Penner vs. Fehr

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
deathbear said:
both are mennonite communities...tonnes of penner's, friesen's, hildebrand's, etc.

I wonder if all the Penner´s know what their name means in the language of their grand grand grandparents.

In german "Penner" means hobo.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Fehr would have been only 14 years old though. He played AAA when he was 15 and then went to the Wheat Kings. He wouldn't have been even close to the best player on a team of 17 year olds when he was 14.

believe me, he was.

he could skate circles around most of us when he had the puck, he was really big at a young age and protected the puck well. he 7ust didn't use his body to hit anyone.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
mmbt said:
But that's not what you argued, you argued Penner's shot was nowhere near as good, not that he doesn't need to use it. Which is pretty funny since as you freely admit you knew diddly squat about him to begin with, yet you feel qualified to evaluate his shooting ability like some kind of expert on Penner. The guy's displayed a high-quality shot a number of times during the season, but of course you wouldn't know that since you didn't know who he was until the playoffs.

I argued that Fehr has a much better shot, and he does have a much better shot, a 104 mph Shot is not what im talking about because a down low grinding power forward who has a 104 mph shot is non relevant.........its not like hes sitting on the blueline pounding the shots on net........the only shot that matters for him is his wrist shot or snap shot and it surely is not in the same class as Fehr's wrist shot.

I didnt argue that Penner didnt have a harder shot, in no way does a 104 mph shot = better for a forward and i thought you realized that the wrist shot was what mattered........my mistake.

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
Fehr isnt a good enough skater to be a bigtime player in the NHL. Reminds me of Milan Kraft, a big scorer in the WHL, a big scorer in the AHL, but wont produce much in the NHL. Although he could get points by default if he plays with AO.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I argued that Fehr has a much better shot, and he does have a much better shot ...

You say that Fehr has a much better shot than Penner, a player you freely admitted that you knew nothing about before the playoffs. IOW, you're basing your opinion of Penner on nothing. Brilliant.

I didnt argue that Penner didnt have a harder shot, in no way does a 104 mph shot = better for a forward and i thought you realized that the wrist shot was what mattered........my mistake.

You're right, 104 mph doesn't matter, I wouldn't argue that. But if you'd watched a few of his goals this season (which you obviously didn't) you'd have known he really does have a good shot ... he gets it off quick with a lot of power. If Fehr's shot really is, "twice as good," (whatever the hell that means) then I'll be real disappointed if he isn't popping in 50-60 goals a year within 3 years.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Fehr. I think he'll be a 30 goal guy.

Penner is good too though.

I just think Fehr has more potential, just my opinion though.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
People also get horned up about prospects who have a good few months here or there and all of a sudden overreact and think they are going to be the next big thing all the time around here. IMO Penner will not be......people are comparing this kid to Joe thornton.......I dont think some ppl either understand the game thornton plays at all, or understand the game penner plays..........because they are not similar at all........size is the only thing similar.

Penner will be a power forward in whatever league hes in........not a playmaker, not a sniper.......a guy who stands in front of the net, bangs in ugly goals.
Comparing these 2 guys Fehr and Penner should not have ever happened, so many variables that differ.........age, type player, system........penner having no background as being a good heck even decent player......I guess ill take the proven player who doesnt look like the next flash in the pan over Penner. its my opinion and outside ducks fans i dont see a lot of opinions different.

Seriously, based on all of you're posts about Penner, I don't think you've ever even seen him play.

With that said, I think I will just not read your posts anymore because they hurt to read.

Randall Graves*

Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
The Fehr part surprises me, but not because of Penner. Apparently Penner wasn't that great of high school hockey player and never really developed until he hit the college ranks. I heard that he wasn't the best player on his high school hockey team, but I never knew that Eric Fehr played on that team. That makes a ton of sense.

As for the Penner-Rupp comparison, that's absurd. Anyone who says Penner came out of nowhere like Rupp in 2003 is living under a rock. Anyone who paid any attention to Anaheim or the AHL would've known of Penner. Penner was very awesome in Ducks training camp, stuck up there, was voted to the AHL All-Star game, but missed the game due to being in the bigs, was a second team All-Star despite playing just over half a season, and then came for his big playoff run. Prior to this year you can say Penner came out of nowhere, but you cannot say he was some unkown prior to the Ducks' playoff run. And frankly, despite scoring the cup winner, I didn't think Rupp was all that great in 2003, anyway. He was good, but not one of the best Devils on the ice like Penner was for the Ducks this year.
Well he did basically come out of nowhere unless you followed him closely. But comparing him to Rupp is stupid because he never had a year like this nor did he ever display the same skills.

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
timmy12 said:
Fehr isnt a good enough skater to be a bigtime player in the NHL. Reminds me of Milan Kraft, a big scorer in the WHL, a big scorer in the AHL, but wont produce much in the NHL. Although he could get points by default if he plays with AO.

When your game doesn't rely on puck possesion, you can afford to be a poorer skater. Besides, Kraft was a playmaking center, meaning he had to skate around with the puck. Fehr has the instincts and knows how to get open in the slot. Also, he plays a lot down low, where speedy skating isn't necessarily too important. I'm sure he'd be able to protect the puck from most NHL players relatively well at this point.

Give him more than 2 games in the NHL before you determine that he won't succeed. With his shot, he WILL score goals. If Clark can score 20 playing with Ovechkin, Fehr can easily surpass 30.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
timmy12 said:

Having seen both Kraft and Fehr over 30 times each there is no comparison.......Kraft wasnt a sniper wasnt as rugged wasnt nearly as fast and just didnt have the finishing capabilities of Fehr........Kraft was a decent junior but had no speed whatsoever and was a better passer then scorer.

The knock on Fehr isnt his speed, its his skating stride........he doesnt have a natural skating stride......but he has improved vastly in the last 3 years on it and should continue to.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
mmbt said:
You're right, 104 mph doesn't matter, I wouldn't argue that. But if you'd watched a few of his goals this season (which you obviously didn't) you'd have known he really does have a good shot ... he gets it off quick with a lot of power. If Fehr's shot really is, "twice as good," (whatever the hell that means) then I'll be real disappointed if he isn't popping in 50-60 goals a year within 3 years.

Honestly i was just gonna let this go, but it wasnt even me who said Fehr had a shot twice as good as Penner, However I never said Penner didnt have a "GOOD" shot..........he can have a good shot im not disputing that..........Fehr however has not just a quick shot with power, but extremely accurate.........He is a freaking sniper, do you understand the difference? he can pick corners and get off super fast shots with an unbelievable release on his wrist shot.........Fehr has a "GREAT" shot......and speed has nothing to do with it.

He will be a pure sniper........he will have 40 goal seasons........dunno about 50-60, we will see.

X-SHARKIE

I was at the Hershey Bears game last season, and Fehr didn't do much. He was impressive in game 7 against Portland but he was invisible last night. His passes were intercepted and he never drove to the net to find a soft spot for his shot. I think he lacks the offensive instincts to play on the first line some day.

On the other hand Mike Green played amazing and could be a stud top pairing defenseman in the NHL some day..What a steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad