their composure and destroy the Flyers, I think this team has "it" to make it back.

I see the Flyers as the biggest test, no team gets under the Pens skin better than them, if the Pens survive that, bring on the Bruins.

Before the playoffs, I would call you crazy. However, everyone minus Crosby (and Neal) is playing extremely well right now. They have the good enough depth, goaltending and defense (specifically after Martin got our with Letang) to go far. They just need Sid and Geno to produce. People counting out the Pens already (a ton of HFers) are going to eat crow.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It's kinda sad that this series was the first series he has had above a .900 save% since the cup win against Detroit in 2009. 6 series in between where he had below a .900 save%. It's great to see him playing well now, but I'm going to wait before I say he has put his demons behind him.

Especially if they play Philly next series, and Simmonds and Hartnell are in his face without any repercussions.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fleury's contract is done after next year. If they re-sign him after this postseason due to this postseason, I'm going to be very upset. 1 good to great round (his stats would be better had the Pens played non-ass D) does not erase the 6 series of failure before it.

For me, it depends on how well MAF plays after this 1st round, if he continues to play well and only loses because the offense doesn't get its act together and the defense absolutely hangs him out to dry while he plays well, I think he's earned another playoffs to prove what he can do, hopefully with a different coach at the helm and a system that isn't absent as the Penguins' currently is.

For me, the Flyers would be that series where I think if MAF can keep his cool as well, play well, put up very good numbers and be a guy that helps set the tone with huge and timely saves...you have to get passed the last 4yrs as the basis for "we want him gone" because no one gives as many excuses as Sid & Geno get, for Fleury. Which is incredibly unfair and well, shows how unfairly we treat MAF as a fan base as well.

Before the playoffs, I would call you crazy. However, everyone minus Crosby (and Neal) is playing extremely well right now. They have the good enough depth, goaltending and defense (specifically after Martin got our with Letang) to go far. They just need Sid and Geno to produce. People counting out the Pens already (a ton of HFers) are going to eat crow.

I was really hoping the Rangers & Flyers series went to 7, if Sutter and Vitale can get the time to heal, awesome. The Pens need Sutter big time, weird to even say that, really.

It's funny how many people kept saying Scuderi was a huge need (I am in the boat of hell no) and when Letang is with Martin, he's the Letang we all love to watch. Scuderi was never the right partner for Letang, at any point, for the long term. Hell, Scuderi's best partner ever was Hal freakin' Gill, a guy that moved like a Semi-Truck carrying a massive load.

Scuderi is great with Bortuzzo, as a shutdown guy, there is no way on earth he should be with any kind of PMD, he needs a guy that moves at the pace he does, does the same sort of thing he does, be a shut down guy and with a shut down partner...

But yeah, Sid needs to get going, but this year, the Pens are getting depth scoring, I find that was more of a problem last year in the Boston series, than anything else, well besides Bylsma playing right into Julien's match-ups.

Sid needs to get going.

Malkin just did, in a very big way.

When you have guys like Jokinen, Bennett, Sutter, Kunitz, Gibbons, and now Malkin all producing...then you finally have the best player in the world, scoring goals, **** just gets a little more interesting with the haters.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Especially if they play Philly next series, and Simmonds and Hartnell are in his face without any repercussions.

It depends on Bylsma realizing Orpik does jack **** to move guys like that out, while a guy like Bortuzzo would keep them a little more honest. I would also scratch Glass and play Engelland on the 4th line in that series, having a guy that is fairly good in that role that can also play defense on the PK to help clear the crease, wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Also, if Philthy tries anything, you have Bortz and Engo ready to rumble.

Also, I just really don't want to see Orpik ever dress for the Pens ever again. I mean, pink shirt and pink tie? Who dressed him? Fat Tony?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was really hoping the Rangers & Flyers series went to 7, if Sutter and Vitale can get the time to heal, awesome. The Pens need Sutter big time, weird to even say that, really.

Kinda looking like you'll be getting your wish, as far as that is concerned.

Though there is still enough time for the Flyers to pull a Penguins.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pens have been their own worst enemy. Along with system issues I think the players have been way too confident. Winning at such young ages, expecting to get by on that talent and continue the success. THe Montreal series did nothing in changing that, they chalked it up to running into a hot goalie. Next year was injuries. Then came the Flyers series, which totally caught them off guard and they didn't know how to respond. But probably wrote that off as a division rival who got the best of them.

Last year, with the moves they made there's no doubt they believed they'd go all the way. Never playing Boston, they certainly didn't expect that. So once again, caught off guard. Not prepared to handle adversity because of their own confidence.

My point to all of this is , I don't look at beating the Flyers as them " exercising their demons" and helping them play the Bruins. I hope by now they've learned their lesson and have gotten past their worst enemies already. Not needing to get by anyone to help them later on, but using what they've learned going into those series' and getting back to what we saw in 09. Because I don't think beating the Flyers would help them against the Bruins anyways. Those losses weren't similar. Anyways, there's no more surprises ..they've seen the Flyers, Rangers, Bruins, and Habs..no more excuses. That applies to the team, and to the FO. No cup "should" mean no more chances for Bylsma/system.

Now with all of that said about the team being too confident, the flipside to that coin is Fleury. That is where the exorcism will be needed. So yeah, beating the Flyers would for sure help him going forward.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So many are lucky...

• Lucky to be playing behind one of the best defensive teams (Rask)
  • Lucky to have a team that got a really weak opponent (Price)

Sometimes, I feel for MAF, it seems like every other goaltender has a book as thick as the Encyclopedia, filled with excuses, except Fleury.

Lundqvist can suck in the playoffs, same for Hiller, Mason, or anyone for that matter...but if Fleury sucks, we gotta ship him out because he's garbage. It's not like he's ever proven to be better than he's been in the playoffs...unlike those other goaltenders.

Even Roy had some garbage years in the playoffs, same for Brodeur and Hasek and they were on teams that were defense oriented and with some HHOF defensemen in front of them. And no, I am not putting him on that level, just saying even the best have problems, so why couldn't someone that's pretty good?

Price's SV% is worse than Fleury's...no one is batting an eye lash about that. Apparently he's still leagues above Fleury...god knows why.

Fleury has been better than Quick, Miller, and a few others. Guys that people here are having raging ****** for as "I wish we had..."

I mean give me a break, Pens don't play a better defensive oriented hockey game than the Blues or Kings and look at their numbers, worse Save Percentage than Fleury.

Opponents wise?

I would wager the Jackets left every ounce of effort they had, on the table as a team that was desperate to make a mark, a team more desperate than the Sharks, Hawks, or otherwise.

I am going to give the CBJ a boat load of credit here, they were an unreal first round opponent, if the Pens see that as a huge hurdle (which they should), they should be able to do well against the rest.

Bruins, again, being the only measuring stick in the East.
Why are you only comparing Fleury to other goalies this year? Fleury's pattern of playoff failures goes back four years. Compare his career SA% to Quick, Miller, Hiller, etc.

I don't think Columbus deserves any more credit than the Islanders did last year.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Why are you only comparing Fleury to other goalies this year? Fleury's pattern of playoff failures goes back four years. Compare his career SA% to Quick, Miller, Hiller, etc.

I don't think Columbus deserves any more credit than the Islanders did last year.

I'll agree with this. Just like the with the Isles last year, the Pens' winning is secondary, if that. The fact that the Jackets won two OT games including one gift from Fleury coupled with a bad bounce, and all of a sudden they're the greatest thing and hot new topic.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

It'll be more than that. Rinaldo will be allowed to run free, and when our PP craps the bed, the refs won't want to call anything on them anymore and they'll be able to hack and slash away, and the injuries will mount again.

The Flyers can play like barbarians against us, when they can't get away with that against other teams.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
what an upgrade for Vitale! :laugh:

But I think having both of them on the same line would defeat the "shoot more" purpose.

So try:

Kunitz - Vitale - Crosby
Bennett - Goc - Malkin
Jokinen - Sutter - Neal

!!!!
:D

The opposition's left D would be exhausted.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
what an upgrade for Vitale! :laugh:

But I think having both of them on the same line would defeat the "shoot more" purpose.

So try:

Kunitz - Vitale - Crosby
Bennett - Goc - Malkin
Jokinen - Sutter - Neal

!!!!
We have wingers finally!! :D

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So many are lucky...

Sometimes, I feel for MAF, it seems like every other goaltender has a book as thick as the Encyclopedia, filled with excuses, except Fleury.

Lundqvist can suck in the playoffs, same for Hiller, Mason, or anyone for that matter...but if Fleury sucks, we gotta ship him out because he's garbage. It's not like he's ever proven to be better than he's been in the playoffs...unlike those other goaltenders.

Even Roy had some garbage years in the playoffs, same for Brodeur and Hasek and they were on teams that were defense oriented and with some HHOF defensemen in front of them. And no, I am not putting him on that level, just saying even the best have problems, so why couldn't someone that's pretty good?

Price's SV% is worse than Fleury's...no one is batting an eye lash about that. Apparently he's still leagues above Fleury...god knows why.

Fleury has been better than Quick, Miller, and a few others. Guys that people here are having raging ****** for as "I wish we had..."

I mean give me a break, Pens don't play a better defensive oriented hockey game than the Blues or Kings and look at their numbers, worse Save Percentage than Fleury.

Opponents wise?

I would wager the Jackets left every ounce of effort they had, on the table as a team that was desperate to make a mark, a team more desperate than the Sharks, Hawks, or otherwise.

I am going to give the CBJ a boat load of credit here, they were an unreal first round opponent, if the Pens see that as a huge hurdle (which they should), they should be able to do well against the rest.

Is this real life :laugh:

Fleury has earned every bit of criticism thrown at him. He has sucked for 4 straight playoffs. And his suckage has been really bad. Sure maybe people should give him more credit this year for his play (I guess), but until all those other goalies score several goals on themselves that lead to losses in consecutive playoffs, there is no comparison.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
For me, it depends on how well MAF plays after this 1st round, if he continues to play well and only loses because the offense doesn't get its act together and the defense absolutely hangs him out to dry while he plays well, I think he's earned another playoffs to prove what he can do, hopefully with a different coach at the helm and a system that isn't absent as the Penguins' currently is.

For me, the Flyers would be that series where I think if MAF can keep his cool as well, play well, put up very good numbers and be a guy that helps set the tone with huge and timely saves...you have to get passed the last 4yrs as the basis for "we want him gone" because no one gives as many excuses as Sid & Geno get, for Fleury. Which is incredibly unfair and well, shows how unfairly we treat MAF as a fan base as well.

Where are you coming up with this ****? Fleury has gotten every excuse in the book over and over and over again. He has been absolutely brutal for 4 straight playoffs and he is still the team's starting goaltender. I can't think of another player given that much rope.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
So many are lucky...

Opponents wise?

I was referring to that one save in particular, not his play as a whole.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I'm just glad I don't have to listen to the Columbus feed anymore and hear them say "listen to this crowd. the 5th line is carrying them" 80 times a game. And then Jody Shelley go "guys you should listen to the crowd down here, it's deafening". We get it, the crowd is into it. Now announce the damn game.

Wait until the NHL sees Winnipeg in the playoffs. It's freaking loud now. It'll blow Columbus out of the water.

I agree with what people say here. Just want them to destroy Philthy/Rags.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014

It's funny how many people kept saying Scuderi was a huge need (I am in the boat of hell no) and when Letang is with Martin, he's the Letang we all love to watch. Scuderi was never the right partner for Letang, at any point, for the long term. Hell, Scuderi's best partner ever was Hal freakin' Gill, a guy that moved like a Semi-Truck carrying a massive load.

Scuderi is great with Bortuzzo, as a shutdown guy, there is no way on earth he should be with any kind of PMD, he needs a guy that moves at the pace he does, does the same sort of thing he does, be a shut down guy and with a shut down partner...

But yeah, Sid needs to get going, but this year, the Pens are getting depth scoring, I find that was more of a problem last year in the Boston series, than anything else, well besides Bylsma playing right into Julien's match-ups.

Sid needs to get going.

Malkin just did, in a very big way.

When you have guys like Jokinen, Bennett, Sutter, Kunitz, Gibbons, and now Malkin all producing...then you finally have the best player in the world, scoring goals, **** just gets a little more interesting with the haters.

Your comment about Borts is an insult to Borts. Borts can pass, skate, box out, play more physical than scuds ever could. Scuds is a slow moving stick checker nothing more nothing less. Just watch him play for proof.

A great race would be Doug Murray, Hal Gill, and Scuds. I wonder who would win.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wait until the NHL sees Winnipeg in the playoffs. It's freaking loud now. It'll blow Columbus out of the water.

I agree with what people say here. Just want them to destroy Philthy/Rags.

For sure and I am very glad the crowd was loud and they were excited. My annoyance came from the announcers bringing it up after every whistle. They talked about the crowd more than the team's play on the ice.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
+ Adams. Adams didn't go full adams. Hes a 4th liner that makes less then a million. he does his job

+ Strategical Orpik injury (IM SORRY) Orpik was good. and very VERY important in are cup run. But his game isn't getting better with age I apologize

+ Bylsma coached okay.

-Crosby not being a beast (as long as he becomes a beast in important series)

-Glass need I say more

-Scuds look at above

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad