Post-Game Talk: Pens 7, Ducks 4: So @ColePens Wrote, So It Came to Pass . . . Until Geno Defied The Sacred Scrolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I liked Cooke as a hockey player, he was a good player. Dirty as hell but could play the game. He did strike me as a weasel though. When Fleury would prank ex-teammates it came across as natural and fun. When Cooke did it, it just seemed forced and try hard. There's just something about him.... I got the same feeling from Orpik too way back during that Chasing the Dream show when he was in WBS, he came across like a jerk. Army though, always seemed like a nice guy. Glad to see he's in front of the camera.

The only story I ever heard about Orpik first hand, is pretty funny....

I had a buddy who was unreal at roller hockey, and he had Marcus Pettersson type reach which made it a nightmare to go around him.

In Orpik’s rookie year, he was asked as a publicity thing to play in the Breakout tournament in Pittsburgh. Orpik apparently had never rollerbladed before, and my buddy told me he was tasked with covering him, being his team’s superstar and all.

I asked how he did, and my buddy said quite seriously, “dude, I did great, he only had five goals!”

He said it was impossible to get the puck off of him, legally...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm just so happy to see the Guentzel-Crosby-Rust line working. I know people haven't liked the Crosby-Rust duo in the past, but it's working like I've never seen it work before right now. On paper, it's a great duo, but it has never worked like that on the ice. I think Rust may have cemented himself as Crosby's long term RWer, which basically means that Guentzel-Crosby-Rust is their top line for at least the next 4 years.

Pearson-Malkin-Simon also looked absolutely great, I wish we could see that line when everyone is healthy but that's really hard to do. I think they should keep Pearson and Malkin together though, they seem to complement each other well and I think Pearson's shot with Malkin's playmaking is a good match.

Pettersson looked fantastic once again, it's crazy how good Pettersson-Johnson has been. I don't have any negatives about last night, coming back from 3-0, out-scoring a team 7-1 in the 2nd and 3rd and putting up 6 on an elite goalie in Gibson is a great night.

They kept going back to Crosby and Rust even when it wasnt working. Itd be naive to think it wasnt Crosby who wanted him on his line. Maybe he saw the next Dupuis...who knows.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Phil Kessel has 50 points in 44 games and because we had a bad 1st period last night there were people here saying he's been awful all year and needs to be traded. Absolutely genius brain stuff.
This board has more mood swings than a 13 year old girl. Sports has a funny way of doing that to people. Maybe it allows people to release their pent up emotions in a safe way. I mean, we can't act that way with people we get frustrated with in everyday life.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Phil Kessel has 50 points in 44 games and because we had a bad 1st period last night there were people here saying he's been awful all year and needs to be traded. Absolutely genius brain stuff.

Alot of that is probably based on last years playoffs. We all know Kessel can put up points but after the playoffs last year there were concerns.

Whatever prob he had(injury..worn out..whatever) it was something we havent seen before.

Ive never wanted him traded this year tho...we won 2 cups in his first two years and last years loss we had multiple injuries and Murray off his game. You dont trade Kessel away after that when he was a huge factor in those back to back cups.

We did a good job Imo in adding more depth this time. Pearson a guy who can score here and there(doesnt have the speed as Hagelin but we needed goals in that series loss and Hags cant finish). Cullen is back. Now add someone else , moving Brassard out and we are in great shape.

Pettersson and Riikola have also added alot to this defense so far..youth..more energy..etc.

Like I said now we need to move Brassard and to really top it off...add some skill to our 4th line by trying guys like Angello/Blueger with Cullen. Maybe one stands out and sticks with the big club when Hornqvist comes back. Even when ZAR does and those young guys get sent down...they now have some experience in case we have more injuries.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I still think Phil could and maybe should be traded to shore up our defense and improve our 2-way play. Yet he was excellent yesterday and I will freely admit that.

I don't see the 2 viewpoints as mutually exclusive.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I’m a Phil Kessel truther.

I wouldn’t trade him this season, but I would certainly look into it near the draft.
We have Phil for 3 more seasons after this one and he is 31. I would not trade that guy. I think it would be a huge mistake. Just my opinion. Not for at least a year or two if he slows down.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Too bad nobody kicked his ass in practice. What a fake tough guy. Overrated, too. Even when he was in his "prime". People talk about "The shift" in the finals but I'm not impressed by him throwing 4 hits in a 15 second span. The only reason why he could throw 4 hits in a single shift was because he never won any of those battles to get possession of the puck.

That’s the best part of “the shift”. The Penguins never have possession of the puck because Orpik keeps going out of position to hit people.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We have Phil for 3 more seasons after this one and he is 31. I would not trade that guy. I think it would be a huge mistake. Just my opinion. Not for at least a year or two if he slows down.

I dunno. He's an enigma.

I'm open to MULTIPLE B players if it costs ONE A player, though. If Kessel doesn't bring that back, it's a harder sell for me.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Then I hope you are happy with some absolutely **** center depth next year.
Pick and choose the fights man. No team is flawless. But dumping a major point producer could bite the team.
I dunno. He's an enigma.

I'm open to MULTIPLE B players if it costs ONE A player, though. If Kessel doesn't bring that back, it's a harder sell for me.
I don't disagree. Getting sure shot solid players in return is the issue. What if we moved Kessel for a Brassard-like bust. Everyone would be freaking out, shoulda kept Phil. Shoulda kept Phil.
It's a tough one, but I say keep him. Dont care how unpopular that opinion is either. He fits in the Sid / Geno era window.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pick and choose the fights man. No team is flawless. But dumping a major point producer could bite the team.

I don't disagree. Getting sure shot solid players in return is the issue. What if we moved Kessel for a Brassard-like bust. Everyone would be freaking out, shoulda kept Phil. Shoulda kept Phil.
It's a tough one, but I say keep him. Dont care how unpopular that opinion is either. He fits in the Sid / Geno era window.

And having 4 30+ players in our top six can also very easily turn us into the Hawks or the Kings.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can never utterly decide how I feel about a Kessel trade. I don't think it's an automatically bad idea but it'd be easy to lose and really hurt the team. But get the right players in who really fit the team...

In any case, I'm enjoying the Phil show.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I can never utterly decide how I feel about a Kessel trade. I don't think it's an automatically bad idea but it'd be easy to lose and really hurt the team. But get the right players in who really fit the team...

He’s an absolute game breaker. While there are players better than him he’s pretty high up there in players who can turn things around quickly on their own. He has his flaws and they get exposed sometimes but he’s a proven match winner. The right deal though if you can get it has to be looked at.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
missed the first two periods, but got to the bar just in time for the 3rd

0c4jsojvp2n11.gif

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

He’s an absolute game breaker. While there are players better than him he’s pretty high up there in players who can turn things around quickly on their own. He has his flaws and they get exposed sometimes but he’s a proven match winner. The right deal though if you can get it has to be looked at.
I would be shocked if we can actually land the right deal for Kessel. It would have to be a star for star kind of deal imo. You simply don't win stars for parts deals in the short term. And we aren't making trades for the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad