Post-Game Talk: Pens 6 - Oil 5

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The problem is we only look good when we ride our horses and they'll give out over the season this way. McDavid played 28 and a half minutes !!

We need to find a way to put together a 4th line that can play 8 minutes without going -2.

Also just send Bouchard down if he's not gonna play.

You know your team is bad when...

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
The thing about Koskinen is I have no idea where he’ll be, he might be butt awful or pretty good. Especially when you consider his average sv% in the KHL is just that, average (15th or 16th among goalies with a good amount of games played)

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Todd needs to cut down on some of his player usage, some of its stupid too, like does McDavid really need to be out at the end of a PK?

I get we're not the deepest team, but this could be a problem later in the season playing so many minutes.
and playing the fourth line after the team gets scored on or after a pk is actually killed. He played the 4th line 1 shift in the 3rd and they got scored on. The concerning part for me is it happens every game with the same players and he just won't divert from his plan no matter what. Hell if Benning wasn't injured you can be assured he'd be in the lineup even though he spends 90 percent of his time trying to make up for his own mental breakdowns.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
I would have liked more saves but to say that Talbot didn't make any big saves is disingenuous. He saved two breakaways, Crosby's backhand and Letang's OT chance.

I'll take the point. That's not an oiler positive, it's a cold hard fact.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Frustrating, entertaining, and everything else.

This game had everything, but it still had me at the end of the game going:

tenor.gif

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Bouch is gonna play less than 10 minutes, might as well send him down and call up Bear.

Exactly. If Todd refuses to play him then send him back.

Kid has a great game in Nashville where he was our best D man then gets rewarded tonight with virtually no ice time.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Also, I want Koskinen to play next game, but that could either go really well or really badly against Ovi, Kuzy, Oshie, Carlson, and co. Don't want him getting lit up playing his first game against an offensive powerhouse like the Caps, but it's time to put him in.

Yep he will probably get shelled (because he is rusty) and then loose his confidence and then they will put Talbot in, and he wont have confidence because he was terrible tonight. Hopefully our goaltenders have thick skin and hopefully the coach can learn to put them in good situations (I doubt it).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I know we lost but what an entertaining game. There was 10 times the positives in this loss than there was in any of our wins this season. I've been pessimistic since last season and into the offseason, this game gave me hope. Why? We saw the Oilers actually create in the O Zone. I forgot they even had the ability with how they were playing for awhile now.

Another big reason I have a glimmer of hope. This game reminded me so much of the March 10, 2017 battle between the Pens and Oilers. In that game, where the Oilers also lost in extra time I saw a team I hadn't seen all season. A fast team, that could execute passes, that could create chances like the other contenders in the league. We ended up outshooting them 42-30 in that game similar to today where we were all over them offensively.

After that loss in 2016-2017 to the Pens the Oilers found a groove and went 11-3-1 to end the season. I've always pinpointed that exact game as the game I knew we were good enough to not only make the playoffs but compete in the playoffs. I think that's the game the team started to really beleive in themselves and click too.

Maybe I'm drawing too many parallels, and looking through rose coloured glasses after a very exciting game. But let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if we see a faster, quicker, more dangerous team after this one.

Here's the highlights from that game to refresh your memory:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Injuries are starting to expose the Oiler's lack of depth even more. McDavid and RNH playing the minutes they're playing is not sustainable.

Chia needs to add some depth... Brodz and Kass are disappointing

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, I like Bouchard, and think he's going to be solid for us moving forward, but its pretty clear that the coaches don't trust him. Bring Bear back up and send Bouchard back to junior. We don't want to have to expose him in the Seattle expansion draft, and it's not like we're making the playoffs this year anyhow.

I think he'll get his 9 games then get sent down. Even if he isn't playing too much, I think 9 games plus the NHL practices that come with that are going to be beneficial to his development. Especially since he already looks like an NHL defenceman.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Also, I want Koskinen to play next game, but that could either go really well or really badly against Ovi, Kuzy, Oshie, Carlson, and co. Don't want him getting lit up playing his first game against an offensive powerhouse like the Caps, but it's time to put him in.

Capital's next? Woof, who made this schedule? CalgaryPuck?

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think he'll get his 9 games then get sent down. Even if he isn't playing too much, I think 9 games plus the NHL practices that come with that are going to be beneficial to his development. Especially since he already looks like an NHL defenceman.

Agreed. The 9 games up in the bigs will really help him long term. But the Oilers management aren't exactly known for making astute personnel moves, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: ujju2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they should give Koskinen the Nashville game. He needs to start at some point, but Washington is probably a tougher situation for a goalie to face as his first game of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->