Post-Game Talk: Pens 7, Ducks 4: So @ColePens Wrote, So It Came to Pass . . . Until Geno Defied The Sacred Scrolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
What a game. Pettersson is in my opinion our second best Dman after Letang. 1st and 2nd lines were great but 3rd was just one man line. But what a beast Kessel was. Beautiful passes and moves all night long. Sadly his linemates were ghosts. Crosby and Malkin played great game too.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I was too tired to stay up for the game (I just got back from camping) but great to see Malkin stepping up and this team coming back from 3 goals down. Oh and of course I have to laugh that Crosby gets only 1 assist in a seven goal game when he's been playing like a beast lately. Hard to say a guy who has won so much can't catch a break but it certainly seems like it sometimes.

Reactions: BHD

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
One of the greatest things Malkin has done in his career was beating up Craig Adams at practice.
Got him good too. :laugh:
iu

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Gutted I didn't watch this. Stupid west coast.

But lets be honest, I'd have gone to bed after the 1st.

Gutted that Sid didn't get more points (didn't look like Tanger got many either). Delighted that Geno/Simon seems to be a thing.

Completely unsurprised to see negative discussion home in on three players and while I didn't see, I don't know how legit it is, those three players have been looking bad most of the season and I increasingly think are making it very easy to trade them if the price is right for replacements.

I mean, how legit is that? This is literally the first time I've heard that. You'd think if it was well known, there'd be a lot more coverage than some random tweet/post about it.

Also, *if* it happened, it was due to Sid being out with the concussion and it being unknown if he'd ever return, not because he was playing but they lost faith in his leadership capability.

Not the first time I've seen this story here.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Disappointed I didn't watch (11:00 start for in the Maritimes). I don't know what to make of the boxscore. Not that I want this team to be down 3-0 every game, but the fact they went on to score 7(!) is good. I guess.... :laugh:

Reactions: ColePens and Peat

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Remember when Crosby had 4 points games? Pepperidge farm remembers.

Still, arguably his best game of the season, he was the catalyst of that big comeback, true leadership.

I love how we never quit, even at 0-3. We kept grinding and it eventually paid off. LGP!

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Sid was so dominate last night. He looked a level above everyone else. There were a couple of shifts in that game 5 on 5 where his line looked like they were playing 5 on 3. The Ducks crowd got a treat watching him dominate, despite him not hitting the scoresheet hard.

Sprong looked pretty pumped up early on, but he finished a minus 1 on the night. Pettersson nailed the post on a good look sneaking in off the point. Both players seem to have more confidence now.

Nice to see Phil and Geno contribute, especially after Geno’s brain fart that lead to the shorty.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also - a big shout out to Phil! Great to hear he was buzzing.

If there is one thing I solemnly believe, it's that when our 5 best players are on there's no better elite core in the league and that we are close to invincible when it happens.

Disappointed I didn't watch (11:00 start for in the Maritimes). I don't know what to make of the boxscore. Not that I want this team to be down 3-0 every game, but the fact they went on to score 7(!) is good. I guess.... :laugh:

#ForgedInAdversity

(or some motivational stuff like that)

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
What a game, like a movie in the good sense of the word. All that drama and emotions and turnarounds. Sure, the Ducks are a bad and demoralized team but coming back from 3-0 down and that potentially back-breaking goal for 4-3 is huge. So happy that Geno redeemed himself and Murray stood tall after the bad start. Sid's line was insane, it was like an extended PP out there for large stretches of the game, can't believe he only got an EN point. Kessel, what can you say, what an effort especially for the GWG. Good thing we signed Guentzel already because if he keeps playing like that...

Now if only Simon could finish more chances, I like the guy I really do, he is a good passer and battles hard but he has so many chances in each and every game. But for the money we pay him, he is great, no doubt. It's just that he could be even better.

Please wake up Brassard, Sheahan is more noticeable than you and that empty net miss was bad.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
That didn’t suck at all. Hopefully gives a jolt to Malkin’s line going forward. A lot to like after the first.

Anaheim are baaaad this session though. Must be noted, but winning by three after being down by three after 20 still takes some guts and pride.

Nice to see.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Checking the stat sheet on a game like this is fun when you wake up (I fell asleep when the Pens made it 3-2).

What actually perked me up the most was seeing 9:19 minutes of ice time for Brachiating Brian Gibbons - Big Gibby! He lives!

Reactions: EightyOne

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sid with zero shots but his linemates with a combined 12.

Rust has to get that puck up...wide open net if he lifts it.

On Jake's first goal, Crosby skates right by Gibson distracting him. Heads up play by Guentzel to wait for that.

6 mil per year...lol.

Now trade Brassard for another pending UFA who fits. Or even for a first round pick + prospect...Idc. We are doing great without him doing anything. Wouldnt mind adding to our system. But if we can get a guy to help for this playoff run Im down for that too. Either way he has to go...no more injury excuses.

Btw would love to see Blueger and Angello on our 4th line with Cullen instead . Would be much better on both sides of the ice. But a skilled 4th line for Sully? Not anymore.

Angello should be their wet dream for the fourth line. Guess having some skill and being a good skater is hurting his chances.

Tired of the excuse of guys like Wilson being safe as a reason to be in the lineup. He can’t even take a pass without it blowing off his stick, and he’s so offensively inept, he thought Sprong was still on his team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean, how legit is that? This is literally the first time I've heard that. You'd think if it was well known, there'd be a lot more coverage than some random tweet/post about it.

Also, *if* it happened, it was due to Sid being out with the concussion and it being unknown if he'd ever return, not because he was playing but they lost faith in his leadership capability.

I heard/read about it as well back then, and Orpik is one of the names I remember rumored to be leading the charge. It was because of the concussion issues, but kicking a man when he’s down like that is pretty low. You don’t really need an official C so... not sure wth they were thinking.

Reactions: Shady Machine

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Pens we saw last night is the one that won back to back championships. A fast, tenacious group that refuses to quit when their backs are up against the wall.

Remember a couple of months ago when some people around here were discussing how high we could potentially be picking in the first round? Good times.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I heard/read about it as well back then, and Orpik is one of the names I remember rumored to be leading the charge. It was because of the concussion issues, but kicking a man when he’s down like that is pretty low. You don’t really need an official C so... not sure wth they were thinking.
Orpik was always a big ******, it's not that surprising. Cooke is a weasel, Adams was probably a hall monitor in school, that loser would snitch to the coaches if somebody was complaining.....wait, does Adams drive an uber now?

Staal was the only surprising one there, I didn't think he was quite like that.

I wasn't surprised by the names of the people against it. All are stand up guys by every account and I always liked Asham long before he was a Pen.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean this does nothing to dissuade the belief that this team’s flaws are 75% effort related... which makes it frustrating because it probably doesn’t need addressed but makes when they play badly so annoying cause you know they can do better

Also the biggest flaw in the sully system he has used here in the playoffs is it is so reliant on shot blocking....but we have ditched so many of the natural shot blockers lately and the guys we have will, but many only when the gameis big enough to matter .

I get that keeps injurys down but it sucks when they play lazy hockey and don’t do the back end stuff to boot, then bleed goals...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Orpik was always a big ******, it's not that surprising. Cooke is a weasel, Adams was probably a hall monitor in school, that loser would snitch to the coaches if somebody was complaining.....wait, does Adams drive an uber now?

Staal was the only surprising one there, I didn't think he was quite like that.

I wasn't surprised by the names of the people against it. All are stand up guys by every account and I always liked Asham long before he was a Pen.

Cooke was supposed to be a good teammate so his name surprises me as well as Staal.

I heard a few beat guys suggest Adams was a brown noser with DB, which explains a ton about his time as a Pen.

I know Madden is pretty hated on here, but he has legit sources, and he also claims Adams was a surly presence in the locker room.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm just so happy to see the Guentzel-Crosby-Rust line working. I know people haven't liked the Crosby-Rust duo in the past, but it's working like I've never seen it work before right now. On paper, it's a great duo, but it has never worked like that on the ice. I think Rust may have cemented himself as Crosby's long term RWer, which basically means that Guentzel-Crosby-Rust is their top line for at least the next 4 years.

Pearson-Malkin-Simon also looked absolutely great, I wish we could see that line when everyone is healthy but that's really hard to do. I think they should keep Pearson and Malkin together though, they seem to complement each other well and I think Pearson's shot with Malkin's playmaking is a good match.

Pettersson looked fantastic once again, it's crazy how good Pettersson-Johnson has been. I don't have any negatives about last night, coming back from 3-0, out-scoring a team 7-1 in the 2nd and 3rd and putting up 6 on an elite goalie in Gibson is a great night.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Of course that would be a Orpik idea. **** that turncoat.
Too bad nobody kicked his ass in practice. What a fake tough guy. Overrated, too. Even when he was in his "prime". People talk about "The shift" in the finals but I'm not impressed by him throwing 4 hits in a 15 second span. The only reason why he could throw 4 hits in a single shift was because he never won any of those battles to get possession of the puck.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Cooke was supposed to be a good teammate so his name surprises me as well as Staal.

I heard a few beat guys suggest Adams was a brown noser with DB, which explains a ton about his time as a Pen.

I know Madden is pretty hated on here, but he has legit sources, and he also claims Adams was a surly presence in the locker room.
I liked Cooke as a hockey player, he was a good player. Dirty as hell but could play the game. He did strike me as a weasel though. When Fleury would prank ex-teammates it came across as natural and fun. When Cooke did it, it just seemed forced and try hard. There's just something about him.... I got the same feeling from Orpik too way back during that Chasing the Dream show when he was in WBS, he came across like a jerk. Army though, always seemed like a nice guy. Glad to see he's in front of the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad