Series Talk: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Some people don't like fancy stats, but here's what the Pens' lines look like as currently constructed.

GUENTZEL---CROSBY---RUST
5on5 TOI together: 644:19
Goals For: 34
Goals Against: 24
Corsi For %: 53.71
xGF%: 52.30
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 64.63%

ZUCKER---MALKIN---KAPANEN
5on5 TOI together: 141:46
Goals For: 7
Goals Against: 5
Corsi For %: 51.91
xGF%: 58.33
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 74.71%

MCCANN---CARTER---GAUDREAU
5on5 TOI together: 39:15
Goals For: 6
Goals Against: 0
Corsi For %: 51.52
xGF%: 59.02
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 26.32

ASTON-REESE---BLUEGER---TANEV
5on5 TOI together: 140:01
Corsi For %: 48.21
xGF%: 50.60
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 20.83%

The production of the bottom two lines is really intriguing. They can create offense despite started in the defensive zone roughly 75% of the time. And they're responsible defensively, although they haven't been together as long.

Also, even Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen hasn't really been together all that long. Given time, they could further coalesce (and they haven't been bad from a production standpoint).

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
ZAR-TB-Tanev has never been scored on and have scored 6 goals at 5v5. They've done this while starting in the DZone 57 times, NZone 35x, and OZ 15 times. I employ you to be more comfortable with this line and their results ;) and not break it up. It is a game changing line to deploy against L1s and every forward has enough defensive ability to neutralize players well above their individual skill levels. They allow Crosby's and Malkin's line to not start shifts in D zone.

We all share concern on Zucker and Malkin's effectiveness together.
I understand the want for a shutdown line. They weren't that against the Habs, the only time they've ever been a line together in the playoffs iirc.

I'd rather sort out Geno's line with someone that will do the dirty work and defensive play since he's gimped up good and Kap's gonna need to be the offensive driver there. Tanev does that, imo.

hskey

Apr 7, 2009
That's amazing forward depth, I love the look of our 3rd and 4th lines.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I understand the want for a shutdown line. They weren't that against the Habs, the only time they've ever been a line together in the playoffs iirc.

I'd rather sort out Geno's line with someone that will do the dirty work and defensive play since he's gimped up good and Kap's gonna need to be the offensive driver there. Tanev does that, imo.

Maybe.

The current Malkin line has not had good results (considering their zone starts are powder-puff soff), AND still get out-chanced greatly: High Danger CF% of 34%. How you can start 3/4 faceoffs in the Offensive zone and still get outshot 35/65 with scoring chances is a huge concern. This line will lose PIT hockey games if this continues. They got lucky so far and have barely outscored the opposition, but I don't expect it to last because they are losing all other metrics. Just about any other line will have more favorable results considering they start 200ft from their own net 75% of the time and don't even have to enter the O-zone. This will be exploited and I don't think Tanev fixes Malkin's poor defense, but he may help maintain zone time vs Zucker. Malkin will need to fix his D personally as everything is pointing to "him" being most of the issue.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Maybe.

The current Malkin line has not had good results (considering their zone starts are powder-puff soff), AND still get out-chanced greatly: High Danger CF% of 34%. How you can start 3/4 faceoffs in the Offensive zone and still get outshot 35/65 with scoring chances is a huge concern. This line will lose PIT hockey games if this continues. They got lucky so far and have barely outscored the opposition, but I don't expect it to last because they are losing all other metrics. Just about any other line will have more favorable results considering they start 200ft from their own net 75% of the time and don't even have to enter the O-zone. This will be exploited and I don't think Tanev fixes Malkin's poor defense, but he may help maintain zone time vs Zucker. Malkin will need to fix his D personally as everything is pointing to "him" being most of the issue.

The eye test doesn't bare that out for Malkin at all, outside of the first month of the season when he was shit all over the ice. People forget but Malkin was dialed in for the last 10 games he played, and was the primary reason the team took off IMO. Plus, he always dials it up defensively in the playoffs.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Then go get a very difficult job with a bunch of media attention where people blow up whenever you're perceived to have done something wrong, and you'll get the kudos that comes with it too :naughty:

Already working on it, but sadly the only ones who notice are my colleagues. :laugh: That said, the article was an interesting read, so kudos to both @Jesse and Sully.

Reactions: Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe.

I don't think Zucker does much of anything, in any role. At least Tanev is gonna do what he does, and he'll do the dirty work. That's super important for Geno's line, imo, especially when his leg is boogered up to the point where he'll probably be a liability on the ice. Especially if Sully's an idiot and can't get that line away from Barzal's.

Reactions: KIRK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Some people don't like fancy stats, but here's what the Pens' lines look like as currently constructed.

GUENTZEL---CROSBY---RUST
5on5 TOI together: 644:19
Goals For: 34
Goals Against: 24
Corsi For %: 53.71
xGF%: 52.30
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 64.63%

ZUCKER---MALKIN---KAPANEN
5on5 TOI together: 141:46
Goals For: 7
Goals Against: 5
Corsi For %: 51.91
xGF%: 58.33
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 74.71%

MCCANN---CARTER---GAUDREAU
5on5 TOI together: 39:15
Corsi For %: 51.52
xGF%: 59.02
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 26.32

ASTON-REESE---BLUEGER---TANEV
5on5 TOI together: 140:01
Corsi For %: 48.21
xGF%: 50.60
Off. Zone Faceoff %: 20.83%

The production of the bottom two lines is really intriguing. They can create offense despite started in the defensive zone roughly 75% of the time. And they're responsible defensively, although they haven't been together as long.

Also, even Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen hasn't really been together all that long. Given time, they could further coalesce (and they haven't been bad from a production standpoint).

When your bottom 2 lines have not given up a 5v5 goal, that is a good spot to be in. Stay out the box. I think those two stats are going to be glossed over a little too much. Those are huge numbers (ironically). Too many people are too busy shitting in their huggies and throwing tantrums over Jason Zucker when in reality, it's these numbers that will helping us win series. We need this type of performing depth.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

BART was likely let down by our goalie and/or D men. They started 86% in the D zone and still out shot, out chanced (incl high danger) but goals were 1 For & 3 Against. Expected GF% was 55.57% which is great.

On ice SV% - 78.57% ...... terrible

Sometimes you need to use context especially in a small sample size

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
I just see many make the thread about themselves instead of the intended subject. And it if is a human thing to do (to make it about yourselves) it wasn't always like this. In fact I don't think it was like this up until recently. I take a team-centric approach because it about the team, not really about me/us. We're talking about jersey colors and what time the game starts, but at least it's about the team.

Do you or anyone really think we care about what you do in your personal lives? Because I can tell you that 99.9% of us don't. That's not to say that now and then people won't throw out an occasional tid bit about themselves (I have). But when the majority of people talk about their plans on those days or tell us what their doing at game time, their sleep habits, work schedules etc, it' just makes me realize how tone deaf many here are. Not everyone is like that fortunately, but a lot are. I'm just surprised how unaware most are.

You really don't matter. That goes for all of us. It's about the team. Or at least predominately should be. That's why we're here. If you want to talk about yourselves make a forum or thread for that.
Soooooooo ... this wouldn’t be the right place to ask if I should be concerned about the mole on my penis?

I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->