Penner vs. Fehr

hockeytown5

Aug 19, 2005
Toronto
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I realize how fast Penner has risen to where he is now, I guess I dont believe the level that he played at in the playoffs is as high as he will be long term........there has been nothing in the kid's past to suggest it will be........he was given a good opportunity and made the best of it........but considering this was his 2nd AHL season and only fehr's rookie year the season was not SO far ahead as everyone suggests.........Penner benefitted well from an anaheim team which was depleted in forwards and he was given the chance and did well. We will see if he keeps that up next season, I personally do not think he will.

I am from manitoba and am hoping both players turn out great, I just see a ceiling for fehr that is quite a jump above that of Penner's and with Fehr proving himself at every step he is more the sure thing, not just a flash in the pan type player.

Penner reminds me of a kid new jersey had playing for them during playoffs a few years ago who looked real good and then fell off the face of the planet.....Michael Rupp.....anyone remember him.

You are still writing off Penner's AHL season for whatever reason. 84 points in 57 games would prorate him at 117 points for an 80 game season. That would have put him ahead of the AHL scoring leader by 7 points. The level he played at in the playoffs is exactly the level he played at during the entire year in the AHL. To compare him to Rupp, someone who didn't averaged a point/game in ANY level of major competition (including a stint in the UHL), is insane.

Randall Graves*

Ovechkin8 said:
both should develop into solid NHL players. Penner is a bigger bodied guy and has really soft hands for his size. Fehr's shot is 2 times that of Penner's, he can really rip it. But for someone of his size frame he doesn't have much meat on the bones. However, he doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. Penner could turn into more of a Bertuzzi like player where as Fehr could be more of a Ron Francis type. That's my assesment, take it for what it's worth.
Have you ever seen Penners shot? his slap shot has been clocked at over 100 MPH and he also has a lazer of a wrist shot.

Penner reminds me of a kid new jersey had playing for them during playoffs a few years ago who looked real good and then fell off the face of the planet.....Michael Rupp.....anyone remember him.
except Rupp never displayed the shooting or playmaking tools that Penner has.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

IMO the only things in common between Rupp and Penner is their size. In my opinion the players that play powerforward game ( consistently use their size and strength, which is my definition, with apologies to PF purists) effectively have their skills multiplied by the "size factor". Penner's playmaking and shooting skills are that of the 2nd liner, but what I saw from him in terms of physical dominance is simply amazing. So in my mind this combination makes him definetely a 1st line material.

Back to Rupp. I do not think he displayed much skill, or came anywhere close to Penner in terms of physical dominance. What I remember about Rupp is being opportunistic, right place at the right time.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
RallyKiller said:
Have you ever seen Penners shot? his slap shot has been clocked at over 100 MPH and he also has a lazer of a wrist shot.

except Rupp never displayed the shooting or playmaking tools that Penner has.

Penner may have a hard shot, but thats clearly not what the poster was talking about, Fehr has probably the best wrist shot in the AHL and will be one of the top in the NHL very soon. you seriously under estimate Fehr's sniping ability......he will be a big scorer because of his shot.

Rupp reminds me of Penner because he showed up one playoff and then fell off the face of the earth, a lot like i believe Penner will. its an opinion, we will see in the future how that works.

I think that a lot of people saw Penner have some success this year and all of a sudden are throwing out comparisons to Bertuzzi, Guerin, Nash and other power forwards who had and have shown major seasons many times over. to this point Penner has not even played a regular season in the NHL......lets wait till then to be calling him the next big star.

Mostly it seems ducks fans that are overrating him which is understandable, but why arent the ducks fans talking about their better prospects? such as perry, or getzlaf.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Penner may have a hard shot, but thats clearly not what the poster was talking about, Fehr has probably the best wrist shot in the AHL and will be one of the top in the NHL very soon. you seriously under estimate Fehr's sniping ability......he will be a big scorer because of his shot.

Alright man, we understand that you think the world of Fehr, but please get over your hatred for Penner. IIRC, the guy was clocked at 104MPH in Portland AND he has a really nice wrist shot. Those aren't even his greatest assets though. His ability to get control of (and keep) the puck down low and his knack for finding guys open in the slot are waht really make him dangerous.

Rupp reminds me of Penner because he showed up one playoff and then fell off the face of the earth, a lot like i believe Penner will. its an opinion, we will see in the future how that works.

Then I guess Phaneuf reminds me of Sandis Ozolinsh because they both suck in the playoffs. Does that mean that Phaneuf will become an alcoholic as well? I guess we'll see.

Seriously man, you're not comparing the right things here. Do Rupp and Penner share any characteristics/skills besides height? That's what I thought.

I think that a lot of people saw Penner have some success this year and all of a sudden are throwing out comparisons to Bertuzzi, Guerin, Nash and other power forwards who had and have shown major seasons many times over. to this point Penner has not even played a regular season in the NHL......lets wait till then to be calling him the next big star.

First off, I haven't seen one comparison to Guerin or Nash. So far I've seen Bertuzzi the most and some comparisons to Joe Thornton. I think the Joe comparison is going overboard at his point but the Bertuzzi one seems pretty logical.

Mostly it seems ducks fans that are overrating him which is understandable, but why arent the ducks fans talking about their better prospects? such as perry, or getzlaf.

No it's mostly just you that is underrating him. Penner=Rupp is laughable.

Penner easily played the best out of any of our rookies in the playoffs. I honestly think he was THE best Duck forward on the ice when he was here (Todd Marchant could make a case).

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Then I guess Phaneuf reminds me of Sandis Ozolinsh because they both suck in the playoffs. Does that mean that Phaneuf will become an alcoholic as well? I guess we'll see.

this is ridiculous i choose not to even waste time on this

Seriously man, you're not comparing the right things here. Do Rupp and Penner share any characteristics/skills besides height? That's what I thought.

Rupp came out of nowhere, much like Penner and had a good playoff run, Rupp then fell of the face of the earth...we will see where Penner ends up.

First off, I haven't seen one comparison to Guerin or Nash. So far I've seen Bertuzzi the most and some comparisons to Joe Thornton. I think the Joe comparison is going overboard at his point but the Bertuzzi one seems pretty logical.
Comparing him to Guerin or Nash would be better at this point then comparing him to Bertuzzi, do you forget that only a cple years ago Bertuzzi was the best power forward in the world and almost had 50 goal seasons and 100 point seasons on the leagues top line? Penner has a hell of a long ways to get near this level.

Penner easily played the best out of any of our rookies in the playoffs. I honestly think he was THE best Duck forward on the ice when he was here (Todd Marchant could make a case).

Personally i thought that Getzlaf was more dangerous then Penner......Penner is a guy who gets the ugly goals, say hes got good hands all u like but 90% of his career goals will be scored within 5 feet of the net where getzlaf has a much better wrist shot as well and will be more productive much like Fehr.

Last edited:

Randall Graves*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Ok but I have a hard time believing Fehr's is 'twice as good' when Penner can fire it at around 100 MPH.

Did Rupp ever score average 1.5 PPG in the AHL or at any other level?

And people like you underrate him by comparing him to Rupp or others saying his ability is that of a 3rd liner..so it evens out.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
this is ridiculous i choose not to even waste time on this

Obviously I was just *****ing around. But you deserve that shoved in your face when you compare a top prospect to a facking no-name.

Rupp came out of nowhere, much like Penner and had a good playoff run, Rupp then fell of the face of the earth...we will see where Penner ends up.

Once again, if you're expecting Penner to become Rupp, you've got another thing comin'.

Comparing him to Guerin or Nash would be better at this point then comparing him to Bertuzzi, do you forget that only a cple years ago Bertuzzi was the best power forward in the world and almost had 50 goal seasons and 100 point seasons on the leagues top line? Penner has a hell of a long ways to get near this level.

Reading comprehension man. Did I say Bertuzzi from a couple years ago?

Personally i thought that Getzlaf was more dangerous then Penner......Penner is a guy who gets the ugly goals, say hes got good hands all u like but 90% of his career goals will be scored within 5 feet of the net where getzlaf has a much better wrist shot as well and will be more productive much like Fehr.

I understand it's your opinion, but there is seriously no way that Getzlaf was better than Penner. So far, most of Penner's goals have been hard-working come out of the corner types, or they have been off of nice shots. Most Ducks fans would like to see him score more from in front of the net, so you are wrong 'bout that.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Let me clear something up. Saying a shot is 'fast' or 'hard' doesn't mean it is 'good'. Someone can shoot 104 mph all he wants, it doesn't make his shot good.

When someone says that Fehr has a better shot, they don't mean it is harder. It very well could be harder, because Fehr has a rocket - but the best part about his shot is his ability to disguise his release and hit any spot he wants, from anywhere. As he becomes a pro, Fehr will be among the very best shots in the league, much like Brett Hull.

Now, I'm not saying that Penner has a bad shot or anything, I just see people arguing about shooting ability and using speed to justify their position, when that doesn't tell half the tale.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
MBJets said:
Fehr by a mile (Fehr 40+ goal man) (Penner 20+ Goal man). Fehr is from Winkler and Penner is from Steinbach.

uh. no. he's not from steinbach. i know him, and played against him and fehr when they were both on the same high school team in 99/00.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I don't think the Rupp comparison is very fair or accurate. Rupp was already labelled a bust, he was on his second team and he only got one goal on a Stanley Cup winning team. A better comparison would be Trent Hunter.

When Hunter joined the Isles for the playoff run against Toronto he was every bit as terrific as Penner was this year, only the Isles didn't make it out of the first round and Hunter was only brought in for the last four games. When he did play, Trent Hunter was one of the best Islanders and he got a goal and an assist in those four games. More importanlty than the statistical comparison (which is flawed because Hunter only got four games in), Hunter was one of the Islanders best players, like Penner was this year. He was a physical force and controlled the puck and play almost every time he was on the ice. A very impressive playoff.

I think Dustin Penner and Trent Hunter are pretty similar players with pretty simlar futures. Penner will probably put up 10 more points per year.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
deathbear said:
uh. no. he's not from steinbach. i know him, and played against him and fehr when they were both on the same high school team in 99/00.

yeah, they're both from winkler.. tho there are tons of penners in steinbach.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
and by the way, my team finished ahead of winkler that same year. you'd think a team with the two of them would have dominated, but they didn't... at all.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
Le Golie said:
Let me clear something up. Saying a shot is 'fast' or 'hard' doesn't mean it is 'good'. Someone can shoot 104 mph all he wants, it doesn't make his shot good.

Yeah, you're right. The speed of a shot is the easiest to describe in words (or numbers in this case), so that tends to be what people talk about at least over the internet.

But seriously, when Penner decides to shoot, he's got a real good wrister and a heavy shot that is on target most of the time.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
yeah they always have wacky storms and near tornados. i still go out there on wednesdays for wings.. some of the best you'll ever eat. where you from?

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Penner has sort of come from nowhere this season, and if you hadn't heard of him before the season it wouldn't be surprising. But if anyone didn't at least know who he was by the time he got called up by the Ducks then all that means is they didn't pay any attention to the AHL this year, because he was clearly one of the best handful of players in that league.

There's a reason why some posters around here have started making trade proposals to get Penner this season, which certainly suggests that 1) he's a far better prospect than Rupp was, and 2) people think he has a heck of a lot more potential than the third line. Because last I checked, folks around here don't make a habit of offering up trade proposals for prospects who project as checkers.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
deathbear said:
and by the way, my team finished ahead of winkler that same year. you'd think a team with the two of them would have dominated, but they didn't... at all.

The Fehr part surprises me, but not because of Penner. Apparently Penner wasn't that great of high school hockey player and never really developed until he hit the college ranks. I heard that he wasn't the best player on his high school hockey team, but I never knew that Eric Fehr played on that team. That makes a ton of sense.

As for the Penner-Rupp comparison, that's absurd. Anyone who says Penner came out of nowhere like Rupp in 2003 is living under a rock. Anyone who paid any attention to Anaheim or the AHL would've known of Penner. Penner was very awesome in Ducks training camp, stuck up there, was voted to the AHL All-Star game, but missed the game due to being in the bigs, was a second team All-Star despite playing just over half a season, and then came for his big playoff run. Prior to this year you can say Penner came out of nowhere, but you cannot say he was some unkown prior to the Ducks' playoff run. And frankly, despite scoring the cup winner, I didn't think Rupp was all that great in 2003, anyway. He was good, but not one of the best Devils on the ice like Penner was for the Ducks this year.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
The Fehr part surprises me, but not because of Penner. Apparently Penner wasn't that great of high school hockey player and never really developed until he hit the college ranks. I heard that he wasn't the best player on his high school hockey team, but I never knew that Eric Fehr played on that team. That makes a ton of sense.

Fehr would have been only 14 years old though. He played AAA when he was 15 and then went to the Wheat Kings. He wouldn't have been even close to the best player on a team of 17 year olds when he was 14.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
As for the Penner-Rupp comparison, that's absurd. Anyone who says Penner came out of nowhere like Rupp in 2003 is living under a rock. Anyone who paid any attention to Anaheim or the AHL would've known of Penner. Penner was very awesome in Ducks training camp, stuck up there, was voted to the AHL All-Star game, but missed the game due to being in the bigs, was a second team All-Star despite playing just over half a season, and then came for his big playoff run. Prior to this year you can say Penner came out of nowhere, but you cannot say he was some unkown prior to the Ducks' playoff run. And frankly, despite scoring the cup winner, I didn't think Rupp was all that great in 2003, anyway. He was good, but not one of the best Devils on the ice like Penner was for the Ducks this year.
The Rupp comparison was simply that they both had good playoff runs and were absolutely unknown the previous year.......sure Penner had a good AHL season but did you know who he was in 04? I seriously doubt it........and if you did your 1 out of a thousand.
Penner could not make any teams as little as 3 years ago......to say that he has risen out of nowhere is not overstating it ......... I'm simply saying i dont see it lasting.....A guy who barely made his high school team in a small town winkler, who could not even make a junior A team let alone a Major Junior team and then all of a sudden he has 1 good year and ppl are calling him the next joe thornton or todd bertuzzi.......imo that is ludicris at this point.

People are trying to say hes as good/better potential then Fehr at this point when Fehr has done absolutely nothing but progress for 3 straight years since being a mid first round pick by the caps.

As for the other guy whos talking about how dominant Penners shot is.......since when did a 104 mph help out a power forward who scores garbage bump and grind goals? im saying Fehr is a top of the circle top of the slot type sniper who has a not only as hard wrist shot but a very quick accurate one of the top wrist shots going. people will see it soon, I saw it for years when he was on the wheat kings and it certainly hasnt lost anything since then.

Also i saw Getzlaf a lot in the past years and he and Fehr's game are going to be very similar IMO..........just thought id throw that in. both will be better then Penner.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
mmbt said:
There's a reason why some posters around here have started making trade proposals to get Penner this season, which certainly suggests that 1) he's a far better prospect than Rupp was, and 2) people think he has a heck of a lot more potential than the third line. Because last I checked, folks around here don't make a habit of offering up trade proposals for prospects who project as checkers.

People also get horned up about prospects who have a good few months here or there and all of a sudden overreact and think they are going to be the next big thing all the time around here. IMO Penner will not be......people are comparing this kid to Joe thornton.......I dont think some ppl either understand the game thornton plays at all, or understand the game penner plays..........because they are not similar at all........size is the only thing similar.

Penner will be a power forward in whatever league hes in........not a playmaker, not a sniper.......a guy who stands in front of the net, bangs in ugly goals.
Comparing these 2 guys Fehr and Penner should not have ever happened, so many variables that differ.........age, type player, system........penner having no background as being a good heck even decent player......I guess ill take the proven player who doesnt look like the next flash in the pan over Penner. its my opinion and outside ducks fans i dont see a lot of opinions different.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
The Rupp comparison was simply that they both had good playoff runs and were absolutely unknown the previous year.......sure Penner had a good AHL season but did you know who he was in 04? I seriously doubt it........and if you did your 1 out of a thousand.

Rupp's "good playoff run," consisted of 4 games, not even one full round, in which he scored one whole goal. And he sure wasn't anywhere near as noticeable as Penner was in the past 3 rounds.

People are trying to say hes as good/better potential then Fehr at this point when Fehr has done absolutely nothing but progress for 3 straight years since being a mid first round pick by the caps.

If we're talking how much they've progressed in 3 years, then you can't ignore the fact that Penner has improved by leaps and bounds each year for the past 4 years.

As for the other guy whos talking about how dominant Penners shot is.......since when did a 104 mph help out a power forward who scores garbage bump and grind goals?

But that's not what you argued, you argued Penner's shot was nowhere near as good, not that he doesn't need to use it. Which is pretty funny since as you freely admit you knew diddly squat about him to begin with, yet you feel qualified to evaluate his shooting ability like some kind of expert on Penner. The guy's displayed a high-quality shot a number of times during the season, but of course you wouldn't know that since you didn't know who he was until the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad