Confirmed with Link: Pens Acquire Oleksiak for 2019 4th (Conditional)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'll need to see him over 10-20 games to get a good idea of how he breaks the puck out. Consider that he's in a brand new system with new partners and he has no idea yet where forwards are likely to be.

It's going to take time before he's comfortable. It's hard to break the puck out effectively when you need to think about where guys are gonna be on the ice.

Ya it’s a possible explanation, but he had guys hitting open gaps and had his head down on 3-4 different ocassions and completely missed them.

Wasn’t encouraging to see, but again we’ll see how it goes.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
He showed that he has the ability to be a regular. The first step East/west looked a little slow, which could get him in trouble against faster teams or against other teams top lines. To be expected for a big heavy guy, inertia and all. Give him a sheltered role to start and go from there.

Funny thing is, he wasn't sheltered last night. In all situations, his zone starts were: 5 in the offensive zone, 9 in the neutral zone, and 8 in the defensive end. He also played the fourth most minutes among the defensemen, whether you're looking at all situations or just even-strength. The three forwards he was on the ice against the most were Calvert, Foligno and Bjorkstrand, with Atkinson and Panarin not far behind them. Granted, he didn't get any real PK time (4 seconds doesn't really count). So he really wasn't sheltered very much.

He really did pretty well, under the circumstances. Especially since he's still learning the system and his teammates. There's enough there to think he could work out fine for the Pens in the long run.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
God I'm so desperate. I saw the "confirmed with link" tag on a thread near the top and got excited.

Can we all agree to stop bumping these old trade threads to prevent heart attacks?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My secondary criticism of Oleksiak in addition to his not moving his feet enough is that he's too upright. Guys can get under him when he tries to pin or check them.

Simple stuff but like if you haven't learned this by 25 when will you?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well, no matter what i like having a 6foot7 option as an extra than smurfs like Ruh/Hunwick.
He may find his footing here or he may not...hope for the best for him,

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's Meh... so far. Nothing that really help or hurt us that much. 4th round pick so whatever.

He may be the least uninspiring of JR's signings or trades in the last 6 months.

EDIT: Dear god, can that actually be true? :cry:

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
He may be the least uninspiring of JR's signings or trades in the last 6 months.

EDIT: Dear god, can that actually be true? :cry:

That's a good way to put it, 'least uninspiring'. There haven't been any good trades this year by JR, just degrees of bad unfortunately.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
His play in the O zone is at least encouraging though. When he gets the puck he makes good decisions with it. He moves around and makes himself available for the cycling forwards.

Confusing that they put him on that makeshift 1st PP unit and then played him in a spot where he couldn't use his shot.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
His play in the O zone is at least encouraging though. When he gets the puck he makes good decisions with it. He moves around and makes himself available for the cycling forwards.

Confusing that they put him on that makeshift 1st PP unit and then played him in a spot where he couldn't use his shot.
yep! the only 2 places he should be on the pp is at the point for his shot.....or in front of the net using his size and slick hands.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I'm liking Oleksiak's offensive side. He's got a low hard wrister that he snaps off very quickly. He looks comfortable with the puck. He moves pretty good for a big man, walks the line well, has his head up, puck loaded, has looked for players to deflect his shots. Hard to judge him defensively as of yet, I'll give him more time but for now you can see he DEFINITELY has the tools.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd rather see him on the LD side, then get a more competent RD and you have 3 strong pairs, well 2 and potentially 3 depending on what kind of hair product Letang uses that allows him to actually focus.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

t6a7CPD.png

"Coaching"

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If they ever get healthy and i believe a Cole trade is coming, i believe they go something like:

Dumo-Tang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Oleksiak/Ruh

They may go Maatta-Ruh cuz they seemed to like that pairing alot.
That would leave Hunwick/Oleksiak-Schultz

One thing to seriously consider if this is a full re-tool non-playoff year is maximising your return via an Olli trade and resigning Cole but as of right now i see Cole goin'.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hunwick needs to be gone as well, dude is just flat out terrible outside of a brief moment he wasn't.

Oleksiak should be back on the LD.

Dumo-Shit for brains
Maatta, Schultz
Oleksiak, Ruhwedel/Corrado/Veteran pickup.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Hunwick needs to be gone as well, dude is just flat out terrible outside of a brief moment he wasn't.

Dumo-**** for brains
Maatta, Schultz
You missed trotman

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Dumo-**** for brains
Maatta, Schultz

Who's **** for brains? Can't be Letang . . . he's not that smart.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->