Penner vs. Fehr

hockeytown5

Aug 19, 2005
Toronto
Fehr and Penner were the first and second stars of the Portland/Hershey game tonight. Both guys are going to be judged by their offense in the NHL and oddly enough, both hail from Winkler, Manitoba. So, I decided to pit them against one another.

Who'll be the larger offensive force and what kind of production do you predict from each?

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
I've never actually seen Fehr play so there's not much I can say about him. But, judging from his scouting reports and stats he should be a solid PF in this league.

Regardless of how good Fehr is, I take Penner. He and Bernier are the next generation of dominating PF's in this league.

hab

Jan 19, 2006
fehr by a large margin.. I see him as a 1st line PF, and penner as a 3rd line player

(despite his amazing playoff output). I could see fehr putting up a 50 point rookie

season next year, easily.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Please do not confuse Fehr for a power forward....he's not one. At least not yet.

He's a goal scorer who happens to have a power forward frame to work with. He's still only about 210 or 220 so in order to play a more of a power forward role on any team he's going to have to pack on the muscle. Don't look for the Caps to ask him to do that. He's a sniper/scorer who has a great shot from the slot and the tops of the circles while still learning how to bring that physical aspect to the ice.

He's made great strides this season in terms of defensive play and using the body more and he's only going to keep getting better. But please don't think he's going to be a player like Penner or any other power forward style. Its not his game.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
strungout said:
Please do not confuse Fehr for a power forward....he's not one. At least not yet.

He's a goal scorer who happens to have a power forward frame to work with. He's still only about 210 or 220 so in order to play a more of a power forward role on any team he's going to have to pack on the muscle. Don't look for the Caps to ask him to do that. He's a sniper/scorer who has a great shot from the slot and the tops of the circles while still learning how to bring that physical aspect to the ice.

He's made great strides this season in terms of defensive play and using the body more and he's only going to keep getting better. But please don't think he's going to be a player like Penner or any other power forward style. Its not his game.

100% correct...........while Fehr is going to play in a frame of 6'3" 220 he is not going to be a hitting/physical Bertuzzi,Penner type player.........Fehr's game is Skill.......he has good vision and an awesome wrist shot..........there wont be a lot of wrist shots in the NHL that are better then his once he's in the league for a cple years and gets noticed.

This is a guy who is going to score 40 goals in the NHL playing alongside Ovechkin for years.

Penner had a great playoff with the Ducks. He is not going to end up being a point producer though, he is going to be more the 2nd/3rd line role player who hits and digs in the corner.

While Fehr is not afraid to play the body, he doesnt go out of his way for it either.......he will dig in the corners and has become much more scrappy in the past 2 years then he was originally thought..........that is the main reason people are throwing around the powerforward tag with his name....he simply will be a big forward with lots of skill.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Fehr by a mile (Fehr 40+ goal man) (Penner 20+ Goal man). Fehr is from Winkler and Penner is from Steinbach.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
I wonder what a prospect has to do for you guys to call him a scorer.

Penner already played on the Ducks first line in the playoffs and there´s not much more to say about his AHL performance.
I don´t wanna say he will be Bertuzzi #2 but that´s IMO closer than a third line role player.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
As for here and now, I think no-one can dispute that Penner is better. 3 years down the road, who knows, but IMO Fehr would have to turn into someone like Cheechoo to make it a contest. And while Penner's PF game leaves some to be desired in terms of fighting or bone-crushing hits (which btw I think are overrated), he is going to use his strength to take the puck from you and bring it to the net. And there is not a whole lot that you can do about it. Bertuzzi is not a great comparison, I am thinking more Jason Allison or Joe Thornton type.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
shveik said:
As for here and now, I think no-one can dispute that Penner is better. 3 years down the road, who knows, but IMO Fehr would have to turn into someone like Cheechoo to make it a contest. And while Penner's PF game leaves some to be desired in terms of fighting or bone-crushing hits (which btw I think are overrated), he is going to use his strength to take the puck from you and bring it to the net. And there is not a whole lot that you can do about it. Bertuzzi is not a great comparison, I am thinking more Jason Allison or Joe Thornton type.

Exactly.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
shveik said:

As for here and now Penner has had more opportunity on a better team.

Are you serious Fehr would have to turn into a Rocket Richard winner to make it a "contest" LMFAO that is laughable.

So if he would have to lead the league in goals just to make it a contest you must have Penner as the far and away best player in the nhl already?

Normally I would not come to that conclusion until i read your last comment that he is a joe thornton type player.

Listen, Penner had a nice playoff run..........before this year hes done nothing, he may turn into a nice 50 point player heck maybe 70 someday.........to compare him at this point to Thornton thats dowright ridiculous.......him getting comparisons to Bertuzzi even are ridiculous........how about comparing him to someone like Ryan Malone cuz thats more the class he is in yet not even as good as malone at this point.

Penner has a chance to be a solid contributor but has shown nothing to being one of the more dominant players in the nhl so settle your hopes and dreams a little.

Fehr has shown ability in the past and this season as well, the guy was WHL player of the year in a year Phaneuf was still in the dub.........he had back to back 50 goal seasons in the WHL........was hersheys best rookie this season and led them in points for most of the year.

For what its worth, Fehr has enormous upside compared to Penner.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Fehr won't be a 40+ goal scorer. Not even close.
I'll go this far...

When Fehr makes it to the NHL and if he happens to be on a line with Ovechkin....he scores at least 35 goals; if not more. 40 is possible. 2nd line duty with Semin he'll get at least 25. Maybe not next year as a rookie...but in 2 or 3 years...easy. Chris Clark scored 20 as AO's RW. I could see Fehr doubling that just with his finishing ability alone.

Penner will be scoring but I dont think at the same pace as Fehr since they play different games and will have different roles on thier teams. Fehr is going to be a 1st or 2nd PP unit guy and will be getting minutes on the top 2 lines. He's going to get his chances to score and with AO out there freeing up space...it's only going to increase his chances.

Penner rules...no question...but so does Fehr. Should be neat to pull this thread up in about 2 years and see where they both stand. But comparing them now is just redundant.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Penner is *NOT* a powerforward, not yet atleast.

He's big and he uses his huge size to protect the puck and take punishment but he doesn't have a real mean streak which is a must for a bonafide PF.

I'd love to see Penner get that mean streak to really punish opponents and dish out beatings every now and then but I doubt that will happen.

The term 'powerforward' is thrown around here way too easily anyway, people call players like Forsberg and Cole powerforwards when they are 'only' big forwards who don't mind the rough stuff.

To be a powerforward you need to have a mean streak, you have to be a player that is feared both offensively and physically. A player like Lindros who used (pre-Stevens hit) to drill & steamroll d-men just for 'fun', even when he had the chance to go for the puck instead.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Fehr can stay on the ice and stay healthy (when he makes the NHL for good 2 or so years from now) he should just end up getting points by default.

Like strungout points out, playing with Ovechkin won't really make it harder on him. Chris Clark with 20 goals should basically clear that one up. Heck, there are a few times this year where Fehr almost got a few layups while playing in limited time with Ovey.

that isn't everything, and I think Fehr has enough offensive talent to at least put up some numbers on his own, but being on a line with Ovechkin or Semin down the road should help out immensely.

I think Penner might be a good player down the road, but looking at Chris Clark's year this year, was Penner even better than Clark? (probably some, but by how much?)

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I think I do a good job of not overrating players - so I lay that disclaimer down before I say that I THINK PENNER IS A STUD. Although his rise to very-goodness was meteoric, I feel that he is there to stay. Penner proved he was a first line NHL'er this playoff season - just look at who was out on the ice in the last minute of every game. The other thing is that Randy Carlyle has coached this guy for a couple of years now and has shown that he will use him lots, even double shifting him. Penner is here to stay.

That being said, Fehr can score. He's also younger. But give me Penner any day of the week.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
As for here and now Penner has had more opportunity on a better team.

Are you serious Fehr would have to turn into a Rocket Richard winner to make it a "contest" LMFAO that is laughable.

So if he would have to lead the league in goals just to make it a contest you must have Penner as the far and away best player in the nhl already?

Normally I would not come to that conclusion until i read your last comment that he is a joe thornton type player.

Listen, Penner had a nice playoff run..........before this year hes done nothing, he may turn into a nice 50 point player heck maybe 70 someday.........to compare him at this point to Thornton thats dowright ridiculous.......him getting comparisons to Bertuzzi even are ridiculous........how about comparing him to someone like Ryan Malone cuz thats more the class he is in yet not even as good as malone at this point.

Penner has a chance to be a solid contributor but has shown nothing to being one of the more dominant players in the nhl so settle your hopes and dreams a little.

Fehr has shown ability in the past and this season as well, the guy was WHL player of the year in a year Phaneuf was still in the dub.........he had back to back 50 goal seasons in the WHL........was hersheys best rookie this season and led them in points for most of the year.

For what its worth, Fehr has enormous upside compared to Penner.

For making yourself sound like you know so much, you would think you would take the time to actually look at some stats outside of Fehr's to see what Penner has done. 39 goals in 57 games in the AHL, a league that is the 2nd best league in the world, along with 4 more in the NHL playoffs to with numerous other opportunities to score, and then 2 more in 4 games in the AHL playoffs. That makes 45 goals in 80 games during the course of the season. Yup, he hasn't shown any offensive touch at all.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
MBJets said:
Fehr by a mile (Fehr 40+ goal man) (Penner 20+ Goal man). Fehr is from Winkler and Penner is from Steinbach.

No, they are both from Winkler.

Fehr is a couple years younger, and has more potential than Penner. Penner has been a great learner and has been a terrific student of the game. That led to him becomming an NHL player and he should have a long and productive career.

Fehr, on the other hand, has a lot of talent that can't be taught. His shot release is ridiculous and he's got good hands from in close. He can score a lot of ways. But with all those talents, Fehr still has a lot to learn about positional play in both ends of the ice and he needs to use his size better. Those are things you can learn. So if he turns out to be half the student Penner has been, he will be a better player than Penner and 40+ goals isn't out of the question.

X-SHARKIE

IMO Penner is the more complete of the two, while Fehr has the natural goals scoring hands that could make him a valuable player. I've watched Hershey a few times and he reminds me of Joffrey Lupul in his ability to snipe the puck at times.

I like Penner a lot though and would go with him as he can create more on his own while Fehr needs his line mates to do the dirty and unsung work than he capatilizes on it.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
Kritty said:
For making yourself sound like you know so much, you would think you would take the time to actually look at some stats outside of Fehr's to see what Penner has done.

Seriously.

Penner in Portland: 57GP 39G 45A 84PTS +41
Penner in Anaheim: 19GP 4G 3A 7PTS +3
Playoffs in Portland: 5GP 4G 3A 7PTS +2
Playoffs in Anaheim: 13GP 3G 6A 9PTS +10

Fehr in Hershey: 70GP 25G 28A 53PTS -12
Fehr in Washington: 11GP 0G 0A 0PTS +0
Fehr in Playoffs: 13GP 6G 3A 9PTS +2

Honestly, at this point in time, Fehr is lucking to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Penner.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I'm thinking that the Sept. '82 vs. Sept. '85 birthdates are not insignificant here, but it's no big deal. Both clubs are happy with the progress of their players, and that's all that matters.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Kritty said:
For making yourself sound like you know so much, you would think you would take the time to actually look at some stats outside of Fehr's to see what Penner has done. 39 goals in 57 games in the AHL, a league that is the 2nd best league in the world, along with 4 more in the NHL playoffs to with numerous other opportunities to score, and then 2 more in 4 games in the AHL playoffs. That makes 45 goals in 80 games during the course of the season. Yup, he hasn't shown any offensive touch at all.

pretty sure i said before this year hes done nothing, if i didnt, that is what i meant...........however im almost 100% sure i did. I knew of his season this year.........and also know hes done nothing before it. Fehr has owned for the past 3 years and has shown the talent for years.......penner for all you know is a 1 year wonder. Ill take Fehr all day long over Penner.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
76over39 said:
Seriously.

Penner in Portland: 57GP 39G 45A 84PTS +41
Penner in Anaheim: 19GP 4G 3A 7PTS +3
Playoffs in Portland: 5GP 4G 3A 7PTS +2
Playoffs in Anaheim: 13GP 3G 6A 9PTS +10

Fehr in Hershey: 70GP 25G 28A 53PTS -12
Fehr in Washington: 11GP 0G 0A 0PTS +0
Fehr in Playoffs: 13GP 6G 3A 9PTS +2

Honestly, at this point in time, Fehr is lucking to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Penner.

Your a duck fan, thus you dont see that penner is 3 years older and has much less talent or promise as a prospect then fehr. How did Penner do 3 years ago cuz i forget........had you even heard of him, I guarantee not cuz no one had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->